If you could build a team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: If you could build a team

Post by S197 »

Anyone who takes Troy Williamson before me = insta-ban.
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Adrian Peterson
WR: Jerry Rice
WR: Randy Moss
TE: Gronk/Gonzalez
G: Larry Allen

LB: Lawrence Taylor
LB: Ray Lewis
S: Rod Woodson
S: Ed Reed
CB: Deion Sanders
CB: Darrelle Revis
DE: Strahan
DE: JJ Wat
DT: Warren Sapp
can't think of the others right now
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

QB:Randall Cunningham (Montana would be my best QB but Cunningham for his amazing rainbow touch pass to compliment Moss and scrambling ability is bonus)
RB:Barry Sanders (wear the defense out with side to side running and the deep ball This will set up dominance for north-south runner)
RB:The number 2 back HAS to be a north south runner based on how I am building the team. Candidates are Emmitt Smith, Jim Brown, Jerome Bettis and maybe Earl Campbell. To some extent OJ Simpson but he's more get around edge then north/south.
FB:I'd want the stats to find the highest short yardage conversion back in history. On 2nd and short I want to attempt deep ball and maybe 3rd and short. But 3rd and 4th and short I need to have a dependable conversion. Leroy Hoard was so damn consistent that he is in the discussion even though he is not nearly as talented as the others? John Kuhn for the same reason. Alstott and Bettis are far more talented overall but that may not make them the best at what I am trying to accomplish with them. If I was trying to save the roster spot and field the all time 53 man roster I get duel purpose back like Alstott or Bettis ... but if I want the best performing starting lineup I want the highest converting short yardage back and forget everything else.
WR:Younger Randy Moss (For the deep passes)
WR:Jerry Rice (go to WR)
WR:Lynn Swan (one of the besttracking the ball and adjusting mid flight and acrobatic catches). I feel Swan is more valuable with Cunningham's skillset.
WR:Cris Carter (Chain mover and sideline catches)
WR:Torry Holt (to be brought in to prevent the safety from keying on Moss)
TE: Gotta go Jimmy Graham here maybe Gates. I want that vertical threat to stretch the middle of the field.

Alternative offense
QB:Russel Wilson same effect as Barry in wearing out DL by scrambling. The thing I love best about Russel WIlson is his ability to alternate from a scrambling style to 3 step drop traditional QB / OR Fran Tarkington for similar reasons.
RB:Adrian Peterson/ Eric Dickerson /Bo Jackson /OJ (Home Run Threat here)
RB:Curtis Martin/ Corey Dillon (for some strange reason I feel a back in the C Martin/Corey Dillon mold as compliment to a home threat in a limited role would be a better match than a better overall back like Gale Sayers or Walter Payton.... I just feel it would bring more consistency to the offense and help you close out games late better than going for maximum talent, and more effective at wearing down the DL to set up the homerun).
FB:Alstott/Bettis Doubling up on bruising the defense to me seems more valuable than a few extra percentage points of conversions in this case. When you have Barry Sanders, you can't use him for that so you become more predictable and need the guy to convert. When you have everyone focusing on AP/Dickerson, I think you can spring a long run with Bettis or Alstott and wear down the defense which is more effective. I could argue Lorenzo Neal for blocking purposes.

WR:Jerry Rice - Go to WR.
WR:Michael Irvin /Keyshaun/T.O. - Press coverage beating run blocking strong WR.
WR:Cris Carter -go to guy on 3rd downs and extending the sideline.
WR:Randy Moss - Moss seems less valuable to me in this offense for whatever reason but there is still a major role for him in screen passes and to open things up underneath with a much less frequent deep ball off play action. I think this offense is built more to be a west coast offense with tons of short yards as oppose to a vertical offense where young moss is best. In this case I want a little bit older and wiser Moss when he was more developed but perhaps not quite as dangerous deep.
TE:Gonzalaz - I like Graham for vertical offense but Gronkowski or Gonzalaz here.
Don't have enough knowledge about offensive line but I love Korey Stringer personally.

Defense:
DT: Alan Page/Mean Joe Greene/John Randall/ Kevin Williams
NT:Warren Sapp backed up by Pat Williams. Gotta be a space eating run stopper who can still get to the QB.
Edge Rusher1:Lawrence Taylor/Decon Jones/Carl Eller
Edge Rusher2:Reggie White/Bruce Smith/JJ.Watt
Honorable mentions:Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, Jared Allen

LB:Junior Seau / Lavar Arrington
LB:Mike Singletary/Ray Lewis
LB:Takeo Spikes(I love Takeo Spikes when he was on the Bengals, don't think he was the same after the torn Achilles when on the Bills).

CB:Deon Sanders / Champ Bailey
CB:Richard Sherman /Derrell Green There is some other shut down CB that I can't think of and it is pissing me off.
NB:Antoine Winfield best Nickel CB ever. Can tackle like a LBer.
FS:Ronnie Lott
SS:John Lynch for hard hitting.
(Tempted to put in Paul Krause all time INT leader and Joey Browner for sure tackling... But with Shut down corners I don't think you need turnovers as much, you want sure tackling and safeties that can prevent yards after catch.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

QB Warren Moon /Arron Rodgers
RB Bo Jackson/ Barry Sanders
FB John Riggins,
Wide outs Randy Moss Calvin Johnson Chris Carter Jerry Rice Art Monk
TE Tony Gonalez, Shannon Sharpe
LT Johnan Ogden/ John Runyan
LG Larry Allen/ Steve Hutchinson
RT Willie Roaf/ Joe Thomas
RG Randle McDaniel/Kevin Gogan
C Jim Otto/ Matt Birk

3/4 defense

LE Reggie White, Bruce Smith
DT John Randle, Alan Page, Mean Joe Green
RE Chris Doleman, Deacon Jones
OLB Taylor(LT) Jack Ham, Bobby Bell Kevin Greene
ILB Seau, Dick Butkis Ray Lewis Iron Mike Singletary
CB Deion Sanders (god I hate him but he was great) Champ Baily/ Darrell Green/ Dick Night Train Lane Rod Woodson
S Ronnie Lott/ Steve Atwater/ Ed Reed

Kicker Gary Anderson
Punter Ray Guy
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!