How the Vikings quietly won the Trent Richardson Disaster

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

How the Vikings quietly won the Trent Richardson Disaster

Post by Mothman »

saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Re: How the Vikings quietly won the Trent Richardson Disaste

Post by saint33 »

The Vikings didn't hit home runs with all these picks, but they got starters at three different positions out of it. This is what smart teams do. They don't chase individual players in the draft, like the Browns did with Richardson.
Except the Vikings have chased players in the draft, including the very same year for Harrison Smith. Although the Vikings have done it more successfully than Cleveland, so I guess that's why this writer ignores that narrative
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

saint33 wrote: Except the Vikings have chased players in the draft, including the very same year for Harrison Smith. Although the Vikings have done it more successfully than Cleveland, so I guess that's why this writer ignores that narrative
Yea, let's not forget Patterson too. But I do commend Rick on this move that he made. It is slowly, I repeat slowly, improving the team. :D
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

saint33 wrote: Except the Vikings have chased players in the draft, including the very same year for Harrison Smith. Although the Vikings have done it more successfully than Cleveland, so I guess that's why this writer ignores that narrative
Exactly.

I had the same thought when I read the article. In the end, what smart teams do is make a lot more good decisions than bad but it's not always apparent when a decision is made if it's going to work out well. It looks pretty smart to chase an individual player in the draft if he turns out to be a great player and a great fit. It doesn't look so good when a team ends up with a bust. If Richardson had become a superstar competing for the rushing title every year, that trade wouldn't look bad for Cleveland at all.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

CbusVikesFan wrote: Yea, let's not forget Patterson too. But I do commend Rick on this move that he made. It is slowly, I repeat slowly, improving the team. :D

I was not forgetting Patterson. Between Smith, Patterson and Bridgewater, we've been much more successful than Cleveland. Even Patterson, so far the worst of our 3 "move ups" has been better than any of the 3 Cleveland traded up for (Richardson, Gilbert and Manziel)
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Sorry, I should have said, "as well as" Patterson. I am a bit surprised at the uninspiring play of Gilbert.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Hey I'm just happy we got an article about us and it was positive! LOL

And the icing on top? He didn't talk about Peterson leaving woo!