Was the Mike Wallace trade a good one?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 39

MusicCityViking
Backup

Post by MusicCityViking »

I've seen a lot of controversy over whether this was a good trade or not. I think we got a bargain, but his contract and attitude are going to be major concerns. He is, however, a very skilled player (fast, good hands, downfield threat).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Was the Mike Wallace trade a good one?

Post by Mothman »

I voted yes because it's a pretty low risk/high reward move for the Vikes.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Very little commitment from us for a fast experienced wide receiver.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I'm saying "yes" because I love speedy WRs. The Vikings now have a bunch of them! :thumbsup:

Also, as Jim said, this is a fairly low risk move.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Did we get value? Hell yeah.
Was it a good trade? Ask me in week 8.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

The Breeze wrote:Did we get value? Hell yeah.
Was it a good trade? Ask me in week 8.

Well said.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Yes if he can get open. Seems only Jennings could get some separation on a consistent basis. Lets hope that changes
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Boy it's hard to assess without watching at least a few regular season games or read how he's getting along with teammates and coaches. I've read several players that thought Wallace was one of the two or three fastest guys in the league. In March, on the face, it's a good trade despite the high contract. The cost to acquire him was minimal.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Definitely a good trade, minimal risk with high reward potential at a pretty cheap cost. Best case scenario you get Wallace from Pittsburgh and you don't mind paying him the money. Worst case he's worse than in miami production wise and we can just cut him.

I think he's a good fit for norv's offense and something that is over looked is that his skill set complements the rest of our WR's much better than Jennings skill set did. Jennings was only really effective out of the slot lately and I think that's where we'd prefer to play Jarius Wright as well, and maybe even Patterson. Wallace plays on the outside, Charles Johnson plays on the outside, and between Wright and Patterson in the slot that looks MUCH better to me.

As usual with these things, on paper it looks very smart / good, time will tell what happens on the field.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Like most of you, I love the trade on paper.

It cost us little in terms of draft picks, and in terms of salary, it was basically Wallace for Jennings. Even if you consider that Wallace's numbers were down last year with Miami, he still out-produced Greg Jennings, so that's a win. And his speed takes the top off of defenses. Charles Johnson is fast, but Wallace is in another league, right at the top of the NFL when it comes to speed. And where Johnson has only a few games under his belt, Mike Wallace has proven he can be a legitimate deep threat in this league.

Some big ifs here, but consider ...

IF we can get Adrian Peterson back in the fold, and
IF we can somehow keep Kyle Rudolph healthy ...
... we could have an extremely strong combination of running game, short passing, intermediate passing, and deep passing.

Obviously our O-line will have plenty to say about our success, but I like the direction we're headed with the skill positions.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I voted no. I wasn't a fan of his before - thought we dodged a bullet with free agency when he signed with the Phins. Man, would his numbers have been bad with our QB's in 2013!

I don't mind him as a player so much. I don't like players with bad attitudes, but I can't be sure he has a bad one - seemed to do well in Pittsburgh after all. And he is a vertical threat.

But the cost is just mind-boggling. He's way, way too expensive for the expected production. And his cost was such that we had to dump Jennings, who was our most solid receiver IMO, and who was a great guy for the team and the community.

I was really up for a WR in the draft, and now I think we shy away from that, grabbing Scherff or Waynes or trading back. We'll see if that is a lost opportunity a few years down the line when we see who was available at #11 (Parker almost always is in the mocks) and what their careers are like.