Vikings' Mike Zimmer eager to tell team 'why we were 7-9'

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings' Mike Zimmer eager to tell team 'why we were 7-9'

Post by Mothman »

I love Mike Zimmer. :)

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_27 ... storiesrot
Before addressing reporters during a media session at the NFL combine on Wednesday, Vikings general manager Rick Spielman made it a point to single out coach Mike Zimmer for "the job he did last year."

The Vikings finished 7-9 but lost starting running back Adrian Peterson and quarterback Matt Cassell for most of the season, and starters Phil Loadholt, Brandon Fusco and Kyle Rudolph for large chunks.

Zimmer is glad to have Spielman's support, but he said Thursday he's had enough of the praise being heaped on him.

"I'm tired of it, to be honest of you," he said from NFL's scouting combine. "I can't wait to get in front of our team and tell them all the reasons why we were 7-9. I don't want to listen to this stuff about how great we're going to be ... (The players) are going to be in for a shocker, I think."
Zimmer shrugs off the compliments.

"There's so many things I have to do better," he said. "I have to be more demanding. I have to be able to point out more of what I want to get done. ... (with) players, mostly -- tougher, more physical. ...

"I don't think I did near a good enough job because I was so worried about getting the scheme right, getting this or that right.

I let too many things get away from me."
There's more at the link.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings' Mike Zimmer eager to tell team 'why we were 7-9

Post by frosted »

He's pretty damn awesome eh? The best thing about him is he's the last guy who will ever buy into any sort of 'hype train' ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Yeah, I like Zimmer, too. He seems to have his head on straight and is honest about what he needs to do as the head coach.

I also like what he said about worrying so much "about getting the scheme right, getting this or that right."

It can't be easy to be a head coach in the NFL.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Zimmer was the guy I really want and then have ...three great coaches back him
great pick up for us
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Yeah, I like Zimmer, too. He seems to have his head on straight and is honest about what he needs to do as the head coach.

I also like what he said about worrying so much "about getting the scheme right, getting this or that right."

It can't be easy to be a head coach in the NFL.

I'm surprised they don't all have their hair go gray within 2-3 years. It looks like a really stressful, demanding job.

I think what I love so much about that Zimmer quote I highlighted is that it's exactly how I've been feeling this winter. I'm thrilled by his attitude because I think it's the approach the team needs if their future is actually going to be bright.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
I'm surprised they don't all have their hair go gray within 2-3 years. It looks like a really stressful, demanding job.
Just For Men (the product, I mean).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

There's a good video interview with Zimmer on PFT's site:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... trade-yet/
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Zimmer speaking to the team and explaining "why we were 7-9". "Gentlemen, we are 7-9 because we won only 7 games and lost 9". :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Purple bruise wrote:Zimmer speaking to the team and explaining "why we were 7-9". "Gentlemen, we are 7-9 because we won only 7 games and lost 9". :lol:

I was thinking... the Vikings went 1-5 against the division... which means they were 6-4 against the rest of the NFL, one of those losses being against the Super Bowl Champions. If they can clean up the messes when they play the NFC North, it will help them in many ways.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I was thinking... the Vikings went 1-5 against the division... which means they were 6-4 against the rest of the NFL, one of those losses being against the Super Bowl Champions. If they can clean up the messes when they play the NFC North, it will help them in many ways.
There's definitely reason for optimism. But keep in mind, we did win 3 games vs the awful NFC South.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Superfreak84 wrote:There's definitely reason for optimism. But keep in mind, we did win 3 games vs the awful NFC South.
At least we didn't lose them.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

There's a couple reasons why we were only 7-9.
1. We can't protect the quarterback
2. We had a rookie Qb going through growing pains, but played very well down the stretch
3. Can't stop the run.
4. Can't get pressure with a 4-man rush
5. No AP
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Superfreak84 wrote:There's a couple reasons why we were only 7-9.
1. We can't protect the quarterback
2. We had a rookie Qb going through growing pains, but played very well down the stretch
3. Can't stop the run.
4. Can't get pressure with a 4-man rush
5. No AP
6. 60% of the o-line was injured
7. Our top receiver was on a practice squad last year
8. Tackling was poor at times
9. Rudolph had trouble staying on the field, again.
10. Walsh lacked his crazy long range accuracy he had as a rookie and Locke seriously underperformed
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

I think it's a huge relief knowing we have a front office and coaching staff that we don't need to be universally skeptical about. The foundation is here.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

yezzir wrote:I think it's a huge relief knowing we have a front office and coaching staff that we don't need to be universally skeptical about. The foundation is here.
I like Zimmer. I'm decidedly "meh" with George Edwards (not really sure what his role is other than to carry out Zimmer's commands) and Norv Turner was a bit of a disappointment in my eyes last season (granted there were several things working against him). But in the big picture I agree with you. Hopefully it all comes together early and often during the season.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly