NFL Combine Matters for Zimmer and the Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

NFL Combine Matters for Zimmer and the Vikings

Post by dead_poet »

Good column by Hasan
The Vikings have had over 70 player transactions since Mike Zimmer and his staff joined the team, and in those 70 transactions some patterns point to clear indications that the Vikings value combine metrics. While it's true that any one of these sets of patterns could be a coincidence (after all, 70 total player transactions spread out across 11 positions groups is not a significant sample size), but the body of work implies that the combine carries a high degree of importance for a squad that trusts its coaching staff to develop the most out of its players.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2368 ... ta-vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: NFL Combine Matters for Zimmer and the Vikings

Post by dead_poet »

Semi-related. Someone posted this picture of Floyd and it made me laugh (combine scuttlebutt regarding his arm length at the time which may have contributed to his drop).

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:Semi-related. Someone posted this picture of Floyd and it made me laugh (combine scuttlebutt regarding his arm length at the time which may have contributed to his drop).
I still say the short arms stuff was nonsense. I saw Floyd play almost all of his Gator games and short arms never figured into the equation, in my view. The guy was always a beast - period!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Enjoyed the write up.

Re: LBs, I found the following interesting:
it seems as if the Vikings care less about weight and more about speed
Anthony Barr was the only linebacker acquired who pushed over 240 pounds (at 255), which is not an indication of preferring small players so much as sacrificing that weight for speed.
For Frosted, who is clamoring for Paul Dawson, a somewhat undersized but fast and explosive hitter with huge production at TCU, this should bode well.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:lol: at that doctored pic of Floyd.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Texas Vike wrote:Enjoyed the write up.

Re: LBs, I found the following interesting: For Frosted, who is clamoring for Paul Dawson, a somewhat undersized but fast and explosive hitter with huge production at TCU, this should bode well.
Woot woot! :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by frosted on Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

losperros wrote: I still say the short arms stuff was nonsense. I saw Floyd play almost all of his Gator games and short arms never figured into the equation, in my view. The guy was always a beast - period!
I agree. I never bought the "small hands" thing for QBs either.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

The measurable always get overstated this time of year. Yeah, if you can maximize a guy's athletic talents, you'll get a better player if you pick the better athlete. But some guys can play and some can't. I'll take the baller over the athlete every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

DK Sweets wrote:The measurable always get overstated this time of year. Yeah, if you can maximize a guy's athletic talents, you'll get a better player if you pick the better athlete. But some guys can play and some can't. I'll take the baller over the athlete every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Now there's some old school talk I can get on board with. +++
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

losperros wrote: I still say the short arms stuff was nonsense. I saw Floyd play almost all of his Gator games and short arms never figured into the equation, in my view. The guy was always a beast - period!

arm length is really only a major issue for LTs, beyond that position it's a very minor concern.