Cassel traded to Buffalo

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Cassel traded to Buffalo

Post by Crax »

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 34s34 seconds ago

#Bills acquired Matt Cassel and an undisclosed draft pick from #Vikings for undisclosed draft picks.
I thought Cassel would be decent to have on roster for backup purposes, but I don't hate trading him. Hopefully it isn't a pointless draft pick though as I'd guess Cassel would be one of the better backups to have around.

Saves some money, but nothing too huge in terms of QB dollars
Vikings Journal ‏@vikingsjournal now12 seconds ago
The Vikings will gain $4.75 million in cap space with the trade of Cassel.
TRADE NUTS & BOLTS:
VIKINGS GET - 2015 5th (1st pick in 5th rd, #129) & 2016 7th rd pick.
BILLS GET - Cassel + 2015 6th rd (#172 overall)
Last edited by Crax on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Cassel traded to Buffalo

Post by dead_poet »

Rex and Buffalo working to re-tool the offense. Very curious to see compensation. Leaves the Vikings without a clear #2.

P-p-ponder? :twisted:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Also frees up $4.75M in cap I think.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Bills website says team "will send two undisclosed draft choices to Minnesota in exchange for QB Matt Cassel and an undisclosed draft pick."
‏@AdamSchefter Vikings say they are trading Matt Cassel to Buffalo for an undisclosed draft pick.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

wow....he was going to be a high priced backup. He may start in Buffalo. The Bills are making some shrewd moves.

Will they keep Ponder? Maybe sign that kid Norv had in Cleveland?
ThePiper
Transition Player

Post by ThePiper »

Good I like this, I want us to use a pick in the later rounds to try and find a good backup QB we can groom under Teddy.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I won't feel good being one play away from a late round rook under center. They better sign a vet too. Not much out there.
ThePiper
Transition Player

Post by ThePiper »

The Breeze wrote:I won't feel good being one play away from a late round rook under center. They better sign a vet too. Not much out there.
What veterans are out there? How about Vick!! :lol:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

here comes hoyer.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:Will they keep Ponder? Maybe sign that kid Norv had in Cleveland?
Hoyer is a possibility. I think they'd probably prefer Ponder elsewhere (and vice-versa).
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

ThePiper wrote: What veterans are out there? How about Vick!! :lol:
I saw a list last week.....TJack, Ponder, Sanchez, Vick, Hoyer, Mallet?, Gabbert, ....some that I remember.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings now around $27-$28M under the cap.

Fun fact:
@SigmundBloom 33 career collegiate pass attempts RT @darrenrovell: Matt Cassel had made more than $70 million in his NFL career.
ThePiper
Transition Player

Post by ThePiper »

Wow, Goessling just posted on twitter that check down Charlie himself, Charlie Whitehurst is a big name being mentioned right now, citing his ties with Norv in San Diego. Please no :wallbang:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer -- So 2 picks for pick, player RT @GoesslingESPN #Vikings will get one pick back from Bills, and teams will swap one pick each
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@SigmundBloom That the #vikings got anything for Cassel with a 4.75M price tag for 2015 is a testament to Spielman and the desperation of not having a QB
@GoesslingESPN Don't expect any high picks in return for Cassel, though; I'm told the return will be minimal.