WR Mike Wallace traded to Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: WR Mike Wallace traded to Vikings

Post by The Breeze »

Puddin'Taine wrote: ...................

I'm most likely wrong here But, (I could suit up and go Googling But I'm kinda lazy today)

Wasn't Hines Ward a pretty huge carrier of the Steelers super bowl run in like 2009 or 2008 or somewhere around there?
I'd say that's pretty accurate. I don't recall if Bettis was still there tha year. Ward was a tough mutha and total team guy too...not a Diva type IMO

I'm also moving my own goalposts in regards to Wallace....I think there is great potential with him here and I'm resolved to see it as a positive move in a few ways.
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

The Breeze wrote: I'd say that's pretty accurate. I don't recall if Bettis was still there tha year. Ward was a tough mutha and total team guy too...not a Diva type IMO

I'm also moving my own goalposts in regards to Wallace....I think there is great potential with him here and I'm resolved to see it as a positive move in a few ways.

Oh totally, Hines Ward is THE definition of almost as close to as the perfect idea of the player you want on any team.

I was always super jealous that he was a Steeler. Polomalou as well. I like that guy, always seemed like a great dude.

And I totally Do too! For one I've always thought and seen the Vikes as a good team for guys like Wallace and I say "guys like Wallace, adding him in the group of players most people refer to as trouble guys or team cancers, which a lot of people throw Wallace into that group, even though I don't think he even closely belongs in said group)

We have a pretty (I'm going to say "unique" with trying not to giggle because I now always immediately think of Spielman whenever I hear the word, every single time he had talked this year he has used the word "unique" in some way at minimum 3 times each time he talks, I now always consider him RICK "THE UNIQUE" SPIELMAN )

But we have a pretty unique team and organization. I've always felt we have more players who play for us because they WANT to, I think players really come to feel as a VIKING as opposed to just playing for the team you are with as business. And we've always had a way of getting guys like Wallace to fit well and enjoy it. Plus we're very lucky to have the owners we have and the GM that we have. Who both also seem the same way, it seems like they "genuinely care and WANT. To be with the VIKINGS, again as opposed to just trying to Do your job well with whatever team employs you.

I really hope so Anyway, cause I like him and I Do think he can be total lights-out if you use him right and let him be in on it as well. I think He'll really come to enjoy playing with the VIKES.
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Runique Spielman?
-
I get what you're saying about guys wanting to play for the Vikes. One reason I have a hard time watching specific players leave.
--
I don't know how widespread it is team by team. I'm sure it's that way for the Pack, Steelers, Pats. Ravens?
--
I've touched upon it a little lately...the tradition or institution of a team or an aspect of that team. I guess it waxes and wanes as coaches come and go and a teams identity can get lost in the shuffle. Also, perhaps, the degree to which the community is engaged.
--
The Steelers are THE model of consistency IMO. Knoll to Cowher to Tomlin....defense. Those guys over there love to be Steelers is my guess.
--
As far as my fandom goes, I'm hopeful and optimistic that Zimmer will get every opportunity to revitalize the Viking mystique.
And after a shaky start, in my view, Spielman is growing on me. I won't ever be convinced that he didn't sabotage Fraizer with some intent.....but I like the way the team is matching the system in the way it's being built and coached now than before.
I think Demi has been dead on in that assessmet lately.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

The Breeze wrote: When was the last time a WR was MVP or carried his team to the Lombardi......was it never? Probably.
Just to answer your question, there has been a league MVP who was a wide receiver, but only 1 and that was Jerry Rice in 1987. But there have been 6 Superbowl MVP wide receivers.

Determining whether or not a wide receiver 'carried his team to a Lombardi' is pretty subjective, especially at the wide receiver position since they have to depend on the quarterback to get them the ball.
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

The Breeze wrote:Runique Spielman?
-
I get what you're saying about guys wanting to play for the Vikes. One reason I have a hard time watching specific players leave.
--
I don't know how widespread it is team by team. I'm sure it's that way for the Pack, Steelers, Pats. Ravens?
--
I've touched upon it a little lately...the tradition or institution of a team or an aspect of that team. I guess it waxes and wanes as coaches come and go and a teams identity can get lost in the shuffle. Also, perhaps, the degree to which the community is engaged.
--
The Steelers are THE model of consistency IMO. Knoll to Cowher to Tomlin....defense. Those guys over there love to be Steelers is my guess.
--
As far as my fandom goes, I'm hopeful and optimistic that Zimmer will get every opportunity to revitalize the Viking mystique.
And after a shaky start, in my view, Spielman is growing on me. I won't ever be convinced that he didn't sabotage Fraizer with some intent.....but I like the way the team is matching the system in the way it's being built and coached now than before.
I think Demi has been dead on in that assessmet lately.
Yeah He's right about that, we've always just kind of thrown guys together and kind of just hoped for the best or that it would eventually just come together and we're insanely guilty of hanging on to guys for way too long based on strictly loyalty or because we just like them.

I'm very very very excited with Zimmer and Turner... (LOL) I can never say Zimmer and Turner without some huge gnarly gargly deep voice screaming ("OVERRRDRIIIVE!") In my head immediately afterward. But a real full on System,Scheme,Plan has been needed for a while. Ever since Tarkenton we've relied on the "Hail Mary" for way too much, even off the field on organizational level. Just tossing it together and really hoping it works.
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Purple Reign wrote: Just to answer your question, there has been a league MVP who was a wide receiver, but only 1 and that was Jerry Rice in 1987. But there have been 6 Superbowl MVP wide receivers.

Determining whether or not a wide receiver 'carried his team to a Lombardi' is pretty subjective, especially at the wide receiver position since they have to depend on the quarterback to get them the ball.
That's pretty much my basic point. Rice is another WR who was a total team guy way more into winning than money.
These guys that chase the money and exemplify the 'Look at me' cult of personality don't wind up on championship teams all that often or last for long when they do.
I wasn't meaning to suggest that Wallace actually is that guy....cause I really don't know. I hope not.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Puddin'Taine wrote:I'm very very very excited with Zimmer and Turner... (LOL) I can never say Zimmer and Turner without some huge gnarly gargly deep voice screaming ("OVERRRDRIIIVE!") In my head immediately afterward.
So what you're saying is that you believe Zimmer and Turner are taking care of business and working overtime and that we ain't seen nothin' yet?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I lolled.....but my blood sugar is low too.
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

Mothman wrote: So what you're saying is that you believe Zimmer and Turner are taking care of business and working overtime and that we ain't seen nothin' yet?
MoMoMOTHMAN! You just AIN'T seen nothin' yet!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mike Wallace - WR - Vikings

Mike Wallace believes he's the fastest player in the NFL.

Wallace says he's run a 4.21 40-yard dash in the past. "I’ve run a lot of routes and I’ve got a lot of miles on my legs, but I still feel that there’s nobody (in the NFL) who can run with me," Wallace said. "I might have slowed down a little, but I could still run 4.25." Wallace's boast is impossible to prove, but his elite speed was still in good working order last season. He'll be able to take the tops off teams for his new club.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press
http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/201 ... st-player/

---
Wallace is fast, no doubt. There are few DBs that can keep up with him. Three questions I have:

1) Will Teddy have better chemistry with him than Tannehill?
2) Will the offensive line give Teddy enough time consistently to find Wallace on deep patterns to result in big positive plays or will he be sacked more often?
3) What will Wallace's attitude be each week?

I'm starting to get a bit more excited about Wallace. He really is the perfect fit for Norv and one of the fastest players on the field at any given time. Hopefully we see a lot of big plays out of this offense, presumably with Peterson also back in the fold.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote:Mike Wallace - WR - Vikings

Mike Wallace believes he's the fastest player in the NFL.

Wallace says he's run a 4.21 40-yard dash in the past. "I’ve run a lot of routes and I’ve got a lot of miles on my legs, but I still feel that there’s nobody (in the NFL) who can run with me," Wallace said. "I might have slowed down a little, but I could still run 4.25." Wallace's boast is impossible to prove, but his elite speed was still in good working order last season. He'll be able to take the tops off teams for his new club.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press
http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/201 ... st-player/

---
Wallace is fast, no doubt. There are few DBs that can keep up with him. Three questions I have:

1) Will Teddy have better chemistry with him than Tannehill?
2) Will the offensive line give Teddy enough time consistently to find Wallace on deep patterns to result in big positive plays or will he be sacked more often?
3) What will Wallace's attitude be each week?

I'm starting to get a bit more excited about Wallace. He really is the perfect fit for Norv and one of the fastest players on the field at any given time. Hopefully we see a lot of big plays out of this offense, presumably with Peterson also back in the fold.

I hated the signing at first, but like you, I'm a little geeked about it now.

as for your 3 points: I think the chemistry and Wallace's attitude will go hand in hand somewhat...so will whether or not TB can be accurate putting the ball in his hands deeper downfield.

I think having AD coupled with Teddy's ability to handle the blitz and intermediate accuracy will pay big dividends creating time to throw deeper routes. It may take a few weeks to develop, but I think it could be a really good mix.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

How can the Pioneer Press say there is no way to prove he can still run a 4.2 40? Did I miss the news story about how stopwatches and ground to run on have been outlawed in Minnesota?
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

One thing's for sure, the Vikings overall team speed (offense AND defense) is among the best in the NFL. Speed doesn't guarantee a damn thing, but we could put together a group of four that would waste most every other team's best group of four in the 4 x 200 relay.

Interesting topic to broach - who WOULD be the Vikings 4 x 200 team?

Wallace would be my choice for anchor. Waynes, Rhodes, Charles Johnson, Adrian, Jarius Wright, and Patterson would all also be in consideration for the other three spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

This topic took a weird turn...

Mike Wallace, Josh Robinson, Charles Johnson, and Phil Loadholt would be my choices.

If Phil is unavailable, CP, Xavier, Trae Waynes, and Adrian can play a game of Super Smash Bros for the final spot.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

DK Sweets wrote:This topic took a weird turn...

Mike Wallace, Josh Robinson, Charles Johnson, and Phil Loadholt would be my choices.

If Phil is unavailable, CP, Xavier, Trae Waynes, and Adrian can play a game of Super Smash Bros for the final spot.
Guilty as charged.

Forgot about Josh Robinson. He's definitely in my four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk