Adrian Peterson Reinstated

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Adrian Peterson (not) Reinstated

Post by dead_poet »

Peterson's statement:
“I was pleased to learn about Judge Doty’s decision. It is a positive step in protecting players’ rights and preserving due process for all players. It also brings me one step closer to getting back on the football field and playing the sport I love. As I prepare for my return to football, I am still focused on my family and continue to work to become a better father every day. I want to express my gratitude for all of the support I have received from the fans, NFLPA, Jeffrey Kessler, and my agents Ben Dogra, Tracy Lartigue, and Mark Heligman from Relativity Sports.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... statement/

Interesting what's not included: any mention of the Vikings.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

The Breeze wrote: And the April 15 date is just a threshold for them to consider reinstatement?

With the way AD has been cooperating with Darth Goodell's demands recently, I'm optimistic(because evidently I'm an idiot) that Goodell will reinstate him.

In the meantime they have a decent window to kiss and make up or find amicable way to part.

I think this is about over then. It's all about negotiations now....no?
My understanding is that Peterson has been doing everything that was asked of him. So they have no reason not to reinstate him on April 15th. On that note. If it was only a 6 game suspension, why does he have to be reinstated? Never before has anyone who had long suspension been required to be "reinstated".
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote: How often does Lynch run deep patterns? He ran that one in the Super Bowl. Others? I'd be incredibly surprised but feel free to post examples. Running back route trees are usually pretty similar. They run few deep intermediate to deep patterns.
I'd be surprised if that happened nay more often than it did with Peterson. Lynch one-on-one with a LB is no more of a threat than Peterson in the same situation.
I honestly can't truthfully recall seeing AD split wide or ever seeing him haul in a pass down field on a wheel route. I have some vague memory of seeing it attempted once. I do agree and would suggest that AD split wide against a LB is a bigger advantage compared to Lynch.

I don't have any evidence for attempts in Lynch's case, not sure where to look for that without having specific examples in mind, but I do know that his function as a pass catcher increased dramatically once he hooked up in Seattle. The stats bear that out. 1 receiving TD in 4 years as a Bill and 8 in the past 4 years as a Seahawk including 4 last season. Obviously Carrol and Co have something to do with that....

Which brings me back to the old argument of doubting whether AD has ever played for an NFL coach who truly knows how to use him effectively..... and I say NO.

Yeah....I seriously question what we've seen production-wise from Peterson in terms of his ability vs what he's actually been asked to do. Which is taking the conversation away from the original point of choosing between A or B....I think the success each of them has had is comparable but I do vacillate when it comes to believing AD has been limited as a receiver based on his abilities over just poor creativity scheme wise.

In the end my choice of Lynch was reflective of what I've seen of him being a more diverse weapon over the past 4 seasons(the time frame when I've actually payed attention to him) which all the stats support in terms of receiving yds and TDs.....yet their career numbers are really really close. AD's 2 season's with Brentfarve are as good or better in terms of yards as any of Lynch's...although AD has never caught more than one TD in a season.

I'm glad I looked at these numbers....it furthers my opinion that with the current staff this team is finally be on the upward tick as far as the learning curve goes for the Wylf's.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Raptorman wrote: My understanding is that Peterson has been doing everything that was asked of him.
mine too
Raptorman wrote: So they have no reason not to reinstate him on April 15th. On that note. If it was only a 6 game suspension, why does he have to be reinstated? Never before has anyone who had long suspension been required to be "reinstated".
I asked about the suspension the other day:

but it does sound finished on the 15th either way......

and the comment from AD that DP posted was interesting in it's lack of any mention of Vikings, teammates or otherwise.

let the negotiations begin.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

The Breeze wrote:
...and the comment from AD that DP posted was interesting in it's lack of any mention of Vikings, teammates or otherwise.

Which Irks me to a certain degree. If a similar comment had come out from Zigi, Rick, or Zimmer I would be quite upset at a lack of mention of AP. This seems like a tactical decision on his part but I don't know what he is trying to achieve unless the Vikings were FIRMLY pushing for a pay cut which seems unlikely or, also unlikely, AP is going for something more in his contract...

I am really confused.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

IrishViking wrote:

Which Irks me to a certain degree. If a similar comment had come out from Zigi, Rick, or Zimmer I would be quite upset at a lack of mention of AP. This seems like a tactical decision on his part but I don't know what he is trying to achieve unless the Vikings were FIRMLY pushing for a pay cut which seems unlikely or, also unlikely, AP is going for something more in his contract...

I am really confused.
It looked like a carefully prepared statement to me. I didn't read anything but DP's post so, I don't have the full context, but I assume he's being coached along by his agent.

yeah, it's confusing, but at least they don't have the league to keep them from talking now.
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

This is interesting...

"If Doty’s order stands, it would serve as a significant legal victory for Peterson, who could now seek repayment of the $4.1 million in salary he lost while suspended plus other damages. The victory is arguably even more significant for the NFLPA, which gains a favorable legal precedent on the limits of Goodell’s ability to suspend players."

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/26/adrian ... ta-vikings

So if Peterson wins in court, who would pay the $4.1 million that he lost while suspended? The Vikings? The NFL?

What a mess.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:Which brings me back to the old argument of doubting whether AD has ever played for an NFL coach who truly knows how to use him effectively..... and I say NO.
... and I say "Balderdash!" :)

Seriously, I can understand that perhaps you'd prefer to see him used differently or even that you believe it's possible to get more out of him but in 2012 he came within 8 yards of breaking the single season rushing record, had over 2314 yards from scrimmage (tied for 8th best all-time) and was voted league MVP. I think it's safe to say, with confidence, that he was used effectively .
Lars wrote:So if Peterson wins in court, who would pay the $4.1 million that he lost while suspended? The Vikings? The NFL?.
I assume it would be the Vikings.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:Which Irks me to a certain degree. If a similar comment had come out from Zigi, Rick, or Zimmer I would be quite upset at a lack of mention of AP. This seems like a tactical decision on his part but I don't know what he is trying to achieve unless the Vikings were FIRMLY pushing for a pay cut which seems unlikely or, also unlikely, AP is going for something more in his contract...

I am really confused.
Bingo. It's likely about money and leverage.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: ... and I say "Balderdash!" :)

Seriously, I can understand that perhaps you'd prefer to see him used differently or even that you believe it's possible to get more out of him but in 2012 he came within 8 yards of breaking the single season rushing record, had over 2314 yards from scrimmage (tied for 8th best all-time) and was voted league MVP. I think it's safe to say, with confidence, that he was used effectively .
I don't really think the most effective use of an Adrian Peterson is getting the maximum # of yards out of him. Still, AD had over 1000 yds after contact that season and the team barely squeaked into the playoffs with him as their crutch on offense. Completely relying on him to carry the offense is not effective use of him IMO...in fact it's piss poor management of a quality weapon. Granted he was basically the only weapon they had any consistent success with that year and it may speak to the type of team complimenting him more than any coaching gaffs or lack of creativity.

The most balanced offense the Vikes have had since AD's arrival was in 2009, and AD had 6 more TDs and over 200yds more receiving than in his record year and the offense scored almost 100 more points. More effective use IMO. And I would wager Favre had more to do with that than anything Brad Bevell did. It's probably more fair to suggest that coaches (Fraizer/Musgrave) have been hampered in their abilities to make the most out of his talents based on the talent at QB for most of his career. It is probably a reach to say the failure in my eyes is all about coaching or lack thereof.

I just think the most effective use of the guy comes when he is not required to carry the offense....I don't believe it's happened yet as a result of coaching. His 2000 yds were more his own doing and defenses lack of respect for Ponder not some coaching brilliance.

Turner is the first guy who is somewhat comparable in skill at his craft as is AD.......it remains to be seen if the game has not passed Turner by.
------------------------

Editing this due to the effects of Grand Marnier + Cabernet....I think I might have had an allergic reaction.... cause it made me dizzy and I woke with a colorful headache :confused:

The conclusion I struggled to get to is that my idea of effectively using Adrian results in the whole offense being better due to him. I think that is unrealistic to expect solely by him or any coaching effort. He had his MVP year but the offense was way better in 09 in which his numbers were more his average.

As usual the QB is they guy that makes the whole team better.
AD and TB could spend the next 4 seasons together posting double digit wins with playoff appearances and TB would be the bigger factor just due to the nature of his position.
The thought of it brings up that mismanaged QB position issue angst. If they had ironed out the QB position after Culpepper, is it less likely that AD has his MVP season due to the offense being more balanced ? Can't really say for sure, but I would think yes.

I don't think the Vikings have anything beyond mediocre coaching and QBs for AD's whole career save for Brentfarve 2009. Maybe things are are different now.

I did find this quote from Peterson's agent from 2011 while I was looking at the perks of his contract:
"Adrian loves playing for the Minnesota Vikings," his agent, Ben Dogra, told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "Deep inside he wanted to finish his career with the Minnesota Vikings."
"He said, 'Look, I'm under contract. I'm just going to play,'" Dogra said. "He never contemplated holding out. He understands the business side of things. He's very smart like that. He only knows one speed in life, and that's all out. That's why they call him, 'All Day.'"
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69520 ... -100m-deal
funny how things can change
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Lynch was considered a bit of a dud his first few years, till he got to Seattle and Seattle got good he wasn't even top 10. For example he has only played a full 16 games of season 3 times in his 9 seasons which happens to be his last three with Seattle.
Huh I thought he was have team and off the field issues with the bills. I know he got arrested driving around with
a bunch hard core gang members and a few other things. In Oakland if I remember right ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

The Breeze wrote: I just think the most effective use of the guy comes when he is not required to carry the offense....I don't believe it's happened yet as a result of coaching. His 2000 yds were more his own doing and defenses lack of respect for Ponder not some coaching brilliance.
I'm curious as to why you think the defenses lack of respect for Ponder helped AP get his 2000+ yards. I think it would be more appropriate to say AP got 2000+ yards DESPITE the defenses lack of respect for Ponder since they would stack the box more to stop AP. Just don't see how stacking the box to stop the run helped him.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

So best case scenario is that the Viking's brass took AP & co out to dinner and they all got a chance to patch the leaks?

One can hope.

I am a little concerned that there are no stories of meet and greets and hugs coming out

:(
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

:cry:

REPORT: Vikings Doing All They Can To Dump Adrian Peterson, Multiple Teams Interested
Multiple sources have confirmed to me that the Minnesota Vikings are working as hard as they can to trade Adrian Peterson, and are willing to unload him “any way they can.” Though ownership and the front office have made overtures to keeping Adrian Peterson, the reality is that they are attempting to get him off the team through any means necessary.

One source told me multiple teams are interested in Peterson, though the strength or seriousness of their interest was not relayed to me.

The Vikings have been attempting to trade Adrian Peterson for weeks.
Full post: http://vikingsterritory.com/2015/genera ... interested
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote::cry:

REPORT: Vikings Doing All They Can To Dump Adrian Peterson, Multiple Teams Interested
Full post: http://vikingsterritory.com/2015/genera ... interested
Multiple sources lol. Multiple teams lol. Doesn't mean anything to me if there is no concrete name to these sources or teams.

On the other hand, if we really are seeing the end of Adrian Peterson, don't let the door hit you on the way out jack ####. Nothing pisses me off more than someone who is so ungrateful for all that someone did for them. This team never had to pay him his full salary. This team never had to support him one ounce, but I guess, hey, the Vikings are in the wrong in this one. :roll: FOH AP.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.