Zimmer pleased with Patterson's offseason work, 'mentality'

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Zimmer pleased with Patterson's offseason work, 'mentali

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote:

I am guessing that the secret workout person is probably Aaron Rodgers :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:
I am guessing that the secret workout person is probably Aaron Rodgers :lol:
It's Brett Favre. :)
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman said<
"I am guessing that the secret workout person is probably Aaron Rodgers :lol:[/quote]

It's Brett Favre. :)[/quote]

Man, that would be soooo funny if it was true :!:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Wow. Good for Patterson. I hope it pays off. His trainer sounds slightly nuts. Read this.

Vikings' Patterson works with 'Hell's trainer' to improve

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... um=twitter

Edit: Another article on Patterson's trainer (not the NFL guy): http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/10/11/ ... n-grunfeld

And one more: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/therookie
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:Wow. Good for Patterson. I hope it pays off. His trainer sounds slightly nuts. Read this.

Vikings' Patterson works with 'Hell's trainer' to improve

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... um=twitter

Edit: Another article on Patterson's trainer (not the NFL guy): http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/10/11/ ... n-grunfeld

And one more: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/therookie
If he can't make the transition it won't be because he didn't try. Really pulling for him.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: If he can't make the transition it won't be because he didn't try. Really pulling for him.
As I recall, when Patterson was benched the remark given by coach was something like "not where he's supposed to be". I wonder if that is more because of bad route running, mental errors, or not getting off the jam. This type of training could certainly help with the 3rd problem, and his overall game. It would be really exciting to see him make a big leap this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote: As I recall, when Patterson was benched the remark given by coach was something like "not where he's supposed to be". I wonder if that is more because of bad route running, mental errors, or not getting off the jam. This type of training could certainly help with the 3rd problem, and his overall game. It would be really exciting to see him make a big leap this year.
I think it was a mix of route running and getting jammed at the line. If memory serves, getting jammed was actually the bigger of the two problems.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: I think it was a mix of route running and getting jammed at the line. If memory serves, getting jammed was actually the bigger of the two problems.
Late season evaluation from Hasan:

What's Up With Cordarrelle Patterson?

http://vikingsjournal.com/_/minnesota-v ... erson-r292
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Cliff wrote: If he can't make the transition it won't be because he didn't try. Really pulling for him.

Me too. That Strib write up on the mystery trainer was great. I can't help but hear "Eye of the Tiger" as I picture Patterson running up and down sand dunes with body weights strapped to him. This secretive trainer is basically an archetype in our (sports obsessed) culture: Mr. Myagi type of esoteric approaches to what the masses are trying (and failing) to achieve. I'm sure I'll imagine hearing this guy's voice laughing at me when I head to the gym to do bench presses later today! :lol:

It all makes for a compelling narrative, but all that matters is what he does on the field. It's fun to hear about it, but another part of me would rather not have a bunch of attention directed at what he's doing--just let him show us on the field that whatever arcane stuff he did in the off-season worked.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Me too. That Strib write up on the mystery trainer was great. I can't help but hear "Eye of the Tiger" as I picture Patterson running up and down sand dunes with body weights strapped to him. This secretive trainer is basically an archetype in our (sports obsessed) culture: Mr. Myagi type of esoteric approaches to what the masses are trying (and failing) to achieve. I'm sure I'll imagine hearing this guy's voice laughing at me when I head to the gym to do bench presses later today! :lol:
:lol:
It all makes for a compelling narrative, but all that matters is what he does on the field. It's fun to hear about it, but another part of me would rather not have a bunch of attention directed at what he's doing--just let him show us on the field that whatever arcane stuff he did in the off-season worked.
I know what you mean. If he doesn't show improvement on the field, and quickly, the naysayers will just pile on by making comments about his training as well.

I hope he has a fantastic season.

By the way, since he was training in SF, and since he has also been working with an undisclosed former NFL WR this offseason, I can't help wondering if it's Jerry Rice, Tim Brown or another former bay area receiver. Whoever it is, I hope that training pays off as well.

It sure sounds like Patterson is making a very genuine effort to improve.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:By the way, since he was training in SF, and since he has also been working with an undisclosed former NFL WR this offseason, I can't help wondering if it's Jerry Rice, Tim Brown or another former bay area receiver. Whoever it is, I hope that training pays off as well.
An undisclosed source claims it's Billy McMullen.

Being the big Brad Childress fan that you are, Jim, this must be exciting news for you! :D
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:An undisclosed source claims it's Billy McMullen.

Being the big Brad Childress fan that you are, Jim, this must be exciting news for you! :D
:lol:

It's been a while since I've heard the name "Billy McMullen". Well played, Craig!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Krammer doesn't seem like Patterson is a major option in the slot

Krammer: Playing time up for grabs in Vikings' slot role sans Jennings

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Kram ... ings050615
The Vikings hope Wallace can bring a 'vertical threat,' Spielman said, to Turner's offense that was lacking in quarterback Teddy Bridgewater's first season. Bridgewater didn't have a receiver average over 50 yards per game and the Vikings are eyeing competition at the split end spot between Cordarrelle Patterson, Charles Johnson and Wallace to produce a go-to downfield threat. Wallace is obviously the frontrunner to take either the split end role, or 'X' receiver, or the flanker spot, or 'Z' receiver, which Jennings played at for the other one-third of his snaps, whether in two- or three-receiver sets.
But without Jennings, Bridgewater's targets will take on a different look. Roughly 400 routes are up for grabs from the slot, or 'Y' receiver spot, a valubale role in an offense that allows the receiver to line up off the line of scrimmage and better avoid press coverage. Like the nickel corner on defense, the slot receiver has essentially become a starter in modern offenses.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Krammer doesn't seem like Patterson is a major option in the slot
He wasn't last year, although if you look at that breakdown of slot usage from 2014 in that article, it seems like he was pretty effective from that position.

Krammer: Playing time up for grabs in Vikings' slot role sans Jennings

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Kram ... ings050615
The Vikings hope Wallace can bring a 'vertical threat,' Spielman said, to Turner's offense that was lacking in quarterback Teddy Bridgewater's first season. Bridgewater didn't have a receiver average over 50 yards per game and the Vikings are eyeing competition at the split end spot between Cordarrelle Patterson, Charles Johnson and Wallace to produce a go-to downfield threat.

:wallbang: This is my biggest complaint regarding Turner's use of Patterson. The latter does have the speed and size to be a downfield threat and he's shown he can get open on some of those plays but the best weapon in his arsenal is his explosive ability to run after the catch and I think they need to focus more on putting him in positions to make the most of that ability.
Wallace is obviously the frontrunner to take either the split end role, or 'X' receiver, or the flanker spot, or 'Z' receiver, which Jennings played at for the other one-third of his snaps, whether in two- or three-receiver sets.
I think flanker makes a lot of sense for Wallace, although they're obviously going to move all of these players around.
But without Jennings, Bridgewater's targets will take on a different look. Roughly 400 routes are up for grabs from the slot, or 'Y' receiver spot, a valubale role in an offense that allows the receiver to line up off the line of scrimmage and better avoid press coverage. Like the nickel corner on defense, the slot receiver has essentially become a starter in modern offenses.
Between Patterson, Wright and Diggs (do I have his name right), the Vikes have three candidates the slot with some killer speed!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
:wallbang: This is my biggest complaint regarding Turner's use of Patterson. The latter does have the speed and size to be a downfield threat and he's shown he can get open on some of those plays but the best weapon in his arsenal is his explosive ability to run after the catch and I think they need to focus more on putting him in positions to make the most of that ability.
I agree completely. I don't understand why they have to have him as an "X" WR. I think he would be much more useful out of the slot. All in all though, he had trouble with the playbook. But in a way, I do feel for the guy having 4 completely different offenses in 4 years. Now that he has another season under Turner, I feel like he will grasp it a lot more
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri