Defenses under Zimmer: Year 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Defenses under Zimmer: Year 2

Post by dead_poet »

Reasons for optimism.
Zimmer helped turn the Cowboys and Bengals into top-5 defenses in his second season calling the shots. He served as the Cowboys defensive backs coach from 1995 to 1999, so some level of familiarity existed when he was promoted to DC in Dallas. By 2003, the Cowboys were giving up the fewest yards and second-fewest points in the league.

So what are the Vikings chances to follow in line?
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Year ... ects012915
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Defenses under Zimmer: Year 2

Post by DK Sweets »

I would say there's a pretty good chance we upgrade a few spots on our defense this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ranking went up. Particularly the run defense.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

DKSweets wrote:I would say there's a pretty good chance we upgrade a few spots on our defense this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ranking went up. Particularly the run defense.
I think repairing that MLB spot with a thumper will do wonders for the run defense
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

i'm zeroing in on three spots. mlb, corner opposite rhodes and left d end. if we upgrade those three spots this defense could be very good.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

If they could bring in a playmaking athletic middle linebacker it'd help a lot. No more of these stiff, slow, pass liabilities!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

If they could bring in a playmaking athletic middle linebacker it'd help a lot. No more of these stiff, slow, pass liabilities!
I agree I would be frustrated if we don't get a better MLB in free agency(which we probably can't afford)
or draft a guy in the first two picks(probably 1st).
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

jackal wrote: I agree I would be frustrated if we don't get a better MLB in free agency(which we probably can't afford)
or draft a guy in the first two picks(probably 1st).

And I agree with both you and Demi about this. The Vikings badly need a playmaking MLB that can play on every down.

Unfortunately, they aren't easy to find and/or afford. I don't think there is anyone presently on the team that can fill the role.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Currently I would our best linebacker group

Would be Barr Hodges and Cole IMO

Greenway I love and respect as a person, but his time is done... I hope his life is blessed
greatly, but I am hoping he retires this off season.

Round Two Erik Kendricks ILB UCLA (played with Barr and they know each other)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x24S4ce1h3s

Round Three: Karl Joseph*, S, West Virginia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90UFTx_gDLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPTFREp8mUA Dude crushes a wide out

WATCH THE SECOND SAFETY VIDEO... RONNIE LOTT TYPE HIT
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

jackal wrote:Currently I would our best linebacker group

Would be Barr Hodges and Cole IMO

Greenway I love and respect as a person, but his time is done... I hope his life is blessed
greatly, but I am hoping he retires this off season.

Round Two Erik Kendricks ILB UCLA (played with Barr and they know each other)
Kendricks is a darn good ILB. I've seen the kid play ball and there's no stop switch to him. Seems like he's part of every tackle.

I just wonder if he'll make to the Vikings in R2.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah I wondered that also
...seems to be gaining hype now...if he has a good
combine I would guess no
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I don't think there is anyone presently on the team that can fill the role.
I think we have a couple backups that could do a better job than Brinkley. And not be such a liability that they end up costing the team more than they help them.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think Audie Cole is a very nice role player, but he doesn't strike me as a strong run defender, which is where our problem lies. I'm not sure which other backups you think might be an upgrade. Mauti?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

DKSweets wrote:I think Audie Cole is a very nice role player, but he doesn't strike me as a strong run defender, which is where our problem lies. I'm not sure which other backups you think might be an upgrade. Mauti?
We had a bottom 5 rush defense *with* Brinkley. Sure he's a thumper, but his lack of sideline to sideline speed hurts our run defense as much as anything. And if we're worried about our defending the run, I'd worry about Robison more than anyone. Never seen someone get manhandled away from a play 1 on 1 as often as he does.

I'd take Cole or Mauti over Brinkley. A well timed play on a third down is going to make more of an impact on our rush defense numbers than any number of Brinkley taking on his blockers does....
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Demi wrote: We had a bottom 5 rush defense *with* Brinkley. Sure he's a thumper, but his lack of sideline to sideline speed hurts our run defense as much as anything. And if we're worried about our defending the run, I'd worry about Robison more than anyone. Never seen someone get manhandled away from a play 1 on 1 as often as he does.

I'd take Cole or Mauti over Brinkley. A well timed play on a third down is going to make more of an impact on our rush defense numbers than any number of Brinkley taking on his blockers does....
Make no mistake, I'm not a fan of Brinkley. There is a difference between being a hard hitter and a good run defender. The point I'm making is that while Cole would probably be an upgrade, I don't think it addresses our biggest weakness.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DKSweets wrote:Make no mistake, I'm not a fan of Brinkley. There is a difference between being a hard hitter and a good run defender. The point I'm making is that while Cole would probably be an upgrade, I don't think it addresses our biggest weakness.
Im not sold on Cole because he hasn't been on the field much. Idk if that is his fault or whatever but I would rather get a proven veteran there and see what this defense can do.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018