Greenway's Contract

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MNSportsNut
Practice Squad

Greenway's Contract

Post by MNSportsNut »

I have noticed that on Vikings.com they are saying that this was Greenway's last year on his contract.
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... c78837fce4
Greenway wrapped up his ninth season, the final one of his contract.
but on two sites:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi ... -greenway/
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings/ - click on the 2015 tab
They both show up that he is under contract through next year :shock:
Can someone clear up my confusion?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Greenway's Contract

Post by Mothman »

He's signed through 2015.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_27 ... ext-season
He turns 32 next month and his contract could make Greenway a salary cap casualty this off-season.

Scheduled to earn $6.5 million this year, Greenway already agreed to restructure his contract, taking a $1 million pay cut in exchange for guaranteed salary.

Greenway is signed through 2015 but the Vikings reduced their risk in a deal that would count $1.7 million against next year's cap if they cut him -- or $8.8 million if general manager Rick Spielman retains him.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This is hardly groundbreaking, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ask Greenway to restructure his deal. He isn't playing at an $8.8MM level. He also has to know that if he thumbs his nose at the Vikings and hits the FA pool, he might make way less that whatever restructured deal the Vikings offer. My guess is he'll do something more team friendly and finish out in MN. That way he stays close to his family, doesn't have to move, and can enjoy the life he has built here.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
MichViking
Transition Player

Post by MichViking »

I hope greenway stays! He seems like a pretty smart guy and im sure he knows he is not the backer he once was. That being said, I want him to retire a viking and hopefully be on the team when this team finds success in the next 2-3 years even if hes just a back up! I think he can learn alot more from zimmer and maybe have a future with the team as a coach! Hell...they brought henderson back in some capacity, why not greenway! Viking for life!!
RIP Sean Taylor
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

He mentioned after taking the pay cut that he would consider walking away from the game this year if he didn't feel wanted; that his health was more important to clinging to the game (I'm going by memory, so if somebody has a link that would be ideal).

Honestly, I don't think he's worth more than about 3mil. He's a great guy, but we have other players that give more long term potential than he does.
MusicCityViking
Backup

Post by MusicCityViking »

He is a great leader and role model for this young team, but if he wants too much money, it just wouldn't be worth it to keep him around. In his older age, he just isn't producing the way he used to.

There are some great prospects at linebacker going into the draft, so if we were to draft a good one in an early round, he may (unfortunately) be of little use to us.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I just saw something in an interview; maybe the exit from the facility video, that leads me to believe Greenway wants to stay a viking
to the end, and will deal salary a little. Put it sounded like he wanted a starter spot, no matter what. I think Greenway is done no matter
what, if he only wants to start.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Hopefully they quit asking him to take pay cuts because he isn't earning his money, and just cut him. We can get just as much production out of a number of other young players that might be around longer and have a real future with the team. Time to build this team right and continue the youth movement! :smilevike:
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Demi wrote:Hopefully they quit asking him to take pay cuts because he isn't earning his money, and just cut him. We can get just as much production out of a number of other young players that might be around longer and have a real future with the team. Time to build this team right and continue the youth movement! :smilevike:
IMHO Cole played better against the Bears than Greenway has played all season. And Hodges just looks so much faster and hungrier than Greenway. It should be another interesting offseason!
MusicCityViking
Backup

VikingPaul73 wrote: IMHO Cole played better against the Bears than Greenway has played all season. And Hodges just looks so much faster and hungrier than Greenway. It should be another interesting offseason!
But Greenway brings leadership and experience to our young team. We could draft a linebacker to play alongside Greenway for one or two years, and then Greenway can retire a Viking. Without Greenway, all these young players on the defense wouldn't have many people to learn from. Thrat being said, if he wants an unreasonable amount of money, it would probably be a good idea to let him go and find a replacement via draft or free agency.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Without Greenway, all these young players on the defense wouldn't have many people to learn from.
There are people that are paid specifically for young players to learn from. And they don't have to worry about losing their job to them. Let the coaches teach them how to play and maybe along the way some of those younger players will also establish themselves as leaders!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I wonder if Greemway would be interested in coaching.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
MusicCityViking
Backup

Demi wrote: There are people that are paid specifically for young players to learn from. And they don't have to worry about losing their job to them. Let the coaches teach them how to play and maybe along the way some of those younger players will also establish themselves as leaders!

But it's nice to have players with leadership and experience that can come in and teach by example. You are right, there are leaders and teachers on the sideline, but what about the players in the huddle and on the field playing alongside the younger guys? Their way of teaching (by example & the way they play) can be valuable too, right?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I really respect Greenway... he is a classy, hardworking, Viking; plain and simple.

I would like him to limit his snaps a little, and really focus on Cole, Hodges, and Barr's skills.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Audie is already capable of replacing Chadway and if we keep Chad he should be a backup only , he simply has no pop left . All you get from Greenway are tackles way past the first down marker he just can't play with the explosion he needs to be effective .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock: