Does Wallace change the draft?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Now that Wallace is a Viking, do they still target a WR in the 1st round?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Ya
35%
Nein
65%

Total votes: 48

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: Does Wallace change the draft?

Post by Laserman »

I think we will go offensive line or safety with the first pick. We're in a good spot to get the #1 rated safety at pick 11. I believe many will follow the Dallas example and we will see a run on offensive lineman this draft
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Laserman wrote:I think we will go offensive line or safety with the first pick. We're in a good spot to get the #1 rated safety at pick 11. I believe many will follow the Dallas example and we will see a run on offensive lineman this draft
The more I watch Collins, the less I like him. I'd be very underwhelmed if we chose him at 11.

I think Willis and Borland retiring changes the draft more than the Wallace signing (SF will likely have to go ILB early). One of Cooper, White or Parker will be available at 11 and looking long-term it may be hard to pass on one of those guys. But drafting one of them would make the 2015 group crowded and deep, it would perhaps provide some security in 2016 and beyond if one of Wallace/Patterson don't work out.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: The more I watch Collins, the less I like him. I'd be very underwhelmed if we chose him at 11.

I think Willis and Borland retiring changes the draft more than the Wallace signing (SF will likely have to go ILB early). One of Cooper, White or Parker will be available at 11 and looking long-term it may be hard to pass on one of those guys. But drafting one of them would make the 2015 group crowded and deep, it would perhaps provide some security in 2016 and beyond if one of Wallace/Patterson don't work out.
You might as well throw Johnson in there as well and Wright's contract expires after this season. Thielen's does too, for that matter, but I think he'll be a RFA in 2016. Anyway, there's enough uncertainty about the team's future at the position that investing in one of those top 3 WRs, should one of them remain available at #11, could make a lot of sense.

That said, my gut feeling is that's not the direction the Vikes would go which could make things interesting around here. :)
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I really think the Vikings have put themselves in a good position to go with whoever is highest on their board. Some positions seem more needy than others, but you could probably make a case for 5-6 positions that could use an upgrade.

I'd love to know how their board is ranked.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Cliff wrote:I really think the Vikings have put themselves in a good position to go with whoever is highest on their board. Some positions seem more needy than others, but you could probably make a case for 5-6 positions that could use an upgrade.

I'd love to know how their board is ranked.
Me too. Okay, lets rank just the need. My board:
1. G
2. ILB
3. CB
4. S
5. DE
This of course is subject to change if there are any roster changes leading up to the draft.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I can't argue with the need rankings. That said, if we find a great corner at number 11, I find that hard to pass up. With two great corners and Smith at safety, we could do a lot of fun things with the front 7
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

DK Sweets wrote:I can't argue with the need rankings. That said, if we find a great corner at number 11, I find that hard to pass up. With two great corners and Smith at safety, we could do a lot of fun things with the front 7
Yes, that board is strictly for need. Now the way the draft will play out, one position or another will move up or down according to players available. I don't think anyone thinks that there is a LG at pick #11 worthy of pulling that trigger. Or ILB. By default CB would move up on my board.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: The more I watch Collins, the less I like him. I'd be very underwhelmed if we chose him at 11.
The thing with Collins for me is I don't know how much he complements Smith, they seem to be two players of similar styles. He looks like someone who would do well running downhill/playing up in the box, which is where Zimmer had Smith a lot of the time. I think a cover-type safety would be a better compliment to Smith.

Then again, the guy does have an awesome first name...
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

If they take a guard at 11 with parker and waynes available at 11, i think i'll lose my dinner
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: The thing with Collins for me is I don't know how much he complements Smith, they seem to be two players of similar styles. He looks like someone who would do well running downhill/playing up in the box, which is where Zimmer had Smith a lot of the time. I think a cover-type safety would be a better compliment to Smith.

Then again, the guy does have an awesome first name...
Is his real first name Joshua?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018