Ranking the top Vikings Free Agent Targets

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Ranking the top Vikings Free Agent Targets

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Man, I LOVE reading these articles, from a perspective completely different then mine. Things I never thought about. Anyways, thanks for the link DP. Hope a lot of people add their views. Even on players like Murray, which I just tossed aside before.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I started at 30 (I might go back later) but there seems to be good cases for Iupati (LG) and Spikes (MLB).
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

DKSweets wrote:I started at 30 (I might go back later) but there seems to be good cases for Iupati (LG) and Spikes (MLB).
Iupati is a BIG no for me. He's a good player and all but he's going to want big money and if we were to sign him, that would give him, Sully, Fusco, and Phil all monster contracts along with Kalil getting paid top 5 pick money. That is WAYYY too much money tied up in our offensive line. I would imagine they go offensive line in the draft. It's a much cheaper option and allows us to spend our money elsewhere.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I still have hope for Kalil. I think part of his problem was immaturity. A lot of us gave up on Phil, and he is a decent Tackle. Guard, yeah, we need a big named guard, but we also gain a guard, and if everyone stays healthy, we will have decent backup for the line. I am much more concerned with a good MLB (Spikes copmes to mind) and a WR (I am not sure how much longer the Vikes hold onto CP-maybe he is just showing immaturity too, reguardless we need a Cooper or Parker as the #1 priority).

But as far as this thread goes, and top FAs, Spikes and a guard. The one from Denver might work. But please, no big named RB in FA or draft. Lets see what we have in Mckinnon and Asiata, and pick up a cheap FA RB. Like the Pats did.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I still have hope for Kalil. I think part of his problem was immaturity. A lot of us gave up on Phil, and he is a decent Tackle. Guard, yeah, we need a big named guard, but we also gain a guard, and if everyone stays healthy, we will have decent backup for the line. I am much more concerned with a good MLB (Spikes copmes to mind) and a WR (I am not sure how much longer the Vikes hold onto CP-maybe he is just showing immaturity too, reguardless we need a Cooper or Parker as the #1 priority).

But as far as this thread goes, and top FAs, Spikes and a guard. The one from Denver might work. But please, no big named RB in FA or draft. Lets see what we have in Mckinnon and Asiata, and pick up a cheap FA RB. Like the Pats did.
i understand the reasoning behind not wanting Iupati, but I think he's a much better player than Franklin and I think investing a lot of money in the O-Line might be very wise with a young QB. I mean, think about how good that line could be with Iupati. If Kalil panned out, that would be Top-10 players at every spot and a lot of strength to run the ball. I'm not advocating dropping Peterson, but if it does happen, I could see why it would be okay to invest heavily in O-Line until our young position players gain more experience.

I salivate at the idea of Spikes, though. He might be a perfect fit for this defense and would help out biggest weakness (run defense) considerably.

I'll also say this: if we drop Peterson and sign Spikes, Iupati, and Cromartie, I think our team would be bursting at the seams with talent before the draft even starts.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

15-11 up
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Updated with 10-6
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Mike Iupati #1
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

saint33 wrote:Mike Iupati #1
I like him too but it will cost big bucks and he is a much better run blocker than a pass blocker. Either way it would be nice to sign him but no heartburn to me if they don't.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Iupati has struggled with Kaepernick as a pass blocker, but with Alex Smith he performed better. I wonder if having a more consistent pocket QB would make those concerns evaporate a bit?

Also, I really think having a high priced o-line might be intelligent until we have to start paying more money for Teddy. Assist his development in every way possible, including improving the run game to take more pressure off of him. I know I said that above and I'll try not to repeat myself (I know that gets annoying) but I'm really buying into that idea. By the time Teddy hits his big contract, a lot of money should be off he books.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Derrick Morgan would be an intriguing player to add. Of course, I would be lying if I didn't want both Everson Griffen and JPP on this team to wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

Realistically, I either see this team going for a few big names this year or signing just a few depth players. I don't see a happy-medium approach like we saw last year.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Derrick Morgan would be an intriguing player to add. Of course, I would be lying if I didn't want both Everson Griffen and JPP on this team to wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

Realistically, I either see this team going for a few big names this year or signing just a few depth players. I don't see a happy-medium approach like we saw last year.
Will Derrick Morgan bring Aaron Hotchner with?
:-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Updated with the last segment (5-1).
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

It is funny. I have always thought highly of Akeem Ayers. In fact, I thought very high of him and Zach Brown when they were both in Tennessee. I wonder if New England lets him walk?

Devin McCourty would be amazing. However, one has to believe that New England would rather sign McCourty than tie all their money into Darrell Revis instead.

I am not sold on Boling like most seem to be. Maybe it is because I didn't watch many Bengal games this year, but I know in seasons past he has struggled quite often.

Kareem Jackson has gone from a bust to a solid player. Definitely an option for us.

Brandon Graham was a beast at Michigan and it has been very curious how he has been used since Philly took him almost 5 years ago. I feel like Graham would be an upgrade for us and signing him would give us two young, above-average defensive ends.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.