Ironic how opinions change so much in 1 year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Ironic how opinions change so much in 1 year

Post by CbusVikesFan »

44crm wrote: I am not saying we should have taken Barr over Mosley, I wanted Mosley just as bad as you and there are comments I made last year that state so. If I was in charge I definitely would have taken Mosley, and honestly never would have even thought about taking Barr, was never interested.

My point is just that I think in my mind it was obvious that Mosley was going to be better last year than Barr, but what Barr was able to do at a position he never played really impressed me. I think what he went through to get to the stats he had was a lot more difficult and hampering than what Mosley went through. If that make sense.

I was quietly pissed off when we drafted Barr, I though he was extremely overrated having watched him play in the Pac12. And I do agree that last year was the year to draft ILB. I think there are a few prospects this draft that could amount to great ILB's but they also have equal chance of being busts.

With the progress Barr made last year, I believe he could have a career as good or better than Mosley's, obviously at their different positions and duties it will be hard to tell.
:thumbsup: Tell ya one thing, this may have been the year to invest in a UCLA Linebacker. Kendricks is going to be good.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Purple bruise wrote: I am not exactly sure what point you are trying to make but right up until his injury Barr was right there for defensive ROY of the year. If it is a pat on the back or some kind of kudo your looking for being right about Barr being a bust you are striking out with me anyway. Barr is a stud and will, by all reason, pick right up where he left off :!:
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... abbca75058
Im not "looking" for anything in particular outside of good discussion or entertainment value of how everyone on this board can watch the same game, same plays, and same people, but have such far differing opinions about how good or bad someone played or is as a general player. I don't think Barr is a bust, but I don't see him as the Stud that most of the people on this board like to make him out to be. I guess if its all relative, and we are comparing him to Erin Henderson, or one of the other revolving door of mediocre LBs we have had over the past 10 years, then yeah, he looks pretty good. But if you set him next to some of the top guys that play the position/scheme similar to what he is, then he isn't among the best. And earlier, I was referencing that I pretty much said the same thing about CP84 last year around this time, and feel like I proved myself right. I love the vikings, and I have certain players that I really love to watch and follow closely. But I also see myself as a realist, and Vikings have very few players that are in the top 5 of their respective positions.. even top 10 if you really get down to it. Yet every year, we will have someone talking about how all our guys got screwed out of the Pro Bowl, that we have a top this or top that.. I just haven't found them. AP is as close to a top 5 guy we have, and he didn't play last year at all. Harrison Smith is a great player IMO, but still not cracking top 5 safety.

But hey, I was off the charts wrong about Matt Kalil a couple years ago, I thought he was the second Coming of Joe Thomas.. boy was I wrong.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

KSViking wrote: Im not "looking" for anything in particular outside of good discussion or entertainment value of how everyone on this board can watch the same game, same plays, and same people, but have such far differing opinions about how good or bad someone played or is as a general player. I don't think Barr is a bust, but I don't see him as the Stud that most of the people on this board like to make him out to be. I guess if its all relative, and we are comparing him to Erin Henderson, or one of the other revolving door of mediocre LBs we have had over the past 10 years, then yeah, he looks pretty good. But if you set him next to some of the top guys that play the position/scheme similar to what he is, then he isn't among the best. And earlier, I was referencing that I pretty much said the same thing about CP84 last year around this time, and feel like I proved myself right. I love the vikings, and I have certain players that I really love to watch and follow closely. But I also see myself as a realist, and Vikings have very few players that are in the top 5 of their respective positions.. even top 10 if you really get down to it. Yet every year, we will have someone talking about how all our guys got screwed out of the Pro Bowl, that we have a top this or top that.. I just haven't found them. AP is as close to a top 5 guy we have, and he didn't play last year at all. Harrison Smith is a great player IMO, but still not cracking top 5 safety.

But hey, I was off the charts wrong about Matt Kalil a couple years ago, I thought he was the second Coming of Joe Thomas.. boy was I wrong.
I get your point but you are to quickly giving up on Barr, Kalil and Patterson IMO. Time will tell but I see all three of them having good to great careers. To each their own and as you said we fans watch players and come away with our varied opinions. It would be very boring if we all agreed. :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Would love to see what our team would look like with Deandre Hopkins and CJ Mosley instead of these "physically special" projects we keep getting. If we got adrian back with the way Teddy looks I'd put money on playoffs with them but ah well. Spielman made the choice to swing for the fences so hoping for the best.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

mondry wrote:Would love to see what our team would look like with Deandre Hopkins and CJ Mosley instead of these "physically special" projects we keep getting. If we got adrian back with the way Teddy looks I'd put money on playoffs with them but ah well. Spielman made the choice to swing for the fences so hoping for the best.
I usually agree with most of your comments Mondry but what do you mean about Ricky swinging for the fence?

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I honestly thought Teddy was going to be a bust or close player.. His Pro day was horrible

It would be funny if we got a HOF guy like that
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Purple bruise wrote: I usually agree with most of your comments Mondry but what do you mean about Ricky swinging for the fence?
Just in the sense that he's willing to take raw guys like barr and patterson who have a lot of upside, mostly due to their physical ability but haven't arrived yet as football players. In those two examples CJ mosley and Deandre hopkins are much much much more refined players, you knew what you were getting with them and there wasn't a lot of mystery, like hitting a solid double. With Barr and Patterson you're swinging for the fences, you'll either strike out or hit a home run without much room in between.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

mondry wrote: Just in the sense that he's willing to take raw guys like barr and patterson who have a lot of upside, mostly due to their physical ability but haven't arrived yet as football players. In those two examples CJ mosley and Deandre hopkins are much much much more refined players, you knew what you were getting with them and there wasn't a lot of mystery, like hitting a solid double. With Barr and Patterson you're swinging for the fences, you'll either strike out or hit a home run without much room in between.
Thanks, I got you now.

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think Barr and CP have higher ceilings than the other options (Mosely, Hopkins etc)....whether or not they reach it is completely unknown.
--
It's all gonna play out over the next 3 seasons as to whether or not Spielman made the correct moves.
--
I'm a little(maybe a lot) leery of picking these kinds of 'project' players in the first round....it IS a gamble and probably not one I would make if it were my choice, at least not so frequently or before I had a team that was consistently in the playoffs with fewer holes to fill. I think McKinnon was a similar pick but much more safe in that it was a 3rd pick and that he was to start in the future provided he panned out. Picking these guys in the 1st rd at positions that are in dire need of quality starter types is hard on everyone. But it's Spielman's job and his path to play it this way, I do hope it works out.
-
I think McKinnon was a great pick after seeing him get some carries.
I like Barr and believe he will prove to be worth the risk over the long haul.

I don't know about CP. They gave up a lot to get him. With the Wallace aquisition it takes the pressure off. CP may never top out in meeting his potential or proving his worth against what he cost draftwise...but if he plays a role (even only as a kick returner) in bringing a championship then it's all worth it to me.
-
For me the overall success of the team will outweigh any single player or pick.....and some 7th rounder (like Johnson) could come in and kick a$$ balancing it out.
-
It's an interesting topic and good to see how other fans view and judge talent.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

The Breeze wrote:I think Barr and CP have higher ceilings than the other options (Mosely, Hopkins etc)....whether or not they reach it is completely unknown.
--
It's all gonna play out over the next 3 seasons as to whether or not Spielman made the correct moves.
--
I'm a little(maybe a lot) leery of picking these kinds of 'project' players in the first round....it IS a gamble and probably not one I would make if it were my choice, at least not so frequently or before I had a team that was consistently in the playoffs with fewer holes to fill. I think McKinnon was a similar pick but much more safe in that it was a 3rd pick and that he was to start in the future provided he panned out. Picking these guys in the 1st rd at positions that are in dire need of quality starter types is hard on everyone. But it's Spielman's job and his path to play it this way, I do hope it works out.
-
I think McKinnon was a great pick after seeing him get some carries.
I like Barr and believe he will prove to be worth the risk over the long haul.

I don't know about CP. They gave up a lot to get him. With the Wallace aquisition it takes the pressure off. CP may never top out in meeting his potential or proving his worth against what he cost draftwise...but if he plays a role (even only as a kick returner) in bringing a championship then it's all worth it to me.
-
For me the overall success of the team will outweigh any single player or pick.....and some 7th rounder (like Johnson) could come in and kick a$$ balancing it out.
-
It's an interesting topic and good to see how other fans view and judge talent.
Regarding Barr, I could easily see them moving him as a pass rushing defensive end. A similar move paid dividends with a Mr. Chris Doleman who started out as an outside linebacker and became a dynamic defensive end. They both have very similar pedigrees IMO. In fact, I see a hybrid Doleman and Matt Barr type of player in Anthony Barr.

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I agree on the Barr/Doleman picture...in fact the defensive side of the ball is easier to plug in muti-faceted players IMO. When you have 2-3 guys capable of wrecking a pocket from different places it just makes it tougher on the opposing QB to win at the LOS.
Barr certainly has work to do but I think it's significantly less difficult for him to meet his basic responsibilities as a LB/DE than for CP at WR from the x and o standpoint.
Beyond the AD disaster, the development of Barr, CP and TB will be the most interesting sidestories to next season for me.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Purple bruise wrote:[Regarding Barr, I could easily see them moving him as a pass rushing defensive end. A similar move paid dividends with a Mr. Chris Doleman who started out as an outside linebacker and became a dynamic defensive end. They both have very similar pedigrees IMO. In fact, I see a hybrid Doleman and Matt Barr type of player in Anthony Barr.
I am assuming you mean Matt Blair, but I agree. He looks a lot like Doleman, and I would love to see a player as dominant as he was, and Barr could be that guy. He could be the replacement for Robison in the future.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I am assuming you mean Matt Blair, but I agree. He looks a lot like Doleman, and I would love to see a player as dominant as he was, and Barr could be that guy. He could be the replacement for Robison in the future.
Yeah I meant Matt Blair :oops: