What do you think AD would garner in a trade?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: What do you think AD would garner in a trade?

Post by dead_poet »

slapnut19 wrote:bottom line is peterson has to want to be here. if the most money and the chance to play with a young improving qb isn't enough then get what you can for him. i have no clue how a trade would work with his salary, but if we could get a young defensive player like a morris claiborne from dallas and a 3rd or 4th rounder i'd take that. just guessing though
Claiborne has been an injury-prone bust.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If anything keeps the Vikings from Peterson it'll be his salary. He's already stated he doesn't feel like he should have to take a pay cut.
His contract, the league’s biggest for a running back, is seemingly the biggest obstacle standing between him and a return to the Vikings in 2015. But Peterson doesn’t think he should need to take a pay cut.
“I don’t see why it would be the case,” Peterson said. “I see me being a better player than I was.”
http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... retirement

That would also be a reason I don't see the team getting anything for him in a trade.

Maybe he'd change is mind about the pay cut idea though.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

dead_poet wrote: Claiborne has been an injury-prone bust.

zimmer also has done well with "busts" over the years like pacman jones and terrance newman. also claiborne is a press corner who's been stuck in a cover 2 scheme. just throwing a name out there. it's not like we would be getting a premium player in return.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:If anything keeps the Vikings from Peterson it'll be his salary. He's already stated he doesn't feel like he should have to take a pay cut.
http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... retirement

That would also be a reason I don't see the team getting anything for him in a trade.

Maybe he'd change is mind about the pay cut idea though.

It's certainly possible. I wouldn't expect him to say he'd be happy to take a pay cut. That's not a good place to start a potential negotiation. ;)

I think you're right though: at this point, if there's stumbling block in keeping Peterson a Viking, it will probably be money.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

they could always do a "restructure" that allows the team to convert his salary into bonuses to lower his cap figure. that could be a hard sell though since it would be basically be rewarding a guy with more guaranteed money after being a distraction for a year.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

slapnut19 wrote:they could always do a "restructure" that allows the team to convert his salary into bonuses to lower his cap figure. that could be a hard sell though since it would be basically be rewarding a guy with more guaranteed money after being a distraction for a year.
The bonuses still count as cap hits, we can just spread bonus money throughout the length of the deal. It would in effect just be raising future cap numbers.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

DKSweets wrote: The bonuses still count as cap hits, we can just spread bonus money throughout the length of the deal. It would in effect just be raising future cap numbers.

i understand that. just pointing out it's a way to lower his 2015 figure. the idea that he is going to take some kind of pay cut is wishful thinking on my part. i'd rather see an outright release over doing what the pats are doing with brady.