Zimmer wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform in 2015

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Zimmer wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform in 2015

Post by Mothman »

dkoby wrote:I wish that were true. And for you and I it would be. But Goodell is still in control of this thing and it's really all about what AD does from now until April until he satisfies Goodell that he is remorseful. Butthead said as much.
I should have been more specific: I'm (admittedly loosely) including dealings with Goodell and the NFL as "about football" but you're right, that's in the way of any potentially productive discussion between the Vikes and Peterson.
Yes they are trying too hard to make AD an example. The timing on this thing couldn't have been worse, and you are right, it's been talked to death, but it really isn't over until the commish gets the last word and he is going to try to fix his own reputation at AD's expense. You can probably expect more unreasonable hurdles for AD to navigate.
Oh, I do. :( I just hope it all blows up in Goodell's face at some point.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:The Vikes may not need the no. 1 back in the NFL to win but they sure look like a team that needs more firepower and better production from their running game, something Peterson has proven more than capable of providing. As I posted elsewhere, the Vikes scored 14 points or less in 7 games this season, 20 or less in 9 games! This team doesn't need role-players. It needs impact players. That doesn't mean Peterson has to be on the roster but as Breeze said above, I want a guy with that kind of energy, drive and ability to finish playing on my team.
You're right on target. And as I posted elsewhere, the Vikings badly need more horsepower on the team, which is why I want Patterson to succeed and also why I'd be delighted to see Peterson back. As you said, the team is short on impact players. It showed last season, particularly in some games where the offense was downright anemic. For those like myself that want Bridgewater to develop into a franchise QB, well, big play guys around him will help make his job a lot easier.
Mothman wrote:The meeting was pretty obviously a set-up, at least in my view. The NFL requested it on short notice, created an unusual circumstance and when Peterson and/or the NFLPA decided it would be unwise not attend, the league wasted no time in getting the word out the next morning. They clearly wanted the world to know they tried but Peterson wouldn't play ball with them. The apparent lack of cooperation, despite the circumstances of the meeting being outside of what had been collectively bargained, was just the hammer Goodell wanted to pound Peterson like a nail and that's what he's done ever since.
The attempted meeting was an ambush and part of Goodell exploitation plan to stand on Peterson's head. Personally, I'd rather have a penitent AD back and Goodell gone from the NFL.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
The meeting was pretty obviously a set-up, at least in my view. The NFL requested it on short notice, created an unusual circumstance and when Peterson and/or the NFLPA decided it would be unwise not attend, the league wasted no time in getting the word out the next morning. They clearly wanted the world to know they tried but Peterson wouldn't play ball with them. The apparent lack of cooperation, despite the circumstances of the meeting being outside of what had been collectively bargained, was just the hammer Goodell wanted to pound Peterson like a nail and that's what he's done ever since.
I agree, and I suspect the meeting was set up in such a way that Peterson would have been damned if did and damned if he didn't. Goodell needed his PR stunt.

There are a lot of things that stink in this whole situation but Goodell has been the worst, and I can't bring myself to watch the NFL until he's gone.

I do disagree with the idea that this is just about football at this point. In fact, my interest in this issue at this point has 0 to do with football. I think its clearly about more than that, but I fully agree that this is not the forum to get into those details. Its just very disappointing to me how this has all been handled by everyone from front office to the press to the DA to the fans. Its been such a thoroughly cheap, dishonest, and twisted conversation and portrayal of the whole episode, with people trying to score points for their perspective instead of a sincere discourse about the legitimate issues at hand! And while I really like Mike Zimmer and a lot of the Vikings players, its become more and more difficult to be a fan of (a) the NFL (b)the Vikings organization and (c) many football fans in Minnesota as a result of all this. I fully acknowledge that other organizations would probably have been as cowardly in their handling, and many fan bases would have reacted as ethnocentrically and disingenuously too. Its just been a catalyzing event for me with regard to my relationship with football. Its got me considering being actively involved in coaching at the HS level and leaving "fanhood" behind all together.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I agree, and I suspect the meeting was set up in such a way that Peterson would have been damned if did and damned if he didn't. Goodell needed his PR stunt.

There are a lot of things that stink in this whole situation but Goodell has been the worst, and I can't bring myself to watch the NFL until he's gone.

I do disagree with the idea that this is just about football at this point.
That remark seems to have been interpreted much more literally than I intended it to to be taken. :)
In fact, my interest in this issue at this point has 0 to do with football. I think its clearly about more than that, but I fully agree that this is not the forum to get into those details. Its just very disappointing to me how this has all been handled by everyone from front office to the press to the DA to the fans. Its been such a thoroughly cheap, dishonest, and twisted conversation and portrayal of the whole episode, with people trying to score points for their perspective instead of a sincere discourse about the legitimate issues at hand! And while I really like Mike Zimmer and a lot of the Vikings players, its become more and more difficult to be a fan of (a) the NFL (b)the Vikings organization and (c) many football fans in Minnesota as a result of all this. I fully acknowledge that other organizations would probably have been as cowardly in their handling, and many fan bases would have reacted as ethnocentrically and disingenuously too. Its just been a catalyzing event for me with regard to my relationship with football. Its got me considering being actively involved in coaching at the HS level and leaving "fanhood" behind all together.
If you think you could do some good and be more satisfied, that sounds like it would be an admirable path to take.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

dkoby wrote:
I wish that were true. And for you and I it would be. But Goodell is still in control of this thing and it's really all about what AD does from now until April until he satisfies Goodell that he is remorseful.
This assumes that Goodell actually cares if he is remorseful or has learned his lesson or anything like that. The goal was to do whatever he could to make sure AD wasn't allowed to play last season and he succeeded at that. I doubt he really cares what happens at this point so I think Peterson will be reinstated.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Remember, Goodell also wanted AD to bring documents that he legally couldn't because they are sealed. I truly believe that even if AD had gone to the meeting Goodell would have found something to hold against AD.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Remember, Goodell also wanted AD to bring documents that he legally couldn't because they are sealed. I truly believe that even if AD had gone to the meeting Goodell would have found something to hold against AD.
Good point.

I just read a Strib article by Mark Craig, written before the playoff games over the weekend, that pertains to the topic of Peterson and the running game. Some of you might find it interesting:

Running backs take on new importance
Devalued and left for dead as the NFL transitioned into a passing league, running backs are muscling themselves back into the forefront of conversations as the NFL playoffs kick off with this weekend’s wild card round.

“We’ve gotten to a point where everyone thinks the running back position isn’t important,” Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner said. “But look at the good teams. Pittsburgh, Dallas, Seattle, some others. They got outstanding quarterback play, but they’re able to run the ball and they have a dominant runner.”
There's a lot more after that but the article ends with this:
Meanwhile, as Turner spoke about the value of the running back position, his attention shifted to a future in Minnesota that may or may not include the suspended Adrian Peterson, who will be 30 and carrying a $15.4 million salary cap figure in 2015.

“In my mind, I hope it includes Adrian because he’s one of the most unique guys I’ve ever been around,” Turner said. “But you have to have alternatives.“We won seven games. You look at the season and that number could have gone to 10 and it could have gone to four because of those close games. But I would think that if Adrian had played, that number would be closer to 10 than four.”
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Remember, Goodell also wanted AD to bring documents that he legally couldn't because they are sealed. I truly believe that even if AD had gone to the meeting Goodell would have found something to hold against AD.

I think you are right. It seems Adrian may have felt that way also choosing not to show up.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Great article, Jim.

Every time I hear that the running back position has no value, I cringe. Norv hit the nail on the head ... the really good teams have dominant running backs AND outstanding quarterback play. Much as I hate to say it, Eddie Lacy has put Green Bay into that category. Heck, even Denver has gotten away from the "Peyton is Everything" offense and started running the ball with authority. Baltimore isn't a team you think of these days with a dominant running back, but Justin Forsett ran for over 1,200 yards and changed the complexion of that team. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh, which thrived down the stretch because of LeVeon Bell and his 3 straight 200-yard games, lost to Baltimore when Bell was out with an injury. With the recently cut-by-the-Vikings Ben Tate as the featured running back, the Steelers had a terrible time moving the ball.

Jim, you've said it over and over ... it's all about balance. You just can't win championships without it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: Good point.

I just read a Strib article by Mark Craig, written before the playoff games over the weekend, that pertains to the topic of Peterson and the running game. Some of you might find it interesting:

Running backs take on new importance
There's a lot more after that but the article ends with this:
All the coach speak seems pretty transparent to me: the staff of the Vikings want him back in 2015. What remains to be seen is how management and ownership feels. Also, the political correctness factor still looms large. Sadly, this is going to be a long, drawn out process.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune concedes the Adrian Peterson era in Minnesota "may be over."

The potential breakup here is more about Peterson's contract than his legal issues. He turns 30 in March, carries a league-high for RBs $15.4M cap hit and has said he has no intention of taking a pay cut. The off-field complications only muddle the situation further. It's possible both sides are looking for a fresh start, which would make Jerick McKinnon the favorite to start Week 1 of 2015.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... ning-backs
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune concedes the Adrian Peterson era in Minnesota "may be over."

The potential breakup here is more about Peterson's contract than his legal issues. He turns 30 in March, carries a league-high for RBs $15.4M cap hit and has said he has no intention of taking a pay cut. The off-field complications only muddle the situation further. It's possible both sides are looking for a fresh start, which would make Jerick McKinnon the favorite to start Week 1 of 2015.
Noooooooo!

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

Thanks for the link, although I don't attach any real significance to it. We've been hearing that the Peterson era may be over for months. Heck, sportswriters started fretting about Peterson's age and contract situation last offseason, long before his legal troubles began, and I expect them to do it right up until the moment he either officially remains a Viking for 2015 or is officially cut/traded. Heck, even if the Vikings decide to keep him, we're going to continue hearing speculation about his future due to his age until he retires and his contract will remain a discussion point until it's been renegotiated.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I'm not buying it either....although that may be how it plays out.

Just sounds like off season speculation to me....nothing that hasn't been said many times now.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Truth is, we won't know anything until April. I am so sick of all this nonsense in the media. It must be fun to get paid to write pure speculation on a daily basis.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.