Vikings Yankey working to get stronger

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings Yankey working to get stronger

Post by DK Sweets »

dead_poet wrote: He no lift much. :)
Expert analysis, right here at VMB!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

haha I get that but shouldn't he have progressed enough by now? If its taken him over a YEAR to get to starter weight/power ratio I am curious how he was even drafted as high as he was.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

IrishViking wrote:I keep reading about his need to get "stronger" can anyone expand on that?

I used to lift regularly for sprinting in track and while I understand diminishing returns I have to think a YEAR of expert training would be enough to get someone strong enough if they were starting in college.
It won't be a year til this fall sometime. According to one of the articles in this thread he's made big strides and is nearly 'there'. I think it's a good bet he's ready to play sometime next season.
-------

To the board: is Berger really any worse than Johnson? IMO he's somewhat of an upgrade.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

The Breeze wrote: It won't be a year til this fall sometime. According to one of the articles in this thread he's made big strides and is nearly 'there'. I think it's a good bet he's ready to play sometime next season.
-------

To the board: is Berger really any worse than Johnson? IMO he's somewhat of an upgrade.

Okay, that's good news then. I hadn't really heard about progress just constant "nedz moar stregntz"
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think Berger is actually better than Johnson, though not by any means a great player. Possibly with two years of solid training, Yankey could be the guy. Probably not there yet if he was as weak as that article claimed, though.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

IrishViking wrote:haha I get that but shouldn't he have progressed enough by now?
It depends on how far behind he was from where the staff felt he needed to be.
If its taken him over a YEAR to get to starter weight/power ratio I am curious how he was even drafted as high as he was.
He was pretty highly decorated.
Yankey was awarded the Morris Trophy as a redshirt sophomore, given to the Pac 12's top lineman. Two-time first-team All-Pac-12 pick (2012-13). 2013: First-team All-American selection after starting 13 games at left guard. Helped Stanford rush for school-record 2,904 yards. 2012: Second-team All-American selection after starting all 14 games at left tackle. Played four of five offensive line positions, as well as tight end and wing. Allowed just one sack. Replaced Jonathan Martin at left tackle. Helped Stepfan Taylor rush for 1,530 yards (the second most in school history). 2011: Honorable mention All-Pac-12 pick after starting 13 games at left guard. Helped protect Andrew Luck while he threw for Stanford-record 37 touchdowns.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dav ... id=2543657

Interesting quote there by Mayock (who I think ranked him as his top guard in the draft)
"This is a great fit for the Vikings. They believe in physical players and Yankey is a phone booth brawler. Trust me, I know (Vikings general manager) Rick Spielman and (head coach) Mike Zimmer, and this is the kind of player they bang the table for." -- Mike Mayock
Some late criticism: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/4/4/55 ... -your-list

Despite the laundry list of awards, after the combine Yankey seemed to have been deemed a poor athlete (5.48 forty, 8-foot-7 broad jump) with limited strength (22 bench-press reps). At least two scouts labeled him a UDFA prospect during the pre-draft process.
An anonymous NFL scout called Stanford OG David Yankey undraftable.

"I must not know what the heck I'm doing," the scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He's one of the most disappointing guys I saw. I see that guy get pushed around, then he ran 5.5 at the combine. You've got to be kidding me. Free agent." Yankey, considered by some the top OG prospect during the season, has seen his stock deflate since it ended. He's consistent at being inconsistent," another scout said. "There's a lot of want there, but I just think he's nonathletic. He's a stiff guy. That bothers me. But you know what? There's so many in the league like that. I don't like him." A third scout was more complimentary: "A real battler. Generally a good anchor. Gets careless with head duck and will lunge. A Stanford kid will do what he needs to do to be successful."
NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes that Stanford OG David Yankey is not a top tier prospect.
"I wasn't a big fan of Yankey when I studied him. Slow feet, struggles to redirect in space. I don't think he's a top tier prospect," Jeremiah tweeted. Yankey's disappointing outing at the combine did not help his draft stock any. Jeremiah also tweeted that he hasn't "talked to one scout/exec that would take David Yankey in the first 3 rounds." ESPN's Louis Riddick also chimed in and stated that Yankey "was one of the most over-valued prospects all fall/winter in this '14 draft."
Walter's scouting report: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014dyankey.php

There were clearly very differing opinions on him.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

DK Sweets wrote:I think Berger is actually better than Johnson, though not by any means a great player. Possibly with two years of solid training, Yankey could be the guy. Probably not there yet if he was as weak as that article claimed, though.
I'm thinking Berger can hold down guard for a year.
Yankey's trainer(Boldin) said he's noticebly stronger, has ways to go and is working his tail off.
They can draft another guy and have next years FA pool to look at too.

It really looks like Teddy's 3rd year will be the pivotal one.....assuming the current course is held.
I think they could make some noise this season too....lots to happen still before training camp.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

IrishViking wrote:haha I get that but shouldn't he have progressed enough by now? If its taken him over a YEAR to get to starter weight/power ratio I am curious how he was even drafted as high as he was.

the 5th round? that's not very high
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

saint33 wrote:
the 5th round? that's not very high

Hey, they can draft me in the 5th and pay me the league minimum to work out ;)
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS2Zw-CbBho

I watch this and I am like why is he not on the field??
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!