Cassel traded to Buffalo

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Cassel traded to Buffalo

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The problem i have with Hill is if you want to look at his last 16 starts, or even his last 10 starts, you have to go all the way back to 2011. I just don't know how all of you can feel secure having a 35 year old career backup qb with not much recent experience being one play away as the starter for the Vikings. I gotta say, that's a scary thought.

I was confident in Cassel starting last year as i think most of us were. I would've been fine with him starting this year too if BW wasn't ready. If Bridgewater had a season ending injury tomorrow, can you honestly say you'd be fine having Hill as the starter for 2015?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

808vikingsfan wrote:The problem i have with Hill is if you want to look at his last 16 starts, or even his last 10 starts, you have to go all the way back to 2011. I just don't know how all of you can feel secure having a 35 year old career backup qb with not much recent experience being one play away as the starter for the Vikings. I gotta say, that's a scary thought.

I was confident in Cassel starting last year as i think most of us were. I would've been fine with him starting this year too if BW wasn't ready. If Bridgewater had a season ending injury tomorrow, can you honestly say you'd be fine having Hill as the starter for 2015?
Can you honestly say you would feel good about our Super Bowl chances if Cassell was our starter for 16+ games this year?

In my opinion, it looks a lot like this: would you rather have Hill and Wallace or Cassel and Jennings? One set makes our ceiling higher, one set makes our floor higher. If the goal is a Super Bowl, the front office needs to take calculated risks to make our ceiling as high as it can. I don't think we took a huge step back at the backup position, and as much as Wallace was a "bust" in Miami, he had as many TDs as Jennings had in BOTH years he played in Minnesota.

Hill isn't better than Cassel, but I don't think there is a sharp decline. However, he allowed us to add youth, speed, and production to our WRs.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Cassel might not even make Bills' roster

Golly, we sure made a mistake trading him...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DK Sweets wrote:Cassel might not even make Bills' roster

Ouch.

Cassel has to be one of the most overrated QBs in Vikings history.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Ouch.

Cassel has to be one of the most overrated QBs in Vikings history.
But that means he was rated to begin with, right? With the recent history of Vikings quarterbacks that's nothing to sneeze at.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

DK Sweets wrote:Cassel might not even make Bills' roster

This just proved my point from this past offseason. He isn't that good and a few (you know who you are) were saying Spielman was an idiot for trading him and signing Shaun Hill. That trade gave us either Pruitt or Diggs through a trade with other teams. I can't rememever which player but either way we:

-Slashed over $4 million off the cap
-Signed a cheaper veteran that can do just as much as Cassel
-Gained either Pruitt or Diggs who can both possibly be immediate impact players

But yeah what a stupid move by Spielman :confused:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

This just proved my point from this past offseason. He isn't that good and a few (you know who you are) were saying Spielman was an idiot for trading him and signing Shaun Hill. That trade gave us either Pruitt or Diggs through a trade with other teams. I can't remember which player but either way we:

-Slashed over $4 million off the cap
-Signed a cheaper veteran that can do just as much as Cassel
-Gained either Pruitt or Diggs who can both possibly be immediate impact players

But yeah what a stupid move by Spielman :confused:

For me at least I just like Cassel as a person and Viking. He seemed to have good chemistry with the team.
Honestly I think this move was as much about making Teddy the unquestioned leader and QB of this team as
anything else. Hill might be an improvement over Cassel; then again he might not be. At this point the move is made
and Hill is our back up. Hopefully Teddy stays healthy and plays great and Hill gets a great view of Vikings wins.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

LOLOL...8 pages on Matt Cassel and still going strong....I think we have a lot more important issues on this team then a journeyman QB who won't ever add up to much.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

LOLOL...8 pages on Matt Cassel and still going strong....I think we have a lot more important issues on this team then a journeyman QB who won't ever add up to much.
It is a very important role.. ask the packers when they lose Rodgers what happens.

not to mention its a board meant to go over all the news of the Vikings. Several people on this board weren't happy when Cassel was shipped out ...
I was one of them. Currently the business and team appears to better without him. The business side of football isn't always the most fair or loyal
to players
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Really? We're going to make all these assumptions based on practice?

I'd think I'd wait at least till training camp.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Who did the Vikings select with the pick they got for Cassel?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

fiestavike wrote:Who did the Vikings select with the pick they got for Cassel?
If I am right, they traded the pick(137) it to Atlanta for the 146 pick and picked Diggs and I think number 185 Tyrus Thompson.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

chicagopurple wrote:LOLOL...8 pages on Matt Cassel and still going strong....I think we have a lot more important issues on this team then a journeyman QB who won't ever add up to much.
And here you are, posting in the same thread you mock. Oh, the irony.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Raptorman wrote: If I am right, they traded the pick(137) it to Atlanta for the 146 pick and picked Diggs and I think number 185 Tyrus Thompson.
I believe you're right. So in turn, we get an explosive prospect in Diggs and a potential starting RG in Thompson. All for Matt Cassel. I'd take those two and Hill over Cassel any day of the week
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Round Pick Overall Player Note
1 11 11 Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State
2 13 45 Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA
3 24 88 Danielle Hunter, DE, LSU From Detroit
4 11 110 T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh
5 7 143 MyCole Pruitt, TE, Southern Illinois From Detroit through Denver and Chicago
5 10 146 Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland From Atlanta
6 9 185 Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma From Atlanta
6 17 193 B.J. Dubose, DT, Louisville From Kansas City
7 11 228 Austin Shepherd, G, Alabama
7 15 232 Edmond Robinson, LB, Newberry From San Francisco through Miami
Spielman moved a round a ton on the last day and got three extra picks for the ten total he want's in every
draft.

I have not heard anything about Hunter since like rookie minicamp did he get hurt ? or something