Charles Johnson "Far and Away" best WR on Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Charles Johnson "Far and Away" best WR on Vikings

Post by fiestavike »

Thought this might be of interest

3. Bumped into former Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner and one of the more depressing things he related was that Charles Johnson is “far and away our best receiver” on the Minnesota Vikings. Turner said that with the Browns, he and his son, Scott, who was Browns receivers coach, tried to get Joe Banner to draft Johnson in a late round in 2013. Scott Turner had worked him out at Grand Valley State. Green Bay eventually took Johnson in the seventh round. Johnson couldn’t make the loaded Packers roster and he eventually suffered a torn ACL as a member of their practice squad. Needing a receiver, the Browns poached Johnson later in that season, rehabbed him from surgery, and then demoted him to their practice squad in 2014. The Vikings, at the urging of the Turners, then poached Johnson from the Browns. (Scott is the Vikings' quarterbacks coach.) In the second half of the season, Johnson emerged as quarterback Teddy Bridgewater’s No. 1 receiver. He wound up with 31 receptions for 475 yards, a 15.3-yard average. Turner said he has high hopes for him in 2015 with the knee surgery further behind him. Meanwhile, the Browns are looking for receivers (again).
http://espncleveland.com/common/more.ph ... t_id=42621
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Charles Johnson "Far and Away" best WR on Vikings

Post by Mothman »

Hmmm... why do I get the feeling Norv's probably being mis-quoted or misinterpreted here? I sure hope so because if he thinks Johnson is far and away the best WR on the Vikings then that's scary. Jennings is clearly a much more skilled, reliable WR than Johnson.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:Hmmm... why do I get the feeling Norv's probably being mis-quoted or misinterpreted here? I sure hope so because if he thinks Johnson is far and away the best WR on the Vikings then that's scary. Jennings is clearly a much more skilled, reliable WR than Johnson.
It can be read two ways. The Vikings WR corps is extremely weak, or Charles Johnson is a lot better than he is being given credit for by fans. The presence of Jennings would suggest it is the latter.

Or the quote is inaccurate :confused:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: It can be read two ways. The Vikings WR corps is extremely weak, or Charles Johnson is a lot better than he is being given credit for by fans. The presence of Jennings would suggest it is the latter.
i'd contend that if he is considerably better than Jennings, it would be obvious on the field. After all, the statement isn't about potential (or if it is, that wasn't included the quote).

I don't know. Something doesn't add up. :confused: Maybe Norv said Johnson was far and away their best deep threat or something.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: i'd contend that if he is considerably better than Jennings, it would be obvious on the field. After all, the statement isn't about potential (or if it is, that wasn't included the quote).

I don't know. Something doesn't add up. :confused: Maybe Norv said Johnson was far and away their best deep threat or something.
Well, whatever the case, I can't see Johnson being anything more than a pleasant surprise in some of the games. For example, he was practically invisible against the Dolphins and Bears at the end of the season, though that's not completely on him. He also dropped a couple passes in critical situations.

Jennings might not be the receiver that he once was but he seems more reliable than Johnson at this point. So I don't get Turner saying Johnson is the best WR the Vikings currently have.

That said, I like Johnson a lot. Very talented and I love his speed! I'm glad the Vikings have him and I'm hoping he continues to improve with experience.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:Hmmm... why do I get the feeling Norv's probably being mis-quoted or misinterpreted here? I sure hope so because if he thinks Johnson is far and away the best WR on the Vikings then that's scary. Jennings is clearly a much more skilled, reliable WR than Johnson.
I think they are two completely different WRs and are both good in their specific skill set
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I wonder if he is particularly fond of him because he was his "discovery" or "diamond in the rough"?
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

I think Norv saying this is good motivation for all the recievers. It gives Charles Johnson some credit and encourages his hard work. It lets Cordarrelle know he's lost the competition so hes gonna have to show up to camp with better route running and top physical condition to have a chance at his job. It pushes Jennings because he won't want to be called 2nd receiver to a 2nd year guy.
ON TO VALHALLA
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

By the end of the year it seemed pretty obvious to me. Johnson consistently got open and was where he was supposed to be. Without looking at any numbers (though I'm guessing they'd back this up) and judging by the last 6 or so games of the season, Charles Johnson was the best by the end of the year. I don't think it's a tactic by Turner to motivate players or taken out of context ... from my recollection of the end of the season, it's simply fact.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I'm starting to think it may be a slight to the Vikings receivers masking as a compliment to Johnson. I mean Johnson has been a nice find, but he's no A.J. Green/Calvin Johnson here. I know there are cases of long-shots paying dividends (early Miles Austin, Victor Cruz) but it's generally not a great sign when you're counting on a former 7th-round, two-team practice-squad guy as your #1.

I don't recall a Vikings receiving team like this in many years. No clear-cut #1, but not a group of also-rans like trotting Greg Camarillo, Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis out there (respect for Lewis' catch notwithstanding). Instead it's presently roster of varying degrees of above-average options (with Patterson currently a large question mark). It'll be interesting to see what the Vikings do in the draft and free agency at the position. If they go WR early, you have to think that's a pretty big inditement on how they view Patterson.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:If they go WR early, you have to think that's a pretty big indictment on how they view Patterson.
Or Jennings and his contract.

Patterson might be rough right now but he's a diamond in the rough. Too much talent to be denied.

I think Zimmer and Turner see that, which is why they're taking the off-season approach with him that they are.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I'm starting to think it may be a slight to the Vikings receivers masking as a compliment to Johnson. I mean Johnson has been a nice find, but he's no A.J. Green/Calvin Johnson here. I know there are cases of long-shots paying dividends (early Miles Austin, Victor Cruz) but it's generally not a great sign when you're counting on a former 7th-round, two-team practice-squad guy as your #1.

I don't recall a Vikings receiving team like this in many years. No clear-cut #1, but not a group of also-rans like trotting Greg Camarillo, Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis out there (respect for Lewis' catch notwithstanding). Instead it's presently roster of varying degrees of above-average options (with Patterson currently a large question mark). It'll be interesting to see what the Vikings do in the draft and free agency at the position. If they go WR early, you have to think that's a pretty big inditement on how they view Patterson.
Maybe but as Craig pointed out, it may also speak to Jennings age and contract. It could also just mean they saw a talent they didn't want to pass up.

I'm surprised to see you say that you view the Vikings current receiving depth chart as a group of above-average options. The only receiver in that group I might call above average is Jennings and I'm not sure he's much above average anymore either.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I'm surprised to see you say that you view the Vikings current receiving depth chart as a group of above-average options. The only receiver in that group I might call above average is Jennings and I'm not sure he's much above average anymore either.
I agree. I would call Patterson way above average as an athlete. In fact, I'd say the same about Johnson and Wright. The Vikings have some real athleticism and speed among their young receivers. I think that's where they're good.

However, I'm not sure any of them are above average at catching the ball and running routes. Not consistently, anyway. "Consistency" has been a problem for the team's passing game on a number of levels for quite some time.

That said, there is potential among the young WRs. And it will help them if the OL's pass protection gets better and Teddy's progress as a QB continues to rise.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I was glad when we poached Jennings from Green Bay, mostly because I think they might have won another championship if they had kept him. I think he might have some value as a veteran mentor this year, but I think for all intents and purposes he's entering a contract year and we might cut him and give Wright some of that money next year.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:Maybe but as Craig pointed out, it may also speak to Jennings age and contract. It could also just mean they saw a talent they didn't want to pass up.
That's true. I just think Jennings is probably safe for now, even though I'm not sure he's the preferred staring outside option at this stage in his career.
I'm surprised to see you say that you view the Vikings current receiving depth chart as a group of above-average options.
Why's that? Have I been overly critical? Let's be clear that I'm not viewing many of them as largely above-average. Perhaps my frame of reference with some of the other Vikings' squads over the years is altering my perception. I'm still thrilled we're not still trotting out the Greg Lewis' of the league as I mentioned before.
The only receiver in that group I might call above average is Jennings and I'm not sure he's much above average anymore either.
I suppose it depends on your definition. How about a group of #2-#3 receivers? Right now it really feels like a group in flux. It's one of the only positions that we have some decent depth, but depending on Jennings' decline and Patterson and CJ's evolution or if they take a step back it could easily become another position of weakness in 2015 regardless if they sign any rookies. Then again, it could also be one of strength if the abovementioned guys take a step forward. It will also help if Teddy improves along with the offensive line.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly