What are your expectations for Teddy this season?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I was thinking about this this morning. With Vikings fans (rightfully) desperate for a "franchise quarterback" and Teddy's promising rookie season in the books, what are your expectations of him in 2015? I guess I worry that he may be getting Viking faithful's expectations up pretty high and a few games of under 250 passing yards with a a couple of turnovers may start to sour the well early, which I really want to avoid and I'm hoping people give him a chance even if he has some rough games. So have at it, VMBers. I'll try to remember to bring this thread back up at the end of the season.

What do you realistically expect?
What do you realistically hope for?
What would disappoint you?

Assuming a 16-game season

My take:

Expect: 3,421 passing yards, 66.5% completion, 7.7 YPA, 25 TDs, 9 INTs, 93.4 QBR
Hope: 4,045 passing yards, 68.7% completion, 8.2 YPA, 32 TDs, 6 INTs, 105.5 QBR
Disappoint: 3,046 passing yards, 63.1% completion, 18 TDs, 12 INTs, 78.5 QBR

My expectations are that he develops into a top-15 QB (which is what the numbers generally reflect if judging the last couple of seasons quarterbacks have had). My hope would bring him more into a top-5 conversation (which I believe are too lofty for the second-year QB, which is why they're a hope). My disappointment reflects a regression and would be on par (or slightly above) second-year Christian Ponder.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: What are your expectations for Teddy this season?

Post by Crax »

dead_poet wrote: My expectations are that he develops into a top-15 QB
Same for me. I'm hoping he can be ranked about 9-12 overall. Right there at the bottom of the top 10 is what I'm hoping for
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

dead_poet wrote:I was thinking about this this morning. With Vikings fans (rightfully) desperate for a "franchise quarterback" and Teddy's promising rookie season in the books, what are your expectations of him in 2015? I guess I worry that he may be getting Viking faithful's expectations up pretty high and a few games of under 250 passing yards with a a couple of turnovers may start to sour the well early, which I really want to avoid and I'm hoping people give him a chance even if he has some rough games. So have at it, VMBers. I'll try to remember to bring this thread back up at the end of the season.

What do you realistically expect?
What do you realistically hope for?
What would disappoint you?

Assuming a 16-game season

My take:

Expect: 3,421 passing yards, 66.5% completion, 7.7 YPA, 25 TDs, 9 INTs, 93.4 QBR

My expectations are that he develops into a top-15 QB (which is what the numbers generally reflect if judging the last couple of seasons quarterbacks have had). My hope would bring him more into a top-5 conversation (which I believe are too lofty for the second-year QB, which is why they're a hope). My disappointment reflects a regression and would be on par (or slightly above) second-year Christian Ponder.
Those are some high expectations my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

frosted wrote:Those are some high expectations my friend.
Are they? And here I was trying to be reasonable. :)

What are yours?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm with you Poet, but there is so much that is going to develop between now and September.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If you take the average of Teddy's last 6 games and extrapolate them out over 16 games you get this;
3840 passing yards, 69.21% completion, 8.2 YPA, 26.6 TDs, 16 INTs, 101.25 QBR

I expect 3500 Passing yards, 67% completion, 7.0 YPA, 25 TDs, 12 INT
I hope for 4000+, 69% completion, 8.0 YPA, 30 TDs, 7 INTs, 100+ QBR
I'd be disappointed @ 3000- yards, 60%- completion, 18 TDs, 15+ INT, 75- QBR
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:My take:

My expectations are that I don't know what to expect right now. :D

If I take a guess, they would be a combination of your "expect" and "disappoint."

I think Teddy has a brilliant future ahead of him, but I'd first like to know if AD is coming back and (maybe most importantly) I want to see how the OL plays.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

My expectations are pretty modest. I'd love to see him put up top 15 numbers in an overall sense (in other words, rank that high in most major statistical categories) but that's not something I necessarily expect to happen in his second season. Mainly, I'm hoping to see him take further command of the offense, reduce mistakes and lead the Vikes to more points. They simply did not score effectively enough last season. Over 16 games, if he continues to progress, I'd expect about 20-22 TDs, 10-12 INTs and about 3500 yards as a realistic expectation. I'd be happy if he does better than that and somewhat disappointed if he does much worse.

Hopefully, we'll see progress. I definitely expect a better season from him in year 2 but I assume we'll see continued growing pains too.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:I'm with you Poet, but there is so much that is going to develop between now and September.
True, but I don't know if adding Amari Cooper (for example) will necessarily change my perceptions and expectations. Same for retaining (or losing) Peterson. I thought it'd be a fun exercise at this point in the offseason. I kind of just wanted to know where people's heads are at as far as what they're expecting from the guy and so far, it seems reasonable :D . Too bad we can't give out prizes or something for whoever gets closest to his true numbers by the end of the season. That'd be fun.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:If you take the average of Teddy's last 6 games and extrapolate them out over 16 games you get this;
3840 passing yards, 69.21% completion, 8.2 YPA, 26.6 TDs, 16 INTs, 101.25 QBR
I'd take that. 8)
I expect 3500 Passing yards, 67% completion, 7.0 YPA, 25 TDs, 12 INT
I hope for 4000+, 69% completion, 8.0 YPA, 30 TDs, 7 INTs, 100+ QBR
I'd be disappointed @ 3000- yards, 60%- completion, 18 TDs, 15+ INT, 75- QBR
Your hope is better than my hope.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

dead_poet wrote: Are they? And here I was trying to be reasonable. :)

What are yours?
I suppose I'm just trying to temper my expectations because I have been let down so much in my sports fandom. I would expect 20-23 TDs, 12-14 INTs, 64% completion, and hopefully between 7.3 and 7.5 YPA. Maybe 3300 yards. I expect us to be run heavy with Adrian in the backfield.

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

frosted wrote:I suppose I'm just trying to temper my expectations because I have been let down so much in my sports fandom.
A wise approach. I feel you.
I would expect 20-23 TDs, 12-14 INTs, 64% completion, and hopefully between 7.3 and 7.5 YPA. Maybe 3300 yards. I expect us to be run heavy with Adrian in the backfield.
A bit more conservative than me, but not overly so. Hopefully he surpasses them, by a lot!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I fully expect him to be a top 10-15 QB but a whole lot depends on how healthy the O-line is/remains. I think that even if there are no more additions to the receivers they are more than capable and of course the "wild card" is the return of AD. :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Here are my hopes and expecations:

3,262 passing yards, 63.2% completion, 8.0 YPA, 23 TDs, 11 INTs, 95.0 QBR

These are the averages from QBs who won the Super Bowl in their sophmore season. (since 2000)
Formerly AADPFan
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

dead_poet wrote: A wise approach. I feel you.
A bit more conservative than me, but not overly so. Hopefully he surpasses them, by a lot!
Absolutely! If Peterson is back, I would guess it would help Teddy a lot, so even if we went more run heavy, his efficiency would probably be positively impacted.