Zimmer wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform in 2015

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Zimmer wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform in 2015

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Asiata is a good complement to McKinnon, IMO. My bigger question mark is McKinnon (can he stay healthy, carry the team, etc).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
He injured himself in the weight room working out. Not football related and I see no reason why he would not come back 100%
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

saint33 wrote: I see no reason why adding a running back early in the draft or through free agency should be considered a mistake.
Because they have 3 running backs already. One of them has shown flashes of a human highlight reel and isn't exactly small. Height does not equal size. He's strong, very strong. He can be an every down back, i'm sure of it. I seriously hop adrian returns for another season so we can put all this stuff to rest. It's scary. My opinion is spend the cash on Maualuga , or attempt to. Get one of those wideouts with the first, CB or Safety with the second and Oline 3/4.

We dont know what the cap will be after cuts, etc.....but I do know this team does NOT need any running backs.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

People keep bringing up Maualuga because of the Cincy ties, but I think Brandon Spike would be a better pickup.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Boon wrote: Because they have 3 running backs already. One of them has shown flashes of a human highlight reel and isn't exactly small. Height does not equal size. He's strong, very strong. He can be an every down back, i'm sure of it. I seriously hop adrian returns for another season so we can put all this stuff to rest. It's scary. My opinion is spend the cash on Maualuga , or attempt to. Get one of those wideouts with the first, CB or Safety with the second and Oline 3/4.

We dont know what the cap will be after cuts, etc.....but I do know this team does NOT need any running backs.
I don't agree with that one bit. First of all, there is no tell McKinnon can carry the load. I like him, but I still can't envision him as an every down back. Also, do you realize that if McKinnon was to go down again we would be stuck with Mr. 3.5 YPC Matt Asiata. Once again we would have no running game and fans would be snapping because we didn't do a thing about it.

Going all in on McKinnon next year is like going all in without looking at your cards. This is the best RB class to come out in years. Guys like Gurley, Coleman, and Cobb would be great value in the early to middle rounds. Gordon is worth every bit of a first round pick IMO. Gordon and Coleman are my heavy favorites right now. Having a threat in the backfield should do nothing but help Teddy. Pair a guy like that with Davante Parker and you just grabbed two great offensive threats. That is what we need right. So yes, RB should be very much in consideration this year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Hartman: Lynch shows Vikings the benefit of a power runner
If the Vikings need any more reasons to bring Adrian Peterson back this fall, they need look no further than the Seattle Seahawks and Marshawn Lynch to see that having a strong running game will be key to turning the Vikings back into Super Bowl contenders.

For the Vikings to continue improving with Teddy Bridgewater at quarterback and with coach Mike Zimmer at the helm, there is no single player in the league who can keep that process moving better — and turn their offense into a real threat to win the NFC — than Peterson.
More at the link.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I agree. I hope the Vikings see it like this too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

DKSweets wrote:People keep bringing up Maualuga because of the Cincy ties, but I think Brandon Spike would be a better pickup.
I don't want either of them. Same type of LB we've had for years. Hopefully we get a smart, young, athletic linebacker who can stay with a tight end if necessary, and drop into zone without looking like a defensive tackle!
HIf the Vikings need any more reasons to bring Adrian Peterson back this fall, they need look no further than the Seattle Seahawks and Marshawn Lynch to see that having a strong running game will be key to turning the Vikings back into Super Bowl contenders.
Oooook Sid...
We've had the top running game in the league before. Where'd that get us? We had one year in the last decade that we were Super Bowl contenders, and that was with a solid defense, and a good QB. We've had Peterson and a strong running game for most of that decade and it got us no where.

We won 3 games when we had a top 5 rushing attack. You need a balanced offense. I don't think AD is necessary to have that. He'd help, but if the Seahawks show anything, it's that you don't need an elite once in a decade talent at HB. You can grab a guy in free agency, build a top 5 defense, get a solid QB, and be super bowl contenders. Look at who they're playing! A team with some solid backs, and a guy they signed as a free agent when we signed Ben Tate mid/late in the season.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Same type of LB's as we have had for years? If we had Spikes, we wouldn't even know Jasper Brinkley's name.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Same type of LB's as we have had for years? If we had Spikes, we wouldn't even know Jasper Brinkley's name.
Because he's a better version of Jasper Brinkley. Not because he's a top of the league pro bowl type player. That says more about Brinkley than Spikes. I'd rather have someone with more physical tools, and the potential to be an elite player. Not just an above average one!

Also interesting to note, Spikes was taken, along with Tony Moeki, with the two picks we traded to get Toby Gerhart. Both are playing in this super bowl.
Gerhart is a back up to an ex-Michigan QB in Jacksonville.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Did anyone listen to Greg Jennings' interview this last Thursday? It really sounds like almost everyone in the building wants Peterson back player wise. I can only wonder how much team morale would be affected if the team choice not to bring him back?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I don't agree with that one bit. First of all, there is no tell McKinnon can carry the load. I like him, but I still can't envision him as an every down back. Also, do you realize that if McKinnon was to go down again we would be stuck with Mr. 3.5 YPC Matt Asiata. Once again we would have no running game and fans would be snapping because we didn't do a thing about it.

Adrian is coming back. Vikings have to bring him back. He brings a fear to defenses and helps out a young qb. No need to burn a pick on a rb if you just bring AP back. Use that pick somewhere else.
Going all in on McKinnon next year is like going all in without looking at your cards. This is the best RB class to come out in years. Guys like Gurley, Coleman, and Cobb would be great value in the early to middle rounds. Gordon is worth every bit of a first round pick IMO. Gordon and Coleman are my heavy favorites right now. Having a threat in the backfield should do nothing but help Teddy. Pair a guy like that with Davante Parker and you just grabbed two great offensive threats. That is what we need right. So yes, RB should be very much in consideration this year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Did anyone listen to Greg Jennings' interview this last Thursday? It really sounds like almost everyone in the building wants Peterson back player wise. I can only wonder how much team morale would be affected if the team choice not to bring him back?
Good question. I didn't hear the interview but I saw some quotes from it. The Vikings players and coaches seem to be sending Peterson a loud, clear message that they would like him to return.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Good question. I didn't hear the interview but I saw some quotes from it. The Vikings players and coaches seem to be sending Peterson a loud, clear message that they would like him to return.
Jim, you should buy a bill board for AD like you did for Favre in 2010 :P
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Jim, you should buy a bill board for AD like you did for Favre in 2010 :P
:slice: