Vikings offseason snapshots

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings offseason snapshots

Post by Mothman »

Matt Vensel of the Star Tribune is providing "snapshots" of each position on the Vikings roster. I'll post links to them here as I see new entries in the series.

Offseason snapshot: Quarterbacks

Offseason snapshot: Running Backs

Offseason snapshot: Wide Receivers

Offseason snapshot: Offensive Line

The quote below is from the WR snapshot. There's quite a bit more info at the link but here's his conclusion:
OFFSEASON LEVEL OF NEED: High. Jennings’ best days are behind him, and it’s unlikely he will get to the end of that big contract. It’s too early to give up on Patterson, but I also don’t think you can assume he is going to take a big leap forward. Likewise, I don’t think you can assume that Johnson is the real deal, though he certainly could end up having staying power. Look for the Vikings to use a draft pick — potentially one in the first couple days of the draft — to add another receiver for Bridgewater. And if, say, Larry Fitzgerald is cut by the Cardinals, count on his hometown team showing interest.
I don't disagree with most of that, although I don't know if I'd call the need "high". It's certainly not low but it doesn't seem urgent to me either... just another area of the team in need of more talent and an overall upgrade.

Vensel is pretty critical and dismissive of Jennings, taking him to task for his production without a single mention of the QBs. I don't think he's the player he was during his best years in GB but I think he's capable of being more productive than he's been the last few seasons with better, more consistent QB play.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings offseason snapshots

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Jennings had some really good QBs before he got to MN. That's why I think he was overpaid here. At the end of his carrier, with some average to below average QBs throwing him the ball the past few years. At least he has Teddy now. That's why I want Fitz so bad, would mean we would have to get rid of Jennings, and move Wright to the slot. That being said, I hope we don't do anything with him unless we get Cooper/Parker, or another great FA WR. Jennings is good, not a true #1 in my book.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I added a link to the o-line snapshot to the original post.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Fitz, Parker and Patterson (if he can get his stuff together) would be formidable. Oh hypotheticals.....
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Lol we are not getting Larry Fitzgerald.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for keeping up with this! I'm a slacker. :)