Adrian Peterson Reinstated

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Vikings28
Starter

Re: Adrian Peterson Reinstated

Post by Vikings28 »

AD is tweeting about his contract situation right now if you want to check it out.

I liked seeing this from Mike Garafolo:
Peterson, btw, spoke to Mike Zimmer yesterday after Zimmer's comments. Smoothed over. Still respect there. More on @AmericasPregame at 5p.
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status ... 3190769664

That's good to hear. I guess his relationship with the front office doesn't matter too much but there has to be respect between him and the coaches and it appears there's still plenty of that there.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote:Why would it be okay if he plays for the Vikings again, stays healthy and receives $45 million over the next 3 years but not okay if the exact same thing happens and some of the money in his contract is guaranteed? The only answer I can come up with is that it wouldn't be okay because the latter scenario involves giving him something he wants and since he's a bad man, he shouldn't be allowed to get something he wants.
Absent the current situation I really couldn't envision this even being a topic of discussion. Every player wants as much guaranteed money as possible in a contract when they first sign it. Peterson's current contract had a healthy amount of guaranteed money that was front-loaded IIRC, and the Vikings structured it the way they did originally because it struck the right balance between their interests and Peterson's interests.

I think what bothers most people about the current situation is how Peterson is coming off. He signed the original deal. He got his guaranteed money and still stands to earn a healthy sum if he plays out the remainder of the contract. If the Vikings were to modify the deal at this point, it should be because it makes sense for them from a salary cap perspective or for some other reason that has real benefit to the team. It shouldn't be because said player is throwing a hissy fit over vague and largely unsubstantiated claims that the Vikings somehow did him wrong in this.

Other than to declare their dedication to Peterson, which I think they did by keeping him on the roster last year and are doing by honoring his current contract in full, I don't see much benefit to the Vikings unless the total amount on the contract is substantially lowered.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I'm beyond caring about the message restructuring Peterson's contract would send to people. I'm resigned to the fact that they'll see it as they choose to see it. To me, the idea that a revised deal would be rewarding bad behavior makes no logical sense. If they made such a deal, the Vikings wouldn't be giving Peterson a pat on the back and a "well done" for committing a crime, getting suspended, etc. On an intellectual level, I suspect everybody grasps that. What the Vikes would be doing is reaching a business agreement with a football player whose ability they value. I'm guessing that's obvious to everyone too. Consequently, the idea that his contract shouldn't be restructured because it would be a reward for bad behavior strikes me as a purely emotional response. It seems like a passive-aggressive form of continued punishment (ie: Peterson did something bad, therefore he shouldn't get something he wants). Does that really make logical or moral sense? Why would it be okay if he plays for the Vikings again, stays healthy and receives $45 million over the next 3 years but not okay if the exact same thing happens and some of the money in his contract is guaranteed? The only answer I can come up with is that it wouldn't be okay because the latter scenario involves giving him something he wants and since he's a bad man, he shouldn't be allowed to get something he wants.

Morally, if it's wrong to pay him and play him then it seems it should be every bit as wrong to do so under his current deal as under a new one. After all, he's still getting the privilege of playing in the NFL and receiving a $13 million dollar "reward' for bad behavior.

My feeling is that it's time to move on (but I'm not telling anybody to move on—if people want/need to stay angry or can't forgive Peterson, that's understandable). The crime's been done, the consequences faced and the team and player now have business to do. I think there's a very good chance Peterson and the Vikes were going to end up having a discussion about guaranteed money at this point in his contract anyway. It never looked to me like a deal that would play out "as is".

My apologies if the post above offends anyone. I tried hard not to offend...
I don't think there's anything offensive about your response at all. :)

I guess I believe there's a difference between honoring a commitment to a player and doing more for a player that hasn't done anything to warrant it. When you say the organization is "reaching a business agreement with a football player whose ability they value" I agree with that; it's called the contract he previously signed. I could justify committing more guaranteed money to Peterson in the manner you suggest if this never happened and he's still performing at a high level. As it stands he committed a pretty substantial crime and has played one game since 2013. Again, I suppose I'm fine with a small concession (guaranteeing part or all of his existing contract), but that's still problematic for me for the reasons stated above.

The fact remains that if the Vikings wanted to do something about Peterson's contract this year that would've happened by now. It's pretty clear to me they did not want to do that. Peterson wants them to, even in light of his transgressions. He seems to think he's entitled to that, which is where he loses me. Despite everything he's still the highest paid running back in the league. I suppose where I'm also struggling is that this is a special situation with a special player. The rules are different. Had this situation happened to, say, Shonn Greene, this would be quite different.

From a purely business perspective, I can see the Vikings (before this whole mess) wanting to re-structure at this point to lower his cap number and perhaps even total overall take home cash in exchange for some additional guarantees or new money. Now? Peterson would likely feel incredibly jaded if the concept of getting paid less was even mentioned (even though "less" is a relative term in this instance).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Vikings28 wrote:AD is tweeting about his contract situation right now if you want to check it out.

I liked seeing this from Mike Garafolo:
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status ... 3190769664

That's good to hear. I guess his relationship with the front office doesn't matter too much but there has to be respect between him and the coaches and it appears there's still plenty of that there.
Yeah, despite everything Peterson has a good heart, he cares, he'll respect people who earn it, etc. Not surprised to hear him and Zimmer are still getting along.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Uhhh?? Can someone translate? The Vikings ARE honoring your contract, Adrian.
@AdrianPeterson I love people who think they know it all! Smh, Research how many NFL teams hasn't honored a player's contract & learn something.
@AdrianPeterson Question for the people, is a contract two sided or one?
@AdrianPeterson Ok great two sided! Well why when one party decides ... Mr. ? we wan't you to take a pay cut now or better yet flat out release you!
@AdrianPeterson There's never no talk about honoring a contract!
@AdrianPeterson I know hundreds of player's that wished their team would've HONORED the contract! But instead got threw to the side like like trash.
@AdrianPeterson A lill crazy how one side has so much power that they can do as they please when it come to the contract! But when the other-side (player's)
@AdrianPeterson Feels for whatever reason! Family, Change of scenery or simply - what they feels just might work best for them! Those same laws don't apply!
@AdrianPeterson It's all about honoring you're contract! Sounds like free will is being a lil challenged to me!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:the current situation I really couldn't envision this even being a topic of discussion. Every player wants as much guaranteed money as possible in a contract when they first sign it. Peterson's current contract had a healthy amount of guaranteed money that was front-loaded IIRC, and the Vikings structured it the way they did originally because it struck the right balance between their interests and Peterson's interests.

I think what bothers most people about the current situation is how Peterson is coming off. He signed the original deal. He got his guaranteed money and still stands to earn a healthy sum if he plays out the remainder of the contract. If the Vikings were to modify the deal at this point, it should be because it makes sense for them from a salary cap perspective or for some other reason that has real benefit to the team. It shouldn't be because said player is throwing a hissy fit over vague and largely unsubstantiated claims that the Vikings somehow did him wrong in this
It does make sense for them from a salary cap perspective and let's not pretend big contracts like the one Peterson signed don't get renegotiated when they reach their latter stages all the time. They're rarely meant to stand.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@dkaplanSBJ @AdrianPeterson actually arguing against job his union did in CBA. That said, union has done a nice job defending him. Does he get that?
@SeifertESPN Fair message on one-sided NFL contracts, @AdrianPeterson. Probably not the best messenger.
@MasterStrib NFL players should get more gtd $$, IMO. It's a brutal sport. But Peterson fighting a battle he ain't gonna win coming off a suspension.
@ArifHasanNFL I wonder if this will affect Adrian Peterson's Awareness rating in Madden
@MNBrianHall Makes you wonder if he would be just fine with current contract as long as he knew he'd reach the end?
@mattvensel #Vikings are honoring his contract right now. Question is if they will after 2015.
@MNBrianHall Adrian Peterson has decided to speak out himself. Positioning himself that he just wants the security of his contract.
@TomPelissero Peterson's question is rhetorical, of course. Once guarantees run out, NFL teams can do what they want. Players' only option is withholding.
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

I would almost always side with the players in a contract dispute because they do get screwed often. Teams can cut them whenever they want and move on. It's a brutal game where you should get everything you possibly can.

However, this isn't one of those times and AD isn't that guy. He's the highest paid player at his position and he's coming off a suspension. They paid him ~$8M for playing in one game last season. Also, no team is going to pay him anywhere close to what the Vikings are next season. He isn't getting screwed in any way when it comes to his contract.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

DP, I think you misunderstood his argument. He seems to be responding to the people who say "honor the contract that you signed". He's arguing that the teams rarely honor the contract, so he should not be held to a higher standard than the real money makers.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DK Sweets wrote:DP, I think you misunderstood his argument. He seems to be responding to the people who say "honor the contract that you signed". He's arguing that the teams rarely honor the contract, so he should not be held to a higher standard than the real money makers.
Yeah, I got that now. He's not necessarily speaking for himself but of the business. I get it (and agree players should get as much as they can). I just find it hard to sympathize with millionaires, especially ones in his position.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@AdrianPeterson All I'm saying as a Minnesota Viking player! WE need the same power to do as all 32 teams do we they feel, under contract or not!
@AdrianPeterson It's time for a change! Then again I'm grateful because at the end of the day, I know some of those same guys that wish a team held on!
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

I know he's probably doing that on a phone but jesus christ i've seen 2nd graders with a better grasp of the english language.

It also seems to me that this isn't about guaranteed money, he wants out. Just an observation. His ranting is about teams dropping players that want to stay, and keeping players that want to leave.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

dead_poet wrote:Yeah, I got that now. He's not necessarily speaking for himself but of the business. I get it (and agree players should get as much as they can). I just find it hard to sympathize with millionaires, especially ones in his position.
I'm not 100% sure where I stand on this, so please understand that I'm just posing an idea: if you find it hard to sympathize with millionaire players, aren't you by default sympathizing with the billionaire owners?
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Boon wrote:I know he's probably doing that on a phone but jesus christ i've seen 2nd graders with a better grasp of the english language.

It also seems to me that this isn't about guaranteed money, he wants out. Just an observation. His ranting is about teams dropping players that want to stay, and keeping players that want to leave.
Twitter is the worst invention since edible underwear.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DK Sweets wrote:I'm not 100% sure where I stand on this, so please understand that I'm just posing an idea: if you find it hard to sympathize with millionaire players, aren't you by default sympathizing with the billionaire owners?
No.