Cassel traded to Buffalo

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Cassel traded to Buffalo

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: I think that's the majority opinion. I'm certainly happy with it. My interest now is in who fills that position and who will be the #3 QB in 2015. Do the Vikes see Devlin as their second or third QB? Is he just camp fodder and will they add two more QBs?

I really want to see how they handle the depth chart at this position over the next few years.
And I think they will handle it appropriately. Spielman knows what we currently have and knows there is a need there. I'm sure we'll find out Tuesday!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:And I think they will handle it appropriately. Spielman knows what we currently have and knows there is a need there. I'm sure we'll find out Tuesday!!
I'm thinking it will take longer than that but perhaps not much longer. I guess it just depends on how they intend to approach it and who they pursue (assuming they plan to pursue anybody). Hoyer's probably a logical candidate...
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Please let this happen. I would love reading the board that day.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

So if we assume all 32 starting QBs are # 1-32 in terms of skill, then who are the top 3 backup quarterbacks in the league? IE who is the 34th, 35th, and 36th best QB in the NFL?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

720pete wrote:So if we assume all 32 starting QBs are # 1-32 in terms of skill, then who are the top 3 backup quarterbacks in the league? IE who is the 34th, 35th, and 36th best QB in the NFL?

I'm not even sure who the best QBs in places like Houston or Tampa Bay are...
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

720pete wrote:So if we assume all 32 starting QBs are # 1-32 in terms of skill, then who are the top 3 backup quarterbacks in the league? IE who is the 34th, 35th, and 36th best QB in the NFL?

Good Question...Shaun Hill is actually one of the first names that came to mind of a backup who can come in and play as well as a good number of starters, but will never be one of those 32 guys to start the season. I would say Matt Cassel could well be in the 33-35 range...Personally I am a believer in Jimmy Garropolo, even if I'm not sure how to spell his last name, so I would say he is #33 on my list. Where is Hasselbeck playing now? I might put him on the list....It does seem that there are fewer competent QBs who settle into a backup role and just make a career out of it early on in their careers than there used to be.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

fiestavike wrote: Good Question...Shaun Hill is actually one of the first names that came to mind of a backup who can come in and play as well as a good number of starters, but will never be one of those 32 guys to start the season. I would say Matt Cassel could well be in the 33-35 range...Personally I am a believer in Jimmy Garropolo, even if I'm not sure how to spell his last name, so I would say he is #33 on my list. Where is Hasselbeck playing now? I might put him on the list....It does seem that there are fewer competent QBs who settle into a backup role and just make a career out of it early on in their careers than there used to be.
I just see guys posting here saying we need a quality #2 QB on this team, and I certainly agree, but at the same point I think its virtually impossible to know who the best backup quarterbacks in the league are.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Shoot we should almost bring 8 undafted guys and take the
best two, at this point
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote:Shoot we should almost bring 8 undafted guys and take the
best two, at this point

Ha! That might work out just as well in the long run, Ken.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@DarrenWolfson Sounds like the #Vikings have made an offer to back-up QB Shaun Hill. Whether he accepts is another matter.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think a guy like Hill would be perfect for a couple of seasons. Not really keen on them drafting and developing a guy til TB has a couple years starting under his belt.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

The Breeze wrote:I think a guy like Hill would be perfect for a couple of seasons. Not really keen on them drafting and developing a guy til TB has a couple years starting under his belt.
I think it is a safe bet they draft another QB this year to develop over a couple of years.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

mmvikes wrote: I think it is a safe bet they draft another QB this year to develop over a couple of years.
Probably so. I just wonder if there's thought against bringing in a guy that's itching to start while TB is in his first full season as the starter.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Ha! That might work out just as well in the long run, Ken.
If you think about how many QB's, don't add up to what they are supposed to be in the draft why not
take a bunch and develop one or two ? Teddy is the starter going forward. ....

Patterson, Wright, Johnson, Bostick could all meet in FL on their own with Teddy and some of these
guys and see what builds.. players workout and train in the off season all the time
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!