2015 NFL Combine Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: 2015 NFL Combine Thread

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

It is always awesome to see athletic ability at the Combine, but I, as well as others, have to remember how terribly overrated the combine is. At the end of the day, running in a straight line for under 6 seconds isn't going to do anything for you during a game of football.

I was a little surprised by Bednarick McKinnley's forty time. I didn't expect him to run close to a 4.6 flat like he did.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Wonder if anyone has ever broken down combine results and how they translate into NFL success? Do ANY of the drills actually mean anything?
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

So far, if there's one thing this combine has made me excited for, it's free agency! :lol:

If there's one guy that somewhat surprised me, though, it was Owamagbe Odighizuwa from UCLA. I didn't think his numbers would be quite that good. He struck me as a really aggressive bodybuilder without enough self-control to play with solid technique, though.

Vic Beasley would be a guy I'd get pretty excited about if the Vikes drafted him.

I wouldn't mind them drafting Phillip Dorsett later on if they do.
-Rus
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pseudo Everything wrote: 225
Wow, that is about what I weigh...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Demi wrote:Wonder if anyone has ever broken down combine results and how they translate into NFL success? Do ANY of the drills actually mean anything?
Really, the drills will not guarantee NFL success. What they are designed to do is to test athletic aptitude. In other words, some of it is plyometric exercises to measure power (the vertical and broad jump). Other tests measure explosion (the forty yard dash - specially the 10 yard split time of the forty). Some tests measure muscular endurance (the bench press).

Some coaches and teams love the Combine because they want the best athletes and they strongly believe in their coaching staff to help translate the athletic potential into football potential. Other teams hate the Combine and will not put much stock into it because they believe that observation and film study leads to finding the best players.

All in all, it would be inappropriate the say the Combine doesn't 'matter.' It does. However, at the same time, the Combine doesn't really mean anything either in a sense. The best strategy when it comes to the draft in my opinion is one that involves observation, film study, finding players that fit into one's philosophy, and then finding and drafting a good balance between athletes and football players.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

Alvin "Bud" Dupree OLB Kentucky

6'4
4.56 40
42 inch vert
11'6" Broad Jump

This might be our guy at 11. Dude is a FREAK.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

JD_Fiction wrote:Alvin "Bud" Dupree OLB Kentucky

6'4
4.56 40
42 inch vert
11'6" Broad Jump

This might be our guy at 11. Dude is a FREAK.
Those are insane numbers, especially for a guy that size. 11 is probably way too high, though. He didn't have tape that screamed "Top-15 pick."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rus wrote:Vic Beasley would be a guy I'd get pretty excited about if the Vikes drafted him.
He had a good combine. 1.59 10 yard split on his 4.53 forty, 35 bench press reps, 41" vertical and 10'10" broad jump. Projected to move to OLB (WILL or SAM, bumping down to edge rusher on third downs) in the NFL. He'll probably be drafted in the first round.
I wouldn't mind them drafting Phillip Dorsett later on if they do.
Probably a 2nd rounder, a poor man's Percy Harvin. He can move.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Demi wrote:Wonder if anyone has ever broken down combine results and how they translate into NFL success? Do ANY of the drills actually mean anything?
Yeah, somewhat. What I've found interesting is the "athletic web" some guys are putting together. Some drills are more of an indicator than others. Broad jump/vertical and 3-cone for edge rushers, for example.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think our other OLB should be much stronger in coverage, and I think Hodges could really grow into that role. Going for another pass rushing OLB seems to be overkill to me when we already have Barr.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

DKSweets wrote:I think our other OLB should be much stronger in coverage, and I think Hodges could really grow into that role. Going for another pass rushing OLB seems to be overkill to me when we already have Barr.

I agree. There's no ILB worthy of our round 1 pick, IMO. I really like Paul Dawson at our round 2 pick though.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Wow Trae Waynes is no joke :shock: He ran a 4.35 and a 4.32 at almost 6'1. That's crazy!! I've always said if we take a CB at 11, I want it to be Waynes. I want nothing to do with Peters. Rhodes and Waynes, along with Harrison Smith would be one nasty defensive backfield. Captain can't play outside and nobody wants to see Josh in that spot anymore. Don't be surprised if Zimmer decides to go this route.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I'm starting to get excited for Ronald Darby, myself. Jalen Collins is also an intriguing prospect.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

This our dilemma. We need a MLB. We need a guard. An upgrade at CB and WR is needed. Which position do we need the most? Can the Vikings fill all of those needs solely through the draft? I find that an arduous task but not unsurmountable. Be nice to pick up a player or two in FA and knock a home run in the draft.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CbusVikesFan wrote:This our dilemma. We need a MLB. We need a guard. An upgrade at CB and WR is needed. Which position do we need the most? Can the Vikings fill all of those needs solely through the draft? I find that an arduous task but not unsurmountable. Be nice to pick up a player or two in FA and knock a home run in the draft.
The biggest need is offensive line, but the dropoff at S and CB are pretty huge after the top guys. There isn't a MLB worth considering at 11.

If Waynes, Collins, or by some miracle Leonard Williams or Vic Beasley are there at 11 I think they'll take one of those guys. They can grab a good lineman in the 2nd and/or 3rd since its pretty deep. Of course, every other team will be thinking the same thing. Probably all 4 of those guys will go in the top 10.

Good news is top OL and WR prospects more likely to be there at 11.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins