Chad Greenway hopes to return ...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Chad Greenway hopes to return ...

Post by Mothman »

Chad Greenway hopes to return ... with Adrian Peterson
Linebacker Chad Greenway wants to return to the Vikings, and they say they want him back. Now it's a matter of money.

Owed $7 million in the final year of his contract, Greenway likely would have to take a pay cut for a second straight season to remain with the team. General manager Rick Spielman said this week he wants the nine-year veteran to finish his career with Minnesota, adding there is "no deadline" on any possible contractual maneuver because the Vikings are under the salary cap.

Technically, there is a deadline. If the Vikings don't want Greenway's $7 million to become guaranteed, they have to make a move by Sept. 12, the day before the regular season is scheduled to begin. But the situation figures to be settled long before then.
In the article, Greenway says he'd like to finish his career with the Vikings. There's also this:
Greenway said he has thought about the possibility that next season will be his last but isn't ready to make any decisions.
He discusses Peterson a bit too. They're friends and they've stayed in touch "pretty regularly throughout his process".

I'd like it if Greenway could finish his career in MN.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Chad Greenway hopes to return ...

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Chad is a savvy guy, he will restructure his contract. I have been a fan of him since day one. SKOL
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I don't understand the hate he gets. He isn't elite, but he isn't a dud either. I would love to see him in Purple for the rest of his career.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

I don't mind him finishing his career here. He can retire now by doing that. Chad's had his moments of glory but he's simply a liability out there now.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I think the shrewd move would be to release him, but if he will rework his contract its a good sentimental/PR move for an organization that can use PR moves.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I don't understand the hate he gets.
I think a lot of it is driven by the low grades he tends to get from PFF, which stand in direct contrast to the respect he receives from coaches.
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

Mothman wrote: I think a lot of it is driven by the low grades he tends to get from PFF, which stand in direct contrast to the respect he receives from coaches.
The hate from me comes only from what I see from him on the field. Yeah it would be nice to re-structure but this is a business. The front office can't be worried about hurt feelings.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Superfreak84 wrote:The hate from me comes only from what I see from him on the field. Yeah it would be nice to re-structure but this is a business. The front office can't be worried about hurt feelings.
They clearly aren't worried about hurt feelings.

Greenway's not the player he was in his prime but I don't think he's a liability at all. Mike Zimmer clearly liked what Greenway brought to the team last year. He said this in December:

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... till-start
But Zimmer made it clear on Tuesday that he still thinks Greenway can be a starter.

"I do, I do. I love Chad. Chad’s a good guy," Zimmer said. "You’d have to ask him, but I think even at his stage in his career, he probably learned some things this year. We asked him to do a lot of different that he probably hasn’t done before. He’s the kind of guy that we’d like to have."
... and this is from an article just published last week:

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/gr ... ngs-022715
Head coach Mike Zimmer believes Greenway can still play and contribute.

"I think Chad still has the opportunity to have a role," Zimmer said on KFAN radio from the NFL Scouting Combine last week. "He has an opportunity to play. He's still the best linebacker at his position that we have, at this point in time. You just keep going. You can never have too many Greenways."
I know Zimmer's opinion isn't the only opinion but the guy knows defense and if he feels good enough about Greenway's performance last year to make a comment like the one directly above, I think that speaks volumes about what Greenway actually brings to the team.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Superfreak84 wrote: The hate from me comes only from what I see from him on the field. Yeah it would be nice to re-structure but this is a business. The front office can't be worried about hurt feelings.

Just wonder what you are seeing that Zimmer is not seeing.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I think it's unfair to say that a lot of the criticism of Greenway is driven by grades he receives from a website.

I guess I can't speak for everyone, but my criticism of his play is based on what I've seen of him on film. While I agree he still has value as a leader and is a smart player, he's not worth what he's being paid.

He's often out of position, not due to his mental capacity, but because of his underwhelming physical ability. He's an average player, and I would love to keep him, but I don't like the idea of relying on him as a full time player.

My opinion, not Zimmer's or PFF's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

frosted wrote:I think it's unfair to say that a lot of the criticism of Greenway is driven by grades he receives from a website.

I guess I can't speak for everyone, but my criticism of his play is based on what I've seen of him on film. While I agree he still has value as a leader and is a smart player, he's not worth what he's being paid.

He's often out of position, not due to his mental capacity, but because of his underwhelming physical ability. He's an average player, and I would love to keep him, but I don't like the idea of relying on him as a full time player.

My opinion, not Zimmer's or PFF's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can buy the average player sentiment and he knows he not as good as he once was, hence the understanding by him that he will need to take a pay cut. Zimmer also hasn't come out and said Chad is my starter, just knows he still has value. We will never have all pros at every position so at a restructured deal, it will be nice to see him finish his career here.
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

I think a lot of it is driven by the low grades he tends to get from PFF, which stand in direct contrast to the respect he receives from coaches.[/quote]
The hate from me comes only from what I see from him on the field. Yeah it would be nice to re-structure but this is a business. The front office can't be worried about hurt feelings.[/quote]

Just wonder what you are seeing that Zimmer is not seeing.[/quote]
What's he suppose to say? "Oh no he's not good anymore, there's no role for him." Zim's just respecting a veteran leader, but I don't think he's too confident with Greenway being a starter next year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote:I think it's unfair to say that a lot of the criticism of Greenway is driven by grades he receives from a website.
Why is it unfair?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Superfreak84 wrote:What's he suppose to say? "Oh no he's not good anymore, there's no role for him." Zim's just respecting a veteran leader, but I don't think he's too confident with Greenway being a starter next year.
Then why say the opposite? He went beyond just respecting a veteran and praised him. If Greenway is a liability, why did Zimmer start him and why does he appear interested in having him back? Coaches dodge questions about returning players all the time so Zimmer certainly wasn't obligated to say as much as he did.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote: Why is it unfair?
Because, I feel like it is a hasty generalization.