Zimmer wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform in 2015

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MusicCityViking
Backup

Zimmer wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform in 2015

Post by MusicCityViking »

Article by Caitlyn Holroyd:

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/669514
Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer reiterated his support for running back Adrian Peterson on Tuesday, telling reporters he plans to push the team to bring him back next season.

"Well, as I've said many, many times, Adrian was always great with me," Zimmer said during his season-ending news conference. "I think he's a good person. I think obviously he's a great running back and if it works out that way and things work out and he gets his life in order - that's the most important thing, he gets his life in order, he gets the opportunity to come back - then I will be in his corner whenever the decision is made."
Zimmer said he plans to meet with general manager Rick Spielman at some point to discuss Peterson as well.

"I haven't talked to Rick about a lot of these questions that you're asking yet because we just finished the season," he said. "But we'll sit down and (talk) about all of this stuff."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Zimmer wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform in 2015

Post by Mothman »

MusicCityViking, when quoting articles, please provide a link and please don't quote the entire article. We want to lead people to interesting content but we don't want to to just take content from other sites and post it here in it's entirety. Thanks. :)

I edited your post accordingly and provided a link.
MusicCityViking
Backup

Post by MusicCityViking »

Mothman wrote:MusicCityViking, when quoting articles, please provide a link and please don't quote the entire article. We want to lead people to interesting content but we don't want to to just take content from other sites and post it here in it's entirety. Thanks. :)

I edited your post accordingly and provided a link.
I apologize. I appreciate your help and will keep what you told me in mind.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MusicCityViking wrote:I apologize. I appreciate your help and will keep what you told me in mind.
Thanks. No need to apologize. You're new. :)
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

File this one under the obvious headline, "head football coach wants team's best player back on the field. In other news, the sky is still blue." :lol:

Unfortunately for us, the speculation about Adrian isn't ending any time soon. Looks like us fans will just have to gut it out until a decision is made.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:File this one under the obvious headline, "head football coach wants team's best player back on the field. In other news, the sky is still blue." :lol:

Unfortunately for us, the speculation about Adrian isn't ending any time soon. Looks like us fans will just have to gut it out until a decision is made.
Well, it is encouraging to me to hear Zimmer come out and flat say it rather than beating around the bush or something. I would love to see AD back next year, the team just isn't the same without him, just like when Moss was traded.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Well, it is encouraging to me to hear Zimmer come out and flat say it rather than beating around the bush or something. I would love to see AD back next year, the team just isn't the same without him, just like when Moss was traded.
Yeah, I don't think Zimmer's statement is really that obvious, especially given the controversial nature of what happened and the potential desire of the FO to move on. Anyways, thanks for posting the info.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

I really hate all the articles where they ask coaches, GMs, Other players what they want as far as other players. It puts them on the spot and most of the time they just say.. yeah, we want such and such player back. Because saying otherwise is pretty much a bridge burner. I can't remember how many articles I can remember last year where they asked Peterson what he wanted. He wanted Frazier, he didn't want a Rookie QB, he wanted this and that. Pretty much he didn't get any of his wishes. Im sure he didn't care in the end, as his suspension was definitely something he didn't want. But back to the statement. If Im Zimmer, and Peterson is still on our roster, Im sure as hell not going to throw fuel on some media fire by saying. "No, We don't even want him anymore" until they have all put their heads together and figured out what the plan moving forward is.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

KSViking wrote:I really hate all the articles where they ask coaches, GMs, Other players what they want as far as other players. It puts them on the spot and most of the time they just say.. yeah, we want such and such player back. Because saying otherwise is pretty much a bridge burner. I can't remember how many articles I can remember last year where they asked Peterson what he wanted. He wanted Frazier, he didn't want a Rookie QB, he wanted this and that. Pretty much he didn't get any of his wishes. Im sure he didn't care in the end, as his suspension was definitely something he didn't want. But back to the statement. If Im Zimmer, and Peterson is still on our roster, Im sure as hell not going to throw fuel on some media fire by saying. "No, We don't even want him anymore" until they have all put their heads together and figured out what the plan moving forward is.

I get that. But I also think there's more to it. He has more options than the two you're putting forward. He can also give a whole array of subtle, ambiguous answers that wouldn't really indicate what cards he's holding. Zimmer seems like a straight shooter to me, so I interpret his statement as a good indicator for potentially getting AD back on the field in purple.
Last edited by Texas Vike on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote:Zimmer seems like a straight shooter to me, so I interpret his statement as a good indicator for potentially getting AD back on the field in purple.
Same here. If Zimmer didn't mean it, he wouldn't come out and say it. His only agenda is getting the best RB around to play as a Viking.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: I get that. But I also think there's more to it. He has more options than the two you're putting forward. He can also give a whole array of subtle, ambiguous answers that wouldn't really indicate what cards he's holding. Zimmer seems like a straight shooter to me, so I interpret his statement as a good indicator for potentially getting AD back on the field in purple.
I'm looking at it the same way. One of the things I like best about Zimmer so far is that he really does seem like a straight shooter. I suspect his players like that about him too.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I know this is a little off topic but why do some fans want AD back only if he's willing to take a paycut?

I think the #1 goal or focus of this team going into 2015 should be to beat the teams in the North. With Peterson on this current team, I think they have a great chance in doing so . Look at Petersons stats from the last 2 years, he loves playing against the North, especially on the road.

If the Vikings release him, what if GB or DET picks him up? Can you imagine Rodgers and Peterson on the same team? Even Cutler and Peterson is scary to think about. The popular thought is how much a QB benefits with Peterson in the backfield but can you imagine how good Peterson would be being on a team with a great passing attack?

I say pay the man. Maybe have him restructure his last year on his contract if that's possible. If the Vikings could pay Allen $15M in 2013 and Favre $16.5M in 2010, I think Peterson at $15M in 2015 is a bargain.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:I know this is a little off topic but why do some fans want AD back only if he's willing to take a paycut?
I assume they just think it's too much to pay for an RB and they want the team to use some of that money to improve elsewhere. That's just a guess though...
I think the #1 goal or focus of this team going into 2015 should be to beat the teams in the North. With Peterson on this current team, I think they have a great chance in doing so . Look at Petersons stats from the last 2 years, he loves playing against the North, especially on the road.

If the Vikings release him, what if GB or DET picks him up? Can you imagine Rodgers and Peterson on the same team? Even Cutler and Peterson is scary to think about. The popular thought is how much a QB benefits with Peterson in the backfield but can you imagine how good Peterson would be being on a team with a great passing attack?

I say pay the man. Maybe have him restructure his last year on his contract if that's possible. If the Vikings could pay Allen $15M in 2013 and Favre $16.5M in 2010, I think Peterson at $15M in 2015 is a bargain.
I'm with you. Try to renegotiate the deal but if it doesn't work out, keep him anyway. They don't have a star QB they need to pay that kind of money right now so give it to the 2012 MVP, especially because his body was just spared a year of NFL wear and tear. If Bridgewater works out as well as some expect, a Super Bowl run in 2016 isn't out of the question and Peterson could easily have enough football left in him to help them get there. As you said, he has a good history within the division too. Maybe he can help them turn that 1-5 record in the NFC North in 2014 into a 5-1 or 6-0 mark next year.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

MusicCityViking wrote:Article by Caitlyn Holroyd:

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/669514
That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement too me it sounds like IF he changes his life ill support him being on the team but if he doesn't then maybe not so much , of course thats just my take on what I read .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: I assume they just think it's too much to pay for an RB and they want the team to use some of that money to improve elsewhere. That's just a guess though...
I'm with you. Try to renegotiate the deal but if it doesn't work out, keep him anyway. They don't have a star QB they need to pay that kind of money right now so give it to the 2012 MVP, especially because his body was just spared a year of NFL wear and tear. If Bridgewater works out as well as some expect, a Super Bowl run in 2016 isn't out of the question and Peterson could easily have enough football left in him to help them get there. As you said, he has a good history within the division too. Maybe he can help them turn that 1-5 record in the NFC North in 2014 into a 5-1 or 6-0 mark next year.
I've said it before, but I believe the only way the Vikings will retain AP is to pay his contract.

AP is likely to say, "Pay me or cut me." Hate to say it, but it's what I'd do. Think about it. If the Vikings cut him, he can go negotiate with any team he wants. He could go play for a contender like Dallas or New England. Or he can simply sign with the highest bidder, which is likely to be higher than what the Vikings would pay him in a restructured deal. Also, AP's own comments suggest that he's not as loyal to the Vikings as we would like him to be.

There's little doubt that AP can still play. So in the end, AP is going to do what's best for AP. I can't blame him for that.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.