Vikings release Greg Jennings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings release Greg Jennings

Post by IrishViking »

The Breeze wrote: I do agree that Wright and Rudolph are vets. My thought is that Wallace has logged significantly more minutes than any of them. I wasn't implying his behavior as a concern but just the overall knowledge amongst the receivers we have.
Turner's scheme is complicated....Wallace is in for a learning curve. CP is treading water. Johnson is an unknown really.
treding water, generous.
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

The Breeze wrote: Interesting take. I agree on the chemistry value.
I think we paid too much forJennings too...but they definitely lacked a vet at the position, which is also significant when helping a young QB.
Thinking back at the WRs we've drafted the past few seasons...there really hasn't been a guy that fits the bill of a guy who is looked at as a NFL type solid prospect.

Maybe they need to pick a guy high in the draft, who actually knows the position, and keep him here for a decade.

:smilevike:
....actually, that's a really point, looking at it like that. I can't find a way to say that your wrong on any level here.

And to be completely honest, I think I just 180'd and at this very moment no longer bummed or disappointed with the move. Lol huh!

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I was more interested and focused on the fact and idea of his effect and attention to Patterson.

I really did want to see him get it back and blow it up again as a VIKE.though. (However (UN)likely that may have been)
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

How does this work? Do we still owe Jennings a ton of money? How about Wallace? This sounds like the exact opposite type of deal Rick would make so soon, so I assume im missing something. I wasnt big on Jennings, but Wallace is not much of an improvement.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

the combined salaries of jennings, peterson, and wallace are laughable. you talk about overpaid players we might have the biggest 3 in the league. jennings, or someone had to be let loose at some point no logical front office would keep all 3 on. i mean, are peterson and wallace the two highest paid at their positions? i think calvin johnson makes more and maybe 1 or 2 receivers, but i'm curious.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

mosscarter wrote:the combined salaries of jennings, peterson, and wallace are laughable. you talk about overpaid players we might have the biggest 3 in the league. jennings, or someone had to be let loose at some point no logical front office would keep all 3 on. i mean, are peterson and wallace the two highest paid at their positions? i think calvin johnson makes more and maybe 1 or 2 receivers, but i'm curious.
He is the fifth highest paid in the league. He has an average of 5.4 million guaranteed a year.

This coming year he is guaranteed 3 million with a total of 9.84 available with incentives.

FYI Jennings was ranked 12th highest paid.
Last edited by IrishViking on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I'm kinda shocked they couldn't work out a restructure with GJ. I suppose it could be some alpha dog issue thing where he wouldn't take less/restructure to accomodate Wallace getting more.
That's kinda the tone that he left GB with.
UKViking
Backup

Post by UKViking »

Does this give us more money to throw at Johnson?
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Vikings release Greg Jennings

Post by DK Sweets »

It doesn't shock me, and I'm not super mad, but it m not sure if I like the move, either.
Last edited by DK Sweets on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Jennings is long in the tooth and his production was never commensurate with his pay. He had a lot of value here but not that much value, and apparently he was unable to see that. Wallace is a gamble but at least he's on the right side of 30. Johnson shows potential but you don't go from practice squad to superstar very often so I think expectations of his performance need to be tempered. I still think a receiver in the first two rounds is a good idea depending on how things shake out. As someone had previously mentioned, you don't always need a bonafide #1 receiver, if they can come up with a corp that contributes somewhat equally it should be enough. Especially if Rudolph can stay on the field and AD stays with the team.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

There's so much emotion with the initial posts. :lol:

It's a bummer he got cut, but I'm not gonna let my emotions tell me that this is all bad. The guessing game with the moves is the best part, because now I'm thinking WR is still on the table for the draft, which means the Vikings probably go BPA excluding any quarterbacks. There's a trio of big-time receiver prospects that would look better with Johnson and Wallace than Jennings would -- which opens another guessing game itself with the proven veteran vs. potential argument, but I digress.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

S197 wrote:Jennings is long in the tooth and his production was never commensurate with his pay. He had a lot of value here but not that much value, and apparently he was unable to see that. Wallace is a gamble but at least he's on the right side of 30. Johnson shows potential but you don't go from practice squad to superstar very often so I think expectations of his performance need to be tempered. I still think a receiver in the first two rounds is a good idea depending on how things shake out. As someone had previously mentioned, you don't always need a bonafide #1 receiver, if they can come up with a corp that contributes somewhat equally it should be enough. Especially if Rudolph can stay on the field and AD stays with the team.
While I think the Vikings incorrectly unloaded veteran leadership in Jennings, I understand what you're saying. As of right now, the Vikings have a relatively young and blazing fast WR corps. Maybe this is the vision that Zimmer and Turner have for the offense.

That said, I'm also a firm believer that the team, or any team, doesn't absolutely need a "#1 WR." Who knows? Maybe Rudolph will become the go-to guy, especially for first down plays. So what if he's a TE.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

S197 wrote:Jennings is long in the tooth and his production was never commensurate with his pay. He had a lot of value here but not that much value, and apparently he was unable to see that.

Great post. This is along my lines of thinking as well. His leadership and willingness to teach is/was great, but how far does that really get you? I still believe he can be productive, but not as productive as he was with GB, because his talent at this point does have a limit. This Vikings team is getting younger and that's not a bad thing.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

losperros wrote: While I think the Vikings incorrectly unloaded veteran leadership in Jennings, I understand what you're saying. As of right now, the Vikings have a relatively young and blazing fast WR corps. Maybe this is the vision that Zimmer and Turner have for the offense.

That said, I'm also a firm believer that the team, or any team, doesn't absolutely need a "#1 WR." Who knows? Maybe Rudolph will become the go-to guy, especially for first down plays. So what if he's a TE.
Along those lines, I think the Vikings are all about the complementary skillsets with these moves. I posted quite a few times yesterday how Wallace fills a huge void and fits perfectly with what the Vikings need and with that, what Charles Johnson brings to the WR corp. I don't think they're done in this department because I think it leaves another -- but much smaller -- void that gets filled probably in the draft by a guy that won't only just fill a void, but tie the unit together by being another playmaker.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Was a stupid signing in the first place. Considering two other teams were interested according to reports, both for significantly less than Slick Rick paid him.

Doesn't help he didn't fit Norv's offense at all. Starting to come together! Now we draft a LB, cut Greenway. And maybe sign another piece like Johnson!

Man it's nice to see a team really start to rebuild and focus on the system. Previous years guys like this would hang around for another year or two being overpaid.

Good move Spielman!
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

I have a feeling green bay's receiving core is going to have a new (old) addition soon