Off the Board

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Off the Board

Post by dead_poet »

Fun series. I'll keep it posted every time I see a new installment.

---
In the days leading up to the draft, after their draft boards have pretty much been set in stone, most teams, including the Vikings, do their own mock draft exercises to make sure they are prepared for the twists and turns of the draft, especially the first round, which is the best show on television.

So in the spirit of that, between now and April’s draft we will participate in an exercise I’ve dubbed “Off the Board,” in which we theorize about how the Vikings might proceed with their 11th overall pick based on the draft-night drama that unfolds in front of them. I’ll come up with a new scenario every couple of weeks. Remember, this is more about the draft process than the actual picks.

For the debut installment of “Off the Board,” let’s explore the scenario of what might happen if each of the top three wide receivers go in the top 10 picks, a very real possibility after Kevin White and Amari Cooper blew up the combine and DeVante Parker did nothing to drop his stock with a solid showing himself. Barring an unexpected off-the-field incident or a fluke injury before draft, I think it’s safe to say that White and Cooper will be long gone by the 11th pick, and Parker could, too.
The pick in this scenario? Scherff.

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... -receivers
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Off the Board

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:Fun series. I'll keep it posted every time I see a new installment.

---
The pick in this scenario? Scherff.

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... -receivers
If Beasley, Waynes, and Collins are all on the board at 11 I think Spielman will be doing cartwheels. The drop off at OLB, S, and CB are significant after each of those players. I can only imagine what Zimmer would dream up with Beasley and Barr teaming up at LB for the next decade. Rhodes/Waynes and Collins/Smith would be great combos too, but if Beasley is on the board at 11 I'd be suprised if the Vikings didn't take him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:If Beasley, Waynes, and Collins are all on the board at 11 I think Spielman will be doing cartwheels. The drop off at OLB, S, and CB are significant after each of those players. I can only imagine what Zimmer would dream up with Beasley and Barr teaming up at LB for the next decade. Rhodes/Waynes and Collins/Smith would be great combos too, but if Beasley is on the board at 11 I'd be suprised if the Vikings didn't take him.
Beasley is a monster.

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Beasley is a monster.

I'd be curious to see his comps against LBs. I see him as an ideal 3-4 olb but with such athletic ability that he could also excel as a 4-3 OLB that would give Zimmer some RIDICULOUS versatility, ahtleticism, height and bulk to work with. Barr, Griffin, Beasley give you unreal ability to camouflage what you are doing, as all 3 have size, speed, quickness, pass rush ability, and movement ability in space. I don't think beasley will be there at 11, but man it would make for a fun defense.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

I'd rather have collins, he's actually a safety. Not another pass rushing hybrid linebacker who not many people have ever seen cover anyone. Collins will be gone though, that's not even an option. I still say get a wideout
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

For some reason I can't see the FO selecting a LB/hybrid guy at 11. I think and hope that they do something to secure the future of our young QB and face of the franchise. Whether that be selecting one of the 3 Offensive Linemen, 3 WR, or trading down to get more picks and taking a RB. I don't think we will see AP in purple next season (just my opinion). My ideal 1st three rounds would be Scherff/La'El Collins with 11, Gordon with a pick recieved for AP, and a WR in the second round hopefully Green/Beckham. And maybe he will still be there in the third Perryman the ILB from Miami.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Vic Beasley is a monster and I don't think he is going to last until pick 11. We would have one interesting #### defense with Barr and Beasley at OLB with Everson Griffen at RDE.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think this year we will be heavy in both OF line and Defense Line
Especially if we lose DT Tom Johnson in FA
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Man I'd love to replace Robison!

And no thanks on Scherff. Or any offensive linemen. The investment is too much for the return you get compared to a free agent or later pick on an offensive linemen.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:Man I'd love to replace Robison!

And no thanks on Scherff. Or any offensive linemen. The investment is too much for the return you get compared to a free agent or later pick on an offensive linemen.
Yeah because doing that didn't help Dallas at all? :roll:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yeah because doing that didn't help Dallas at all? :roll:
If you think a new right guard was the difference in Dallas, I have some oceanfront bridge based property to sell you in Iowa.

They had a top 10 offensive both years. The defense going from bottom 3 to the top half of the league was what helped Dallas...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote: If you think a new right guard was the difference in Dallas, I have some oceanfront bridge based property to sell you in Iowa.

They had a top 10 offensive both years. The defense going from bottom 3 to the top half of the league was what helped Dallas...
Murray ran for over 1800 yards and Romo had one of his best seasons. Much of this was because of their offensive line. A good guard can make the world of difference especially since we're set at C, RG, and RT. A good LG could also help Kalil immensely. Not only that but Scherff can literally play anywhere on the offensive line. To say we shouldn't take any lineman in the first round makes zero sense. If that was the "smart" thing to do, nobody would bother drafting first round OL
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Murray ran for over 1800 yards and Romo had one of his best seasons. Much of this was because of their offensive line.
Murray's average went *down*. He just ran the ball 180 time more. Also the only season he stayed healthy. AD had 2097 yards with the same line he has 1266 the following season with. Romo's numbers were better, but it wasn't like the year before he was horrible. If there defense was as bad as last year, Murray wouldn't have been able to get that many carries, Romo would have had to throw more, and that right guard would have made little difference.

If OL is far and away the BPA, fine. If it's up to a slightly higher graded OL or a WR or CB. I'd take the skill position. It's easier to coach a late round pick, or find a solid veteran in free agency on the offensive line than it is at those other positions that teams value more. Just look at the current C/G. And then look over at left tackle the last couple seasons...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote: Murray's average went *down*. He just ran the ball 180 time more. Also the only season he stayed healthy. AD had 2097 yards with the same line he has 1266 the following season with. Romo's numbers were better, but it wasn't like the year before he was horrible. If there defense was as bad as last year, Murray wouldn't have been able to get that many carries, Romo would have had to throw more, and that right guard would have made little difference.

If OL is far and away the BPA, fine. If it's up to a slightly higher graded OL or a WR or CB. I'd take the skill position. It's easier to coach a late round pick, or find a solid veteran in free agency on the offensive line than it is at those other positions that teams value more. Just look at the current C/G. And then look over at left tackle the last couple seasons...
I personally want us to to CB or WR in the first round but what I'm saying is, I'm not going to sit here and say OL is a waste in the first round no matter who it is. Thats what I'm disagreeing with. The only OL I want in the first is Scherff. But I would rather have Cooper, Parker, or Waynes. I wouldnt mind snagging the kid from Hobart in the 2nd-3rd round (Ali Marpet). He looked like one of the best guards at the combine but will fall due to playing for a small school. The small school thing worked with Fusco so its not out of the question.

But like I said, I would take Scherff but that's it in the first.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Demi wrote: Murray's average went *down*. He just ran the ball 180 time more.
And thus, their defense was a lot better.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins