Vikings Yankey working to get stronger

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Good to hear. Coincidentally he's working with Boling's trainer.
Mike Zimmer put it bluntly when asked last season why guard David Yankey didn’t get it for a single snap as a rookie.

“He’s got to get stronger,’’ Zimmer said.

Enter Ryan Goldin, a notable trainer in suburban Atlanta, where Yankey is from.

“That’s why he showed up,’’ Goldin said.

Yankey has been working with Goldin for three weeks and will continue to during the offseason. Goldin’s clients have included current and former NFL offensive linemen Clint Boling, D.J. Fluker and Marcus McNeill, a two-time Pro Bowl selection.

Goldin has helped players get stronger and improve their game. He plans to do that with Yankey.

“I will have him ready,’’ Goldin said.

After being taken in the fifth round of last year’s draft out of Stanford, it was thought Yankey could make an impact as a rookie. Instead, he wasn’t active for a single game until December and never saw any action.

The 6-foot-6 Yankey is listed at 315 pounds. While Goldin hasn’t had a lot of time yet to work with him, he said results already have been seen.

“He looks good,’’ Goldin said. “You guys will notice a difference. He’s got a little ways to go, but he’s getting stronger. He’s working his tail off, that’s for sure.’’

The Vikings are seeking a left guard after recently releasing Charlie Johnson. If they don’t land a long-term replacement in free agency or in the draft, Yankey could be a candidate to eventually move into the role, although next season might be a bit soon.
http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/201 ... e-linemen/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
vatusay
Starter

Re: Vikings Yankey working to get stronger

Post by vatusay »

That is really, really encouraging to hear. If he can get off the inactive list it adds good young depth. Hopefully he improves enough to challenge for the LG spot if Boling isnt signed.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the link. I'm glad he's working hard to improve his strength and find a role on the active roster.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I keep hearing how guards should be shorter in general. I didn't realize Yankey was 6'6".
I wonder how good he would be at tackle? Maybe he is the swing man of the future?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The Breeze wrote:I keep hearing how guards should be shorter in general. I didn't realize Yankey was 6'6".
I wonder how good he would be at tackle? Maybe he is the swing man of the future?
I believe he played some tackle at stanford.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

That is very tall for a guard, but Orlando Franklin is huge, too. I'd like to see Yankey improve and push for a position no matter who we sign - we'll always need that depth.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

It would be great to have backups that can play both guard and Tackle... that is value...

I am hoping he gets to play some this year ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

When we drafted Yankey in the 5th round thought it was a great value pick. Now ... I'm not so sure. He's 23 years old and we're finding out that his lack of strength was a big factor in why he was inactive all of last year (despite having Fusco out and Johnson playing sub-par). What's he been doing all this time about his strength? I see this as a player who wasn't committed to doing the dirty work in the weight room. Now that some big money is on the line he's suddenly getting serious about it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pseudo Everything wrote:When we drafted Yankey in the 5th round thought it was a great value pick. Now ... I'm not so sure. He's 23 years old and we're finding out that his lack of strength was a big factor in why he was inactive all of last year (despite having Fusco out and Johnson playing sub-par). What's he been doing all this time about his strength? I see this as a player who wasn't committed to doing the dirty work in the weight room. Now that some big money is on the line he's suddenly getting serious about it.
It may not be all his doing.

Worth re-visiting this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1739 ... th-program

Worth reading the whole thing. But here's a couple excerpts:
there aren’t a lot of bells and whistles on The Farm; the Stanford program focuses on simplicity and execution. “I don’t have a lot of secrets or gimmicks,” said Turley. “There is an old school way that probably works. It’s been working for a long time.”

Turley does not have some sort of magical formula, nor are his players putting up Zeus-like numbers in the weight room.

"I don’t care how much guys can bench squat or power clean," Turley said. "It has nothing to do with playing football. Football is blocking and tackling. It’s creating contact, avoiding contact and gaining separation if you are a skill guy on the perimeter. That’s football."

What they are doing is building one of the most comprehensive and successful player development programs in the country through highly specialized training, personalized by position and player.

Stanford’s player development team focuses its efforts on injury prevention, athletic performance and mental discipline—in that order. Basically, the Stanford weight program doesn’t worry about having the "strongest" guys in college football. It focuses on football strength, technique and making sure the best Cardinal players stay on the field all season.
For those who say numbers in the weight room are important measure of success on the field, Turley would counter with the example of Stanford’s 6’5”, 313-pound All-American guard David Yankey, who Turley says can barely bench his own body weight.

‘‘He’s got to have some pop, I get it,” said Turley. “But isn’t the rate at which you strike more important than moving a bunch of weight around really slow?”

Turely explains that bench press and squat goals don’t even factor into his thinking when he designs a workout for a player. He is concerned only with a player’s ability to move as he needs to on the football field.

For an offensive lineman like Yankey, this means the mobility and stability of his shoulder, the stability of his core and the mobility of his lower body. Optimizing those characteristics allows him to get low and quickly apply force in the direction he intends to move, thus fulfilling his role as a blocker.
From his CBS draft profile:
Hard worker in the weight room - has added 75 pounds to his frame since his junior year in high school.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... vid-yankey
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Most late round picks don't add much value to teams.. if we could get a OL that play both Tackle
and Guard at an effective level for three to four years... that is very good fifth round pick IMO

not too mention become a starter, at some point.. that would be a home run pick
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

The football education Yankey got at Stanford was one of the reasons I thought he was a steal. I totally agree with the philosophy they are spouting there....but the fact remains you gotta be strong to survive in the NFL at any position, especially lineman.
It all seems to work in his favor once he gets up to par in the weightroom. And it sounds like he's doing that.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The guy must have some skills he was rated round one; talent at one time.. I'm hoping the Vikings got
a warrior for nothing, as far as draft picks go
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@christomasson: Yankey's not ready. Signs point toward Joe Berger being your 2015 starting left guard.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I keep reading about his need to get "stronger" can anyone expand on that?

I used to lift regularly for sprinting in track and while I understand diminishing returns I have to think a YEAR of expert training would be enough to get someone strong enough if they were starting in college.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

IrishViking wrote:I keep reading about his need to get "stronger" can anyone expand on that?

I used to lift regularly for sprinting in track and while I understand diminishing returns I have to think a YEAR of expert training would be enough to get someone strong enough if they were starting in college.
He no lift much. :)

Read back through the thread. Stanford's strength program is different than most.