Vikings' Charles Johnson: Long journey worth every minute

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings' Charles Johnson: Long journey worth every minute

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman credits assistant GM George Paton and pro scouting director Ryan Monnens for pouncing on Johnson, and quarterbacks coach Scott Turner and his father, Norv, for developing him.

"It was a pleasant surprise," Spielman said last month. "We're very excited about his potential, his ability."

Tight end Kyle Rudolph, who organized this week's workouts, said Johnson's ascension was no accident.

"I remember when he came in and worked out before the (Week 3) Saints game, you could tell he was a really talented kid and had raw ability," Rudolph said. "He continued to work, and when he got an opportunity he took full advantage of it."
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_27 ... ery-minute
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings' Charles Johnson: Long journey worth every minut

Post by mondry »

What a great story, the guy has completely won me over. Hope he can be a beast for us for a long time to come!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Cool story. I like Johnson a lot. I'm happy for the guy.

In fact, I'm liking the entire WR corps more and more each day. If the Vikings can utilize all that speed, there might be some real fireworks.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Later on in the article it shows many Wideouts, Tight Ends and McKinnon...

The guy who needs the work more than anyone.... Patterson ... not there ...

My gut tells Patterson will not improve this season and the off season

stories of his work ethic.. are more stories than fact ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:Later on in the article it shows many Wideouts, Tight Ends and McKinnon...The guy who needs the work more than anyone.... Patterson ... not there

Below.
@murphPPress Teddy Bridgewater said he plans to hook up with Cordarrelle Patterson next week in Miami and throw to him during informal workouts #Vikings
I'm not sure where the photo was taken or where Teddy/Rudolph and the crew there are working out. We have no idea what Patterson's offseason training looks like but it's good he and Teddy are going to get together.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

jackal wrote: My gut tells Patterson will not improve this season and the off season

stories of his work ethic.. are more stories than fact ...
How on earth would you know that?
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

DK Sweets wrote:How on earth would you know that?
If my QB is working out informally, I'm where he is. Unless CP took the photo that is in the story, he is not in it. I do not know what CP's workout sked is, but he should take every opportunity to improve his game.
Charles Johnson's stock will continue to rise and Patterson's stock is declining as of now.

Great story btw, one of my aunt's passed from complications from schleroderma. It was horrible to watch her fade away to nothing. CJ sounds like a guy that you can cheer for at anytime. :rock:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Adrian Peterson rarely showed up until he had to. Does that mean that he was never working hard? When Drew Bree's threw his lockout training camp, Aaron Rodgers laughed it off. Was he not working hard?

My main problem with your assumption is that you have absolutely no idea what he's doing on his own time. My guess is that if CP wasn't working hard, Troy Brown wouldn't be wasting his time training him.

But I'm not upset with just you. I'm just frustrated that a guy who showed so much promise is being written off as stupid and lazy by so many people. The guy always showed humility when he was being talked up as better than Greg Jennings, he never brought up his injury status, and even when he was benched he never complained. He acted like a true teammate, but he's being absolutely mauled by people because he didn't meet their expectations for him.

The amount of impatience and wild conjecture is frustrating.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

DK, I feel your frustration. If Patterson is a Viking, I am for Patterson. Do not forget that everyone is different with their level of patience. For where CP was picked, a lot of fans have expected a higher level of play. And most opinions and expectations are just conjecture.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I just want to say, I love this picture:

F###ing Teddy, man. And I don't care what anyone says, Jerick is gonna be the truth. This team excites me.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

DK Sweets wrote:My main problem with your assumption is that you have absolutely no idea what he's doing on his own time. My guess is that if CP wasn't working hard, Troy Brown wouldn't be wasting his time training him.

But I'm not upset with just you. I'm just frustrated that a guy who showed so much promise is being written off as stupid and lazy by so many people. The guy always showed humility when he was being talked up as better than Greg Jennings, he never brought up his injury status, and even when he was benched he never complained. He acted like a true teammate, but he's being absolutely mauled by people because he didn't meet their expectations for him.

The amount of impatience and wild conjecture is frustrating.
I agree one hundred percent. Some fans won't even take Zimmer's word that Patterson is working hard. There's no excuse for it.

Personally, this is the most excited I've been about the Vikings WR corps for a while. And the potential of both Johnson and Patterson are part of the reason why.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

losperros wrote: I agree one hundred percent. Some fans won't even take Zimmer's word that Patterson is working hard. There's no excuse for it.

Personally, this is the most excited I've been about the Vikings WR corps for a while. And the potential of both Johnson and Patterson are part of the reason why.
Word. The thing that excites me the most about them is Teddy, who will be able to unlock all their goodness, I keep trying not to drink the Purple Drank, but this dude gets it. :burp:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

How on earth would you know that?
Long experience, my friend...

I have worked with hundreds of young people. Usually the ones puffing themselves up
and trying show off... don't last long term... They take short cuts and get fired or quit...
almost without exception the top performers are quiet in self praise... The tight end we
just picked up in this off season made the trip to workout with his teammates... Patterson
sadly is so physically talented (that he has always been way ahead of those around him.)
When it comes to practice its all excuses .... Watch the Jerry Rice a football life...
He was the best because he perfected his skills and outworked everyone else

I hope I am wrong, but I would be willing to bet Patterson is not any further, than last season
in route running
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

jackal wrote: Long experience, my friend...

I have worked with hundreds of young people. Usually the ones puffing themselves up
and trying show off... don't last long term... They take short cuts and get fired or quit...
almost without exception the top performers are quiet in self praise... The tight end we
just picked up in this off season made the trip to workout with his teammates... Patterson
sadly is so physically talented (that he has always been way ahead of those around him.)
When it comes to practice its all excuses .... Watch the Jerry Rice a football life...
He was the best because he perfected his skills and outworked everyone else

I hope I am wrong, but I would be willing to bet Patterson is not any further, than last season
in route running
Someone poop in your cheerios or something? So down on the guy. Everything I have heard is he is working hard at route running, working out with Troy Brown trying to get better. Why would Zimmer lie about being happy/proud wit CPs work ethic and attitude this off season? He doesn't seem like the type to #### people, especially the fans.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

No like I said, I wan't him to be great but I don't see him doing extra workouts like most the starters ...

I don't care if people don't like, what I have to say.. I am not a mindless lemming or sheep, ready to walk off a cliff
because a hundred other mindless creatures did.

The video is just further evidence he is not ready to put in work to utilize his incredible talents IMO

two and half years and he gets benched with his talents --- equals lazy person IMO

I have been watching the Vikings for twenty years and spent thousands traveling across the country
and buying Sunday Ticket year after year.

I know winning squads and being the best in the NFL is a rare thing ... very rare

I don't wan't losing another NFC championship or Superbowl because we have a guy that cares more about twitter
than doing his job.. IMO that is Patterson
Everything I have heard is he is working hard at route running, working out with Troy Brown trying to get better. Why would Zimmer lie about being happy/proud wit CPs work ethic and attitude this off season? He doesn't seem like the type to #### people, especially the fans.
post script: do you have a credible source of these Patterson workouts with Troy Brown ??