Does Wallace change the draft?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Now that Wallace is a Viking, do they still target a WR in the 1st round?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Ya
35%
Nein
65%

Total votes: 48

vatusay
Starter

Re: Does Wallace change the draft?

Post by vatusay »

DGB, Funchess, or Smith in the second. In that order.
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

CbusVikesFan wrote:I am intrigued now by drafting a WR with the 1st rounder. Not Cooper either. It just hit me that Wallace and Kevin White would make for an interesting duo. Impetuous thought I know, I have been drafting Trae Waynes and Landon Collins with the simulator over and over but it intrigues me to have this scenario play out.
I totally agree.

Others get on me about this everything But for 6mos at least now, the only WR I see fitting with the Vikes is Kevin White. He's the only one of the WR in the 1st that I wouldn't be bummed if we picked.
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Puddin'Taine wrote: I totally agree.

Others get on me about this everything But for 6mos at least now, the only WR I see fitting with the Vikes is Kevin White. He's the only one of the WR in the 1st that I wouldn't be bummed if we picked.
I really do not see that other receivers in the draft do not fit or could not flourish with the Vikings, I just had this thought that it bolster the WR corps with plenty of speed having Wright, Johnson, and Patterson along with Wallace and drafting White would make for a nice group. Dangerous, if you ask me.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I'm tired of skill position players, we need a better O-line, I think it's really that simple. Nothing kills a drive faster than an 8 yard sack, or a negative yardage 1st down run or a holding penalty cause someone got beat so bad they had to. If you believe in Teddy and I think everyone does, invest in protecting him and the rest of the offense will take care of itself with what we already have. Outside of Moss for a couple years Brady's never had more than crap at WR but they can protect him and keep him up right and suddenly average as can be guys like Wes Welker and Julian Edelman look like borderline probowlers. Put them on the Jets or the Jaguars and they'd be lucky to get 600 yards.

I want my QB to be able to make a sandwich on most plays, eat it, find a guy, make the throw and still have no one touch him.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm tired of skill position players, we need a better O-line, I think it's really that simple. Nothing kills a drive faster than an 8 yard sack, or a negative yardage 1st down run or a holding penalty cause someone got beat so bad they had to. If you believe in Teddy and I think everyone does, invest in protecting him and the rest of the offense will take care of itself with what we already have. Outside of Moss for a couple years Brady's never had more than crap at WR but they can protect him and keep him up right and suddenly average as can be guys like Wes Welker and Julian Edelman look like borderline probowlers. Put them on the Jets or the Jaguars and they'd be lucky to get 600 yards.

I want my QB to be able to make a sandwich on most plays, eat it, find a guy, make the throw and still have no one touch him.
Dallas really make your argument too.. They didn't focus on hype and drafted several O line players early and look at how more effective their
offense was ... If we drafted two or three solid OL guys this year, I would be pleased.. Charlie Johnson is gone, FINALLY... I think a lot of Kalil's
issue has been lack of blocking on the inside.. Our O line cost us games last year and Teddy and Peterson (if he comes back) would both benefit
from a strong OL
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Wallace gives them more of a BPA option. They don't need to feel as much pressure to get a Wide Receiver early but I'm guessing if the right one falls they'll still pull the trigger.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

mondry wrote:I'm tired of skill position players, we need a better O-line, I think it's really that simple. Nothing kills a drive faster than an 8 yard sack, or a negative yardage 1st down run or a holding penalty cause someone got beat so bad they had to. If you believe in Teddy and I think everyone does, invest in protecting him and the rest of the offense will take care of itself with what we already have. Outside of Moss for a couple years Brady's never had more than crap at WR but they can protect him and keep him up right and suddenly average as can be guys like Wes Welker and Julian Edelman look like borderline probowlers. Put them on the Jets or the Jaguars and they'd be lucky to get 600 yards.

This is the nuts and bolts of it for me too....for about 5years running.
Control of the LOS is the name of the game... and that means a bit more than just being able to run the ball and stopping the run. Creating and sustaining passing pockets as well as being able to routinely collapse them is just as important.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

jackal wrote:
Dallas really make your argument too.. They didn't focus on hype and drafted several O line players early and look at how more effective their
offense was ... If we drafted two or three solid OL guys this year, I would be pleased.. Charlie Johnson is gone, FINALLY... I think a lot of Kalil's
issue has been lack of blocking on the inside.. Our O line cost us games last year and Teddy and Peterson (if he comes back) would both benefit
from a strong OL
Yeah, I remember at the time almost laughing at dallas for the picks they made but wow has that proven to be the right move / way to go.

The Breeze wrote: This is the nuts and bolts of it for me too....for about 5years running.
Control of the LOS is the name of the game... and that means a bit more than just being able to run the ball and stopping the run. Creating and sustaining passing pockets as well as being able to routinely collapse them is just as important.
Yeah, it seems like part of the problem for a while is that we were putting an emphasis on run blocking and with AD it's hard to argue that wasn't smart. However the side effect with guys like loadholt and what not seems to be pass blocking.

I do want to add that I think consistency is one of the biggest issues. Far to often it seems like someone just gets beat badly, where a guy is barely slowed at all on his way to the QB so it's not a matter of guys blocking for 2 seconds and we want 3, it's guys blocking for 0.25 seconds when we need at least 2 EVERY play that calls for a deeper drop.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

mondry wrote:I'm tired of skill position players, we need a better O-line, I think it's really that simple. Nothing kills a drive faster than an 8 yard sack, or a negative yardage 1st down run or a holding penalty cause someone got beat so bad they had to. If you believe in Teddy and I think everyone does, invest in protecting him and the rest of the offense will take care of itself with what we already have. Outside of Moss for a couple years Brady's never had more than crap at WR but they can protect him and keep him up right and suddenly average as can be guys like Wes Welker and Julian Edelman look like borderline probowlers. Put them on the Jets or the Jaguars and they'd be lucky to get 600 yards.

Holy Smokes, what kind of sandwich? :D
I agree wholeheartedly about the skill players. It just hit me how dynamic it would be to have Kevin White and Wallace opposite of each other with Wright and Johnson filling in. The last player I coveted for this team was Kevin Williams so getting a player that I have researched, salivated over, wanted, etc. doesn't even factor in.
I have always believed in the front to back, inside to out building of a team. I have never liked picking a player because he has this upside, a weight room junkie, etc., latest example being Barr when I thought a better fit and a better player, CJ Mosely, filling a greater need. I had always been of fan of Mike Tice and his offensive lines when he was here. That was one thing the Vikings never had to worry about. The O-line.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Holy Smokes, what kind of sandwich? :D
I agree wholeheartedly about the skill players. It just hit me how dynamic it would be to have Kevin White and Wallace opposite of each other with Wright and Johnson filling in. The last player I coveted for this team was Kevin Williams so getting a player that I have researched, salivated over, wanted, etc. doesn't even factor in.
I have always believed in the front to back, inside to out building of a team. I have never liked picking a player because he has this upside, a weight room junkie, etc., latest example being Barr when I thought a better fit and a better player, CJ Mosely, filling a greater need. I had always been of fan of Mike Tice and his offensive lines when he was here. That was one thing the Vikings never had to worry about. The O-line.

I have that feeling about Danny Shelton DT.. I think he is going to be great defensive wall for a decade an anchor type guy.. I hope we can get him....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

jackal wrote:
I have that feeling about Danny Shelton DT.. I think he is going to be great defensive wall for a decade an anchor type guy.. I hope we can get him....
He may be available. I am starting to shift gears a bit about the position that is needed the most. ILB and G are still up there and there should be value in later rounds at those positions while I would not be against draft Shelton, Gregory, Waynes, Collins, Thompson, or anyone on defense really. The defense, IMO, is very close to being pretty good, if not better than that, so improvement there would be paramount landing a top notch guy. And the offense is better with Wallace, and if stars see it, AP will be back and the Vikings will be able to hold their own and should be explosive, of course if the glaring need there is addressed. That being the O-line of course.
vatusay
Starter

Post by vatusay »

I love Shelton. He will be a stud.

With the Wallace trade my board goes a little like this.

Cooper
Waynes
Shelton
Shreiff(spelling)
Collins
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I'm starting to really lean towards Brandon Scherff. I think he can be a fantastic guard at the next level, and if he's the guy at the top of our board when we pick, it'll be the perfect marriage of BPA and need based drafting.

I also love Trae Waynes.

Also would be on board with Bud Dupree. I think if he's the pick, people will piss and moan about it, similar to the way the Barr pick went down last year. BUT - the kid could be a monster defensive end in the NFL, particularly in Zimmer's scheme, which has shown to favor BIG defensive ends.

There's of course a few other who would be great at #11, but those three are just a couple of the prospects I'm pretty high on.
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

I have a feeling that Shaq Thompson will fall and he will be the guy we jump back in the 1st for. Calling it now! :mrgreen:
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

All we did was get about 2 years younger at the position. The production is relatively the same. If a talent like Amari Cooper or Kevin White, or even Devante Parker are available, we have to consider it. I think I would actually throw up if we passed on Cooper at 11!