Vikings release Greg Jennings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings release Greg Jennings

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:I’m kind of curious how adding Wallace to the Locker room is going to go over. Jennings was by far the most mature guy of the WR corps, he had won a superbowl and was a high character kind of player. Now we have corps that is young and potentially explosive, but it also has a guy with some history of attitude issues in Wallace plus a guy who deeply wants to be the center of attention in CP84. That sounds like a challenge. It will be interesting to see how this group handles the mental stuff when they hit some bumps in the road.
I don't know about the bolded part. Other than the way he dresses off the field, he's never given me that impression. But it does seem like Norv/Rick are assembling a team of receivers that are fast.

40-yard dash

Mike Wallace: 4.33
Charles Johnson: 4.39
Jarius Wright: 4.42
Patterson: 4.42
Thielen: 4.45

It'd be interesting to compare the top 4-5 guys on every roster to see if we now have the "fastest" group. If the Vikings aren't #1, they've got to be in the top-5.

For fun, 3 cone:

Thielen: 6.77
Wallace: 6.90
Johnson: 6.96
Wright: 6.93
Patterson: 7.28

For some perspective: the fastest time recorded at the combine was 6.42. Notables:

Amari Cooper: 6.71
Odell Beckham: 6.69
A.J. Green: 6.91
Jordy Nelson: 7.03
Larry Fitzgerald; 6.94
Antonio Brown: 6.98
Julio Jones: 6.66
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

FWIW:
@mattvensel My understanding is that despite last year's on-field struggles, Patterson has been far, far from disruptive. Not a bad apple there.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Class act, no doubt.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

My comment was based on various opinions I've heard of his behavior as well as my own observations, all from last year. What I was hearing and thinking was that he really wants to be the guy who generates the buzz and gets the attention.

I hope he is able to turn it around this season, but last year he certainly looked the part of a guy with a ton of talent, but no real will or desire to do the hard work to make the most of his talent. Here is to hoping this changes.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Class act, no doubt.

Wow. Yeah, that's why it was a hard move, even though it makes sense money wise. Glad to see that MPLS is a good fit for his family.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Dang, man. I seriously got chills from that. So heartfelt. I want him back! :lol:

Class act, man. Wow.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

dead_poet wrote:FWIW:
I'm not sure that was ever in question. Patterson does EVERYTHING right by all reports. He's just...struggling with the mental aspect of the game. I think it's as simple as that.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Yeah, that Jennings post makes feelings.

And yes, that is my intended sentence.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Love Greg Jennings. He'll catch on somewhere and be productive. He didn't really have much to work with here and the financials killed it before he go it going with TB. He certainly had a rapport with Matt Cassel~
--
I hope they didn't insult him with the restructure offer....I hope it was fair and his pride said no. I'm not sure what # is a fair price for a Greg Jennings at this point. $4-6m per?
--
But just a super positive guy all around. Want to see him where he's having fun playing again, even if it's in GB.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I know Football is a business and Jennings was on the
Backside of his career .. I wish could have kept him longer.

Makes me wonder why Rudolf gets that deal he got...and
we couldn't keep Jennings who was willing to take less..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

jackal wrote:I know Football is a business and Jennings was on the
Backside of his career .. I wish could have kept him longer.

Makes me wonder why Rudolf gets that deal he got...and
we couldn't keep Jennings who was willing to take less..
He wasn't willing to take as much less as what the Vikings wanted...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

He wasn't willing to take as much less as what the Vikings wanted...

I get that... The reasoning seems inconsistent though with the Vikings player. Rudolf has not stayed healthy
at all. He got IMO more than he should have. Jennings was a big part of the leadership of this team IMO.

It just seems like we should have been able to make it work ? I know there are a lot of unknowns as fans...
It just seems a little strange to me, in this case, with this player
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@christomasson Greg Jennings said on Pro Football Talk the Vikings told him they wanted him to be part of the team but then they made trade for Wallace.
Greg Jennings said he and his family plans on staying in Minneapolis where recently built a home.
@christomasson Greg Jennings on PFT on Adrian Peterson: "From the fan base standpoint I know the fans want him back (in Minnesota).''
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:
Jennings essentially got Winfielded.

It happens, but man, I didn't want to see Greg go this year. I wish him nothing but the best.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Hopefully Wallace is like Jennings in this re-guard. But I see more of PH then Jennings.

Did Jennings sign with the Packers for sure? I'd rather not see the Roger's to Jennings's thing.