Question about Kyle Rudolph

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Question about Kyle Rudolph

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Was wondering what you guys think. Kyle has been a favorite of many Vikings since we signed him. I know I loved the pick, im a huge ND fan. But since he has become a Viking, he hasn't led up to the expectations I had of him. Good hands aernt worth much if the ball isn't thrown your way. And the sad thing is, I think Ford did as good of job as a receiving TE as Kyle has done for the Vikes.

My point is, is there a trade value for him? He is injured SO much, I don't think hes worth the money/cap space, or getting the reps as the #1 TE. I feel like the Vikes are always a day late when it comes to pursuing trades. Could get a nice RB or pick for him.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Question about Kyle Rudolph

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Is he signed to a long contract? I can't remember.
I agree the last few seasons he has been hurt as much as healthy. I like Chase Ford alot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is he signed to a long contract? I can't remember.
I agree the last few seasons he has been hurt as much as healthy. I like Chase Ford alot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's what I don't know. Or how they trade someone with a current contract. But the thought of Ford, for so much less cap hit, is something I hope the FO is thinking of. Ford did more then I think any Vikings fan thought he could.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

My guess is that he stays healthy next season and produces. I really have no idea. I'm attached to his skillset and potential and would be worried that his #s would explode the year we traded him away. Not sure what kind of GM i'd be.

You'd still have to find a backup to Ford which is a pick or FA that could be easily used on another position.

Either way, Rudolph is a guy I feel has more pressure than most next season to make a difference.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Was wondering what you guys think. Kyle has been a favorite of many Vikings since we signed him. I know I loved the pick, im a huge ND fan. But since he has become a Viking, he hasn't led up to the expectations I had of him. Good hands aernt worth much if the ball isn't thrown your way. And the sad thing is, I think Ford did as good of job as a receiving TE as Kyle has done for the Vikes.

My point is, is there a trade value for him? He is injured SO much, I don't think hes worth the money/cap space, or getting the reps as the #1 TE. I feel like the Vikes are always a day late when it comes to pursuing trades. Could get a nice RB or pick for him.

I doubt they'd get anything more valuable than what he already has to offer when healthy because the injury issues he's had have probably diminished his trade value. I don't think the Vikes have any interest in trading him anyway.

His contract could be an obstacle too:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi ... e-rudolph/
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote:
I doubt they'd get anything more valuable than what he already has to offer when healthy because the injury issues he's had have probably diminished his trade value. I don't think the Vikes have any interest in trading him anyway.

His contract could be an obstacle too:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi ... e-rudolph/
Thanks Jim. I had forgotten about that site. Pretty interesting.
Kyle is a huge cap hit for an injured TE. Hope he can get over them once and for all, and be a TE like he was in the pro bowl for Teddy.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

When healthy, he's a very good TE. We just need the guy to stay healthy for once. Trading him now is out of the question
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:When healthy, he's a very good TE. We just need the guy to stay healthy for once. Trading him now is out of the question
The problems is, he's rarely healthy. Which is why no other team would want to make a trade for him. I really like Kyle, but he is always hurt, or getting over it. Kinda like PH and Rice, made of glass. And I'm tired of us waiting to long to make trades. Seems like, other then the PH trade, we are at the wrong end of the stick.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

we just gave him a really big extension, as well.

Rudolf is great when healthy, but so far i think that has averaged about a three or four games a year.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I don't quite understand some of the logic on here at times. The second someone does bad or gets hurt, the solution is, LETS TRADE HIM. No!! The NFL doesn't just work like that. Notice how trades don't often happen in this league?? I mean my God. If every team just gave up on players so quick, there would be no NFL. The patience on here with some is so damn thin its not even funny.

-Robison had a bad year, trade him
-Patterson had a sophomore slump, trade him
-Peterson messes up 1 time in his career, trade him
-Rudolph is hurt, trade him
-Munnerlyn struggled his 1st year under a new scheme, trade him/cut him

Not only that but we have:
-Teddy throws some high balls, lets draft a QB this year
-Floyd didnt do much his rookie year, he's a bust
-Kalil has slumped, cut him/trade him
-Jennings is old yet our most reliable WR, cut him
-Wright does nothing, cut him and play Thielen
-Blanton has a rough beginning of the year, he sucks, bench him
-Joseph does nothing and has a bullet in his leg, cut him

....like seriously, what kind of logic is behind some of this crap that is brought up. First of all, if a player isn't playing the greatest, it doesnt mean they can't come around. Also, other teams notice this stuff. It's not like someone will turn around and say "hey, here is my entire draft for your injury prone TE". The league doesnt work like that. It never has. It's not the NBA. Worst part about it, if Spielman was to trade or cut any of these guys above and they went on to succeed somewhere else, there are a few on here that will be the first to call Spielman an idiot for doing it.

I feel like everyday I get on here, something starts up about making some ridiculous trade. The Percy Harvin trade was a great trade. He was battling with coaches, injury prone, wanted out, caused distraction, etc. Just because a guy is either hurt or has a rough stretch doesnt mean you just dump him in hopes of getting something great out of it. It doesnt work that way.....never has. Lets be realistic for once
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I don't quite understand some of the logic on here at times.
If all that bothers you (and believe me, it bothers me as well), wait until players get released during the ofseason. There will be a thread dedicated to each and every one of them. "Hey, I have heard this name before and he made one good play in his career!! Let's put him in purple, even though we have no need for him whatsoever!!"

I'm not sure if some people are just looking for attention, or if they are just trying to suggest something, so that on the extreme off chance it does happen, they can puff out their chest, or what is going on.
Just be glad none of the members of this board is the Vikings GM. You think they are a mess now...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I don't quite understand some of the logic on here at times. The second someone does bad or gets hurt, the solution is, LETS TRADE HIM. No!! The NFL doesn't just work like that. Notice how trades don't often happen in this league?? I mean my God. If every team just gave up on players so quick, there would be no NFL. The patience on here with some is so damn thin its not even funny.

-Robison had a bad year, trade him
-Patterson had a sophomore slump, trade him
-Peterson messes up 1 time in his career, trade him
-Rudolph is hurt, trade him
-Munnerlyn struggled his 1st year under a new scheme, trade him/cut him

Not only that but we have:
-Teddy throws some high balls, lets draft a QB this year
-Floyd didnt do much his rookie year, he's a bust
-Kalil has slumped, cut him/trade him
-Jennings is old yet our most reliable WR, cut him
-Wright does nothing, cut him and play Thielen
-Blanton has a rough beginning of the year, he sucks, bench him
-Joseph does nothing and has a bullet in his leg, cut him

....like seriously, what kind of logic is behind some of this crap that is brought up. First of all, if a player isn't playing the greatest, it doesnt mean they can't come around. Also, other teams notice this stuff. It's not like someone will turn around and say "hey, here is my entire draft for your injury prone TE". The league doesnt work like that. It never has. It's not the NBA. Worst part about it, if Spielman was to trade or cut any of these guys above and they went on to succeed somewhere else, there are a few on here that will be the first to call Spielman an idiot for doing it.

I feel like everyday I get on here, something starts up about making some ridiculous trade. The Percy Harvin trade was a great trade. He was battling with coaches, injury prone, wanted out, caused distraction, etc. Just because a guy is either hurt or has a rough stretch doesnt mean you just dump him in hopes of getting something great out of it. It doesnt work that way.....never has. Lets be realistic for once
Some of it probably gets posted just to get a rise out of someone but for the most part, it's just the nature of fandom. For every impatient fan who is eager to give up on a player too soon there's probably an overly patient fan or a fan with blinders on because they like a player, etc. We all have our less-than-logical moments on this board at times. It's the "fanatic" in fan at work.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: Some of it probably gets posted just to get a rise out of someone but for the most part, it's just the nature of fandom. For every impatient fan who is eager to give up on a player too soon there's probably an overly patient fan or a fan with blinders on because they like a player, etc. We all have our less-than-logical moments on this board at times. It's the "fanatic" in fan at work.
Yes I understand but there are some/one for sure, that questions every move the team makes, acts like it is their money being spent, constant comments about paying too much for this guy or that guy, saying he is too old, or he hasn't produced (as PHP stated and I agree). Then they flip flop around when players, GM, or coaches start suceeding. Lets hang AD, later let's keep him, Rhodes sucks, later what a great CB, Wright is a wasted roster spot, later he is pretty good, Kalil sucks let's cut him, , Floyd, another wasted draft pick, later he seems to be pretty good.
You are right Jim, it is all about being a fan but jeeeez some people go overboard about it IMO.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:Yes I understand but there are some/one for sure, that questions every move the team makes, acts like it is their money being spent, constant comments about paying too much for this guy or that guy, saying he is too old, or he hasn't produced (as PHP stated and I agree). Then they flip flop around when players, GM, or coaches start suceeding. Lets hang AD, later let's keep him, Rhodes sucks, later what a great CB, Wright is a wasted roster spot, later he is pretty good, Kalil sucks let's cut him, , Floyd, another wasted draft pick, later he seems to be pretty good.
You are right Jim, it is all about being a fan but jeeeez some people go overboard about it IMO.
If someone realizes they were wrong about a player and changes their mind when they see evidence that contradicts their earlier viewpoint, isn't that a good thing? :)

We all go overboard at times, in one way or another. As long as PurpleKoolAid isn't breaking the rules and/or deliberately trying to cause trouble, he can be as mercurial with his opinions about the team as he likes.

Please, everyone, you can refer to people by name, especially if you're obviously talking about them anyway. You just can't call them names.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Thanks Jim. I had forgotten about that site. Pretty interesting.
Kyle is a huge cap hit for an injured TE. Hope he can get over them once and for all, and be a TE like he was in the pro bowl for Teddy.
I hope so too. I remember being ready to give up on robert Smith because he couldn't stay healthy early in his career but then he managed to turn that around, stay on the field most of the time and have an excellent career as a Viking. Maybe Rudolph can do likewise.