Vikings' Charles Johnson: Long journey worth every minute

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings' Charles Johnson: Long journey worth every minut

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Oh yeah, and those questionable hands. :o

I think it's just a cheap flier and seems to be fitting the "speed" mold that's apparently the direction the team is trying to go (something Rudolph doesn't necessarily fit).

I agree.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

From where I stand, Patterson should have been working in the manner that he is now, when he first stepped onto Winter Park and before. He was a first round pick, highly regarded, and judging by the WR pool from past two years, Patterson is behind the eight ball. Now, whether it is a study issue or physical, it does not matter, he could and can improve in both areas and he should have taken this approach a long time ago.

Ockham's razor- The principle states that among competing hypotheses that predict equally well, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think it's likely that, rather than a study issue or a physical issue, there's a time and experience issue. It takes time to improve and/or master anything.

I've never read anything to suggest Patterson wasn't a hard worker from the very beginning with the Vikings and the steady stream of judgment and assumptions about his work ethic seems to be coming more from the imaginations of critical fans than from any actual source of information reporting about issues with his attitude or work habits. If Patterson seems behind some of the other WRs drafted the past two years it's probably because he was behind from the start. He was a highly regarded first round pick but he was highly regarded for his athleticism and natural playmaking ability while simultaneously being labeled as a raw prospect who would need a lot of development at the next level. Most of the issues he's had as a pro were predictable and were, in fact, predicted in many of the draft profiles written about him. They were all but inevitable so honestly, if people are disappointed, it may make more sense to be upset at Spielman for drafting a raw player or at the coaching staff for not taking better advantage of the natural playmaking ability that got Patterson drafted in the first place. Otherwise, it seems like a little more patience is in order because the player himself appears to have a good attitude and a work ethic.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:I think it's likely that, rather than a study issue or a physical issue, there's a time and experience issue. It takes time to improve and/or master anything.

I've never read anything to suggest Patterson wasn't a hard worker from the very beginning with the Vikings and the steady stream of judgment and assumptions about his work ethic seems to be coming more from the imaginations of critical fans than from any actual source of information reporting about issues with his attitude or work habits. If Patterson seems behind some of the other WRs drafted the past two years it's probably because he was behind from the start. He was a highly regarded first round pick but he was highly regarded for his athleticism and natural playmaking ability while simultaneously being labeled as a raw prospect who would need a lot of development at the next level. Most of the issues he's had as a pro were predictable and were, in fact, predicted in many of the draft profiles written about him. They were all but inevitable so honestly, if people are disappointed, it may make more sense to be upset at Spielman for drafting a raw player or at the coaching staff for not taking better advantage of the natural playmaking ability that got Patterson drafted in the first place. Otherwise, it seems like a little more patience is in order because the player himself appears to have a good attitude and a work ethic.
Duly noted. :thumbsup: Hey, I'm all for him being a #1 WR. I DO understand that WR is not the easiest position to learn. I was disappointed this year by his lack of numbers, I really was looking for him to break out and be spectacular but, another work in progress athlete, no matter how much upside, was not something I am willing to settle for, again. I have grown weary of it. And again last year. If anyone thinks that I do not want ANY Viking to be the best they can be, they are dead wrong. Not implying that you are, but some are maybe thinking that. My disappointment does lie with Spielman first, in the way that he seems to ignore convention and likes to gamble on players.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote:Duly noted. :thumbsup: Hey, I'm all for him being a #1 WR. I DO understand that WR is not the easiest position to learn. I was disappointed this year by his lack of numbers, I really was looking for him to break out and be spectacular but, another work in progress athlete, no matter how much upside, was not something I am willing to settle for, again. I have grown weary of it. And again last year. If anyone thinks that I do not want ANY Viking to be the best they can be, they are dead wrong. Not implying that you are, but some are maybe thinking that. My disappointment does lie with Spielman first, in the way that he seems to ignore convention and likes to gamble on players.
He does seem to be a bit of a gambler and it bites him at times. I'm still not sold on Spielman.

I have no doubts about your sincere wish for Vikings players to excel. I know you're a serious fan! :)
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: He does seem to be a bit of a gambler and it bites him at times. I'm still not sold on Spielman.

I have no doubts about your sincere wish for Vikings players to excel. I know you're a serious fan! :)
For some, I am way too serious. Especially if one is NOT a Viking. And sometimes, I have to take the brevity or go bananas. Life as a Viking fan for over 40 years will do that to you.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote:For some, I am way too serious. Especially if one is NOT a Viking. And sometimes, I have to take the brevity or go bananas. Life as a Viking fan for over 40 years will do that to you.
Believe me, I know!
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Mothman wrote:I think it's likely that, rather than a study issue or a physical issue, there's a time and experience issue. It takes time to improve and/or master anything.

I think that you are right, about patience being the key to development of CP. However, in this league, the way it is structured, it is a strike early while the iron is hot type of thing. When we first draft guys, there isn't a problem with the Money, its all medium risk, high reward/upside or bust that comes out of the draft. Nobody wants to waste the 3-4 years where you are getting a bargain for someone's talent developing them, only to turn around and have them demand 6-7 million a year when they become good. To me the key to many teams success is finding role players and guy who can come in the year they are drafted, or maybe the next year, and take over a starting position, or fill some sort of roll. Combine that with some key free agent pickups, or extending the right people back on to your squad and BAM, your making a superbowl run. Look at Seattle, all their best players were on Rookie contracts when they won the superbowl, and the only thing still keeping them relevant is that the Cap has been increased so much over the past 2 years, just in time for them to resign some of the key contributers. While CP might end up reaching his potential, will it be soon enough for the Vikings to be able to take full advantage of it without paying him some giant contract? That is the question on my mind.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

‏@MasterStrib Cool story from @RandBall -- #Vikings WR Charles Johnson answers a mother's plea http://strib.mn/1DbCksg
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Making the Leap, No. 20: Vikings' Charles Johnson
Prior to trading for Mike Wallace, Turner called Johnson "far and away our best receiver," with general manager Rick Spielman calling the third-year wideout a "pleasant surprise," saying: "We're very excited about his potential, his ability."

Originally a Packers seventh-round pick out of Grand Valley State in 2013, Johnson's injury history kept him from making a single game appearance before Week 1 of last season. Now penciled in as Minnesota's starting X-receiver, the pass-catcher finds himself in the same role that Josh Gordon played under Turner during his 1,646-yard outburst with the Browns in 2013.

Adding eight pounds of muscle this offseason, Johnson stands one inch shorter but a pound heavier than Gordon, with sub-4.40 speed that makes him a tenth of a second faster than the suspended Cleveland star. Johnson's combination of moves, hand strength and burst at the line were on display in toasting former Packers cover man Tramon Williams
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... es-johnson
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Making the Leap, No. 20: Vikings' Charles Johnson
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... es-johnson
I wonder if the coaching staff actually does have Johnson penciled in as their starting X receiver. Is he being handed that job? It's early but so far, things do seem to be pointing that way so if that's the case, how does everybody feel about it? Based on his overall performance in 2014, I'm not comfortable with them just handing him a starting position so I hope that's not what's happening.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I wonder if the coaching staff actually does have Johnson penciled in as their starting X receiver. Is he being handed that job? It's early but so far, things do seem to be pointing that way so if that's the case, how does everybody feel about it? Based on his overall performance in 2014, I'm not comfortable with them just handing him a starting position so I hope that's not what's happening.
Personally I don't think he's being handed anything. I think he earned it last year, and I suspect that he has earned it so far in OTAs too. He's a really good player.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I wonder if the coaching staff actually does have Johnson penciled in as their starting X receiver. Is he being handed that job? It's early but so far, things do seem to be pointing that way so if that's the case, how does everybody feel about it? Based on his overall performance in 2014, I'm not comfortable with them just handing him a starting position so I hope that's not what's happening.
The coaching staff seems to value competition, so I'm sure there'll be that at every position in camp. However Charles Johnson is probably the incumbent with Patterson being the only main competition for that spot. The way things went last year that shouldn't be shocking as he was more effective. I'm OK with CJ starting out with the 1s in camp and mixing in Patterson to see how he does. I really hope Patterson has a legit chance at retaking his starting role. There are flaws in both Patterson and CJ's games, but unless Patterson truly did take a step during the offseason I'm not sure if CJ won't be the second-best wide receiver. I trust the coaching staff to play the best guys. We'll see if Patterson ends up as one of those. Regardless, I would hope Patterson gets in more snaps per game than he ended up the last quarter of the season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Personally I don't think he's being handed anything. I think he earned it last year, and I suspect that he has earned it so far in OTAs too. He's a really good player.
I thought he had a few good games last year but I didn't see him as a really good player overall. His production dropped steadily after he had his best game (against the Jets) and had firmly put himself on the radar of Vikes opponents. I wasn't too impressed with his route-running, his physicality or his ability to hang onto the ball in traffic. I'm nitpicking a little but seriously, I didn't see anything in his overall performance to suggest he should have a starting position locked up going into 2015. I don't know if he's being handed anything or not but I'm hoping the competition for that X spot is wide open.
dead_poet wrote:The coaching staff seems to value competition, so I'm sure there'll be that at every position in camp. However Charles Johnson is probably the incumbent with Patterson being the only main competition for that spot. The way things went last year that shouldn't be shocking as he was more effective. I'm OK with CJ starting out with the 1s in camp and mixing in Patterson to see how he does. I really hope Patterson has a legit chance at retaking his starting role. There are flaws in both Patterson and CJ's games, but unless Patterson truly did take a step during the offseason I'm not sure if CJ won't be the second-best wide receiver. I trust the coaching staff to play the best guys. We'll see if Patterson ends up as one of those. Regardless, I would hope Patterson gets in more snaps per game than he ended up the last quarter of the season.
I hope so too and as you said, I hope Patterson has a legit chance at retaking his starting role. I'd say Wright deserves to be in that conversation too except it seems clear that physically, he doesn't fit the prototype Turner is looking for at the X position.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think they'll do everything they can to get Patterson on the field instead, but they won't force it if he's still running terrible routes. He's got way too high of a ceiling for them not to try though. Not to discount Johnson who proved he deserves a close look last season.

I'd rather have 2014 Charles Johnson starting than 2014 Patterson. Hopefully they've both improved and they'll have a true competition.