Zimmer pleased with Patterson's offseason work, 'mentality'

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Zimmer pleased with Patterson's offseason work, 'mentali

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: You could make the argument that Diggs is the 6th best, but it seems clear to me that Thielen is more valuable to the team because of versatility, and I think he's a significantly better WR. When I think of the top 6 WRs on this team and ask who would it hurt the team the least to lose, its a pretty easy decision to me.
I still see Thielen as the 6th best no matter what. I still don't understand the hype that's surrounded him. His career accolades include blocking a punt for a TD and scoring a meaningless TD in a non-playoff game. Woo. What else has he really done outside of that?? Score against Tampa's 2nd/3rd string in preseason?? Diggs has a much higher ceiling than Thielen does so that is why I am already putting Diggs ahead of him. Patterson has just as much and more versatility than Thielen does because he can play WR, come out of the backfield, and play ST. And clearly Wallace, Johnson and Wright are better than him.

I understand that everyone loves Thielen because he is a local kid and I get that to a certain extent, but at the same time, some people have to come to reality and realize that he's pretty much the 6th WR on this team and will get limited offensive snaps barring any injuries. Plain and simple
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

It's possible all six of the WRs will make the team. As for special teams play, that could be a big reason why Patterson, Diggs and Thielen will all be on the roster.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

losperros wrote:It's possible all six of the WRs will make the team. As for special teams play, that could be a big reason why Patterson, Diggs and Thielen will all be on the roster.
So just theoretically, if it comes down to Patterson and Sherels, who makes a bigger difference in terms of Wins and Losses this season? I think its obviously Sherels.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

fiestavike wrote: So just theoretically, if it comes down to Patterson and Sherels, who makes a bigger difference in terms of Wins and Losses this season? I think its obviously Sherels.
I'd definitely go with Patterson. He's looking better as a KR than he did last year and he can still be valuable with the ball in his hands as a WR.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

fiestavike wrote: So just theoretically, if it comes down to Patterson and Sherels, who makes a bigger difference in terms of Wins and Losses this season? I think its obviously Sherels.
I don't think it's Patterson vs Sherels at all. I would say Sherels is in competition with Diggs and Thielen and the other CBs, but not Patterson.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I can't even believe this was said :confused: Wallace didnt have a catch and CJ had 1 catch for 1 yard....yeah they must be bad too :roll:
How were Wallaces and Johnsons year last year? yeah, thought so.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Its like reading all the posts defending #7 for the past few years. EVEN PAUL ALLEN called CP on his route running, effort, etc. and PA is the biggest homer the Vikings have ever had. My lord. The guy had 1 year of college football, and Hunter was the better WR even then. Taking a chance on an athletic freak doesnt already pay off. Its not a sin to say that. This is his 3rd year, he'd better prove something soon or he will be looking for a new job. Too much talent at WR to keep putting him in. I'd love to see Diggs return kicks too.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I think it's Patterson because he's a returner, WR, and can run out of the backfield. He's scored TDs doing all those things. Of course, he has to step things up this year. It's a "wait and see" dynamic.

Also, I don't think Patterson is in competition with Sherels in any way. I think DK Sweets is right about Sherels and Diggs competing on special teams.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: How were Wallaces and Johnsons year last year? yeah, thought so.
Are we talking about last year?? :confused: Just because a guy has 1 catch for 6 yards in a meaningless preseason game has nothing to do with if they've improved or not in the offseason. If anyone sits there and actually defends that original post, I would seriously question your intelligence. That's just absurd that someone actually thinks CP didnt improve in the offseason solely based on him only having 1 catch for 6 yards in a PRESEASON game. My goodness :wallbang:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Obviously Sherels?? :confused: I think it's "obvious" you just don't like Patterson. Patterson was the best KR in the league his rookie season and was 6th in yardage last year. He's a HUGE playmaker in open space.

Sherels was ranked 8th and 6th in the last 2 years and isn't remotely close the athlete/playmaker Patterson is. I would much rather have Patterson returning anything way before Sherels.

All in all, the two aren't even competing. It's Diggs and Sherels and by what Diggs has shown in the preseason, he definitely has the upper hand. So if anything, it's "obvious" Sherels could be in trouble
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Its like reading all the posts defending #7 for the past few years. EVEN PAUL ALLEN called CP on his route running, effort, etc. and PA is the biggest homer the Vikings have ever had. My lord. The guy had 1 year of college football, and Hunter was the better WR even then. Taking a chance on an athletic freak doesnt already pay off. Its not a sin to say that. This is his 3rd year, he'd better prove something soon or he will be looking for a new job. Too much talent at WR to keep putting him in. I'd love to see Diggs return kicks too.
I don't see anyone really going over the top to "defend" him. I'm simply saying that when it comes to returning kicks, he's easily the best option. Hands down. From a WR standpoint, he obviously had some problems last year. I'm not sitting here denying that. But for someone to say he didnt improve in the offseason because he only had 1 catch in the first preseason game MEANS NOTHING. He scored a nice TD the next game so what does that prove?? Probably nothing. He caught a nice TD last preseason vs KC that looked promising and he was awful last season.

Bottom line is, it comes down to what he does this season. Either way, he's going to struggle to get playing time based on where they are planning on putting him. He could push for time in the slot with Wright but I can't see him jumping Johnson at X.

TOP 6 WRs in order:

1. Wallace
2. Johnson
3. Wright
4. Diggs
5. Patterson
6. Theilen

IMO Diggs will get more and more playing time, like many rookies, as the season goes on. I'm just unsure of where they are running Diggs. X, Y, or Z. My guess is, it's either Y or Z but I'm not sure which one.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Obviously Sherels?? :confused: I think it's "obvious" you just don't like Patterson. Patterson was the best KR in the league his rookie season and was 6th in yardage last year. He's a HUGE playmaker in open space.

Sherels was ranked 8th and 6th in the last 2 years and isn't remotely close the athlete/playmaker Patterson is. I would much rather have Patterson returning anything way before Sherels.

All in all, the two aren't even competing. It's Diggs and Sherels and by what Diggs has shown in the preseason, he definitely has the upper hand.
Your admiration for CP amazes me. It really does. He's done NOTHING as a WR, and as a ST, hes barely average lately. Hell yeah, I would keep Sherels in a heartbeat too over CP right now if it came down to it. Does that mean i hate CP too? I want CP to make it as much as any player we have ever had. Doesnt mean it was a dumbass pick even if he doesnt seem to have the commitment or skills to be an NFL WR.

And if Diggs returns a kickoff for a TD, does he have the upper hand on CP too? (I already would prefer Diggs over CP, but its pretty early to say that).

It doesnt bother you CP has hardly even been open ALL preseason? The guy should play all games from here on out, like its a regular season game, and he's starting. Wright is far better then CP right now, and half his size (and overall talent).

I just dont get how we could both love Teddy before the draft (when half the folks here and else where wrote him off aftfer senior day and combine). And that we were some of his rare cheerleaders during preseason, (and not just to replace #7 eventually). We have liked so many of the same draft prospects and picks, but we are 100% different on CP. I wont call him a bust yet, but to me, he is like #7 (or Twill) all over again. Doesnt mean Rick did a bad job, he gambled and I dont think the pick is going to work out. As far as Rick goes, to me, the Tom Johnson pickup (among some other FA's) make up for the CP pick.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

^Posted this before your latest post.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Your admiration for CP amazes me. It really does. He's done NOTHING as a WR, and as a ST, hes barely average lately. Hell yeah, I would keep Sherels in a heartbeat too over CP right now if it came down to it. Does that mean i hate CP too? I want CP to make it as much as any player we have ever had. Doesnt mean it was a dumbass pick even if he doesnt seem to have the commitment or skills to be an NFL WR.

And if Diggs returns a kickoff for a TD, does he have the upper hand on CP too? (I already would prefer Diggs over CP, but its pretty early to say that).

It doesnt bother you CP has hardly even been open ALL preseason? The guy should play all games from here on out, like its a regular season game, and he's starting. Wright is far better then CP right now, and half his size (and overall talent).

I just dont get how we could both love Teddy before the draft (when half the folks here and else where wrote him off aftfer senior day and combine). And that we were some of his rare cheerleaders during preseason, (and not just to replace #7 eventually). We have liked so many of the same draft prospects and picks, but we are 100% different on CP. I wont call him a bust yet, but to me, he is like #7 (or Twill) all over again. Doesnt mean Rick did a bad job, he gambled and I dont think the pick is going to work out. As far as Rick goes, to me, the Tom Johnson pickup (among some other FA's) make up for the CP pick.
You might want to just delete this post and actually read what I posted above.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:^Posted this before your latest post.
:lol: :lol: I see that
-Chazz Palminteri