The New Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dirtyswabby
Starter

The New Vikings

Post by Dirtyswabby »

I think its safe to say the Vikings/Zimmer's approach will be to build through the draft. And I like it.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: The New Vikings

Post by 720pete »

Really I would be fine just adding one quality starter in free agency and the rest can be depth signings. We've been spoiled in past years in FA and trades with acquisitions like Brett Favre, Jarred Allen, Greg Jennings, Linval Joseph, etc. A quiet year is OK with me as long as we address the offensive line at some point, either through the draft, trade, or free agency.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Last edited by 720pete on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

720pete wrote:Really I would be fine just adding one quality starter in free agency and the rest can be depth signings. We've been spoiled in past years in FA with acquisitions like Brett Favre, Jarred Allen, Greg Jennings, Linval Joseph, etc. A quiet year is OK with me as long as we address the offensive line at some point, either through the draft, trade, or free agency.

pretty sure we traded for Jared Allen.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Well the way I see it if they don't get a big name for big money, it probably means they're keeping the stupid contracts down to a minimum to be able to lock up Harrison Smith and possibly someone else next year. They can't let that guy walk, not a chance. And I have no idea who's a FA next year but we should have a ton of cap space.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Bigwehrm wrote:
pretty sure we traded for Jared Allen.
Yep we did. Lazy cell phone post.

Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Honestly I think the biggest move the vikings will make is trading Peterson, I honestly just can't see him coming back, the guy is actively roadblocking the Vikings efforts to bring him back. I just hope we either get a 1st round draft pick or a elite player in the Trade. I know you all will think I am crazy but I wanted tyrann mathieu (He seems to have fixed his offfield issues) a few years ago because of his crazy play making ability, would take him and a solid draft pick for Peterson from Arizona.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Dirtyswabby wrote:I think its safe to say the Vikings/Zimmer's approach will be to build through the draft. And I like it.
So do I. The best teams build through the draft and complement through free agency.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

losperros wrote: So do I. The best teams build through the draft and complement through free agency.

Agreed and while fantasizing about a 1,000,000,000 bank and free agent day is fun. All of the players that matched our needs who were really great ended up getting huge contracts that, I think, in a couple years most of us will be happy we don't have. I hope they plug a few holes with reliable vets and hit big on at least one 1st rounder in the draft. That, imo will set us up nicely to try and finish everything off next year and really go for it in Teddy's 3rd year.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think there is a tendencey to want to plug all the holes at once just because they can be identified.
I glad these guys are not overpaying and feel safe enough in their jobs to forego reaching to fill a hole by sticking to sound finacial management and the draft.

Look at the Saints and some other teams that are in cap hell....and the Saints are a team that hasn't gone crazy in FA.
We've got some guys who are young and due new contracts soon. Desperately filling holes is not a good way to go.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

The Breeze wrote:I think there is a tendencey to want to plug all the holes at once just because they can be identified.
I glad these guys are not overpaying and feel safe enough in their jobs to forego reaching to fill a hole by sticking to sound finacial management and the draft.

Look at the Saints and some other teams that are in cap hell....and the Saints are a team that hasn't gone crazy in FA.
We've got some guys who are young and due new contracts soon. Desperately filling holes is not a good way to go.

On top of that, I really like the players we are signing character wise.

I have a feeling that if everything goes great with Bridgewater he wont be demanding a "highest paid QB" contract after his rookie deal. Same with Barr. Smart, quality peoples.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

If things go great, I wouldn't expect Teddy to be like Flacco or Stafford and get every penny they possibly can, but I wouldn't expect him to go for super cheap, either. That may have been what you were implying, but either way if he turns out to be a star, he's going to be a big cap hit.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

DK Sweets wrote:If things go great, I wouldn't expect Teddy to be like Flacco or Stafford and get every penny they possibly can, but I wouldn't expect him to go for super cheap, either. That may have been what you were implying, but either way if he turns out to be a star, he's going to be a big cap hit.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean. I definitely would see him being more a Tom Brady type player. He's gonna make a lot but not personally eat up 30% of the salary cap and screw the team.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

The Brees, Flacco and Stafford deals are atrocious.
Brees counts for 30% of the Saints salary!
Talking about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

QBs have so much potential for endorsement money that, if they are thinking clearly, should factor in to how they fit into the teams salary structure.
--
It will be interesting to see what Wilson does....I don't see him as a greedy guy either.
---
I hope TB becomes the guy and that the Vikings will even get to that point with him. But he does strike me as a team first dude.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

The Breeze wrote:The Brees, Flacco and Stafford deals are atrocious.
Brees counts for 30% of the Saints salary!
Talking about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

QBs have so much potential for endorsement money that, if they are thinking clearly, should factor in to how they fit into the teams salary structure.
--
It will be interesting to see what Wilson does....I don't see him as a greedy guy either.
---
I hope TB becomes the guy and that the Vikings will even get to that point with him. But he does strike me as a team first dude.

Yeah, in some ways its not even about team first. Tom Brady is doing a perfectly played "Me first" by making sure NE has all the money they need to build the team HE needs to rack up the records and rings.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

IrishViking wrote:
Yeah, in some ways its not even about team first. Tom Brady is doing a perfectly played "Me first" by making sure NE has all the money they need to build the team HE needs to rack up the records and rings.
Except I recall he was quite angry when, after he took considerably less, the Patriots didn't sign Welker (as he was probably led to believe the cash savings would help them do).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly