Cris Carter's son to visit Vikings on Jan. 9

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Cris Carter's son to visit Vikings on Jan. 9

Post by DK Sweets »

saint33 wrote:I don't want to look too deep into this, but apparently Duron Carter just started following Bridgewater and Charles Johnson on twitter
That doesn't seem to be looking to far into...unless he started following other players on the other teams, too.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

saint33 wrote:I don't want to look too deep into this, but apparently Duron Carter just started following Bridgewater and Charles Johnson on twitter
Nice catch. :rock:
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Raptorman wrote: He can't sign until Feb. 10th.
True, but I don't know if there's anything preventing him from reaching an agreement and announcing his intent before then.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

DKSweets wrote:That doesn't seem to be looking to far into...unless he started following other players on the other teams, too.

Those are the only two nfl Players he's followed recently as far as I can see. He also started following Randy Moss recently.

Also a couple posts he's retweeted a few tweets from fans hoping him to sign with the Vikings (one fan offered to let Carter punch him in the face if he signs with Minnesota), as well as a tweet from Jake Reed hoping he signs with us, and a tweet from his dad saying that Jake Reed and Randy Moss want him to sign with the Vikings.

Then again he seems to retweet a lot of stuff about himself, both positive and negative, including an article suggesting the colts are the favorites to land him, a fan offering to let him kick him in the groin if he signs with the colts, an article from an "expert" suggesting Carter is all hype, etc. etc.

Basically, as I said before, I wouldn't read too deeply into this stuff, a lot of mixed messages if you're going by his twitter account. Maybe he just met Teddy and Charles when he was on his visit with the Vikings. :confused: Hopefully there's more to it than that though
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Punches in the face and kicks to the groin? :confused:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote:Punches in the face and kicks to the groin? :confused:
Yeah, whatever happened to cookies and ice cream? or a bottle of scotch?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Huh. Ok.

Duron Carter - WR - Free Agent

The Indianapolis Star reports free agent WR Duron Carter is already free to sign with any team.

It was previously believed Carter couldn't sign before Feb. 10. The Indianapolis Star has tabbed the Colts as the "frontrunner" for Cris' son, but reports the Vikings remain in the mix. Despite all the hype surrounding his free agency, Carter would be far from a guarantee to crack anyone's 53-man roster.
Source: Indianapolis Star
http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-ins ... /22423319/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Schefter is reporting he is close to signing with the Colts. I wonder why he wouldn't sign here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Schefter is reporting he is close to signing with the Colts. I wonder why he wouldn't sign here.
$$, playing time & Luck
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sounds like it's a done deal with Indy. Too bad. Will be fun to watch his career (if he sticks on the 53).
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Despite all the hype surrounding his free agency, Carter would be far from a guarantee to crack anyone's 53-man roster.
I heard he's half man, half amazing.
Schefter is reporting he is close to signing with the Colts. I wonder why he wouldn't sign here.
Sign with a top 10 organization, or a bottom 10 organization? One with a bottom of the league passing offense, the other with a top of the league passing offense?

If you're free to sign anywhere, why would a player sign with the Vikings instead of the Colts? Money, doubt it's an issue here. And playing time. Colts aren't exactly stacked at receiver. Almost every other non-dad related reason points to the Colts.

Better question would be why he *would* sign here over the Colts...
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Indy with a good coaching staff and Luck, not too mention big reciever needs, would be tuff to beat.

time will tell
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: I heard he's half man, half amazing.
Sign with a top 10 organization, or a bottom 10 organization? One with a bottom of the league passing offense, the other with a top of the league passing offense?

If you're free to sign anywhere, why would a player sign with the Vikings instead of the Colts? Money, doubt it's an issue here. And playing time. Colts aren't exactly stacked at receiver. Almost every other non-dad related reason points to the Colts.

Better question would be why he *would* sign here over the Colts...
I wouldn't call us a bottom 10 organization. We're definitely an organization on the rise. I think it's more about with our organization, he would have to wait a few year. With indy, they're already a contender. I doubt he sat there and looked at how our passing offense was statistically last year. Anyone can tell you that Teddy is an up and coming young QB. It's not like he was walking into some no-name QB. He also probably would've had a better chance seeing the field with us rather than Indy. That was why I questioned why he chose Indy. My guess is, it had to do with money and that they are currently contending. Who knows....we might not have even made him an offer.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I think it's more about with our organization, he would have to wait a few year.
So he could join an organization on the top. That is likely to stay on the top and has for the last couple decades. Or one that's "on the rise". There's no guarantee the Vikings will continue to rise. He could end up coming here for a future that never arrives.

Everything you're listing is potential. There are plenty of cases of a team not fulfilling that potential, including this organization.

And if he doesn't sign here, despite the interest, we just didn't make him an offer? Come on..."It's not us, it's him?". It's about joining a successful organization vs. a not very successful organization.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: So he could join an organization on the top. That is likely to stay on the top and has for the last couple decades. Or one that's "on the rise". There's no guarantee the Vikings will continue to rise. He could end up coming here for a future that never arrives.

Everything you're listing is potential. There are plenty of cases of a team not fulfilling that potential, including this organization.

And if he doesn't sign here, despite the interest, we just didn't make him an offer? Come on..."It's not us, it's him?". It's about joining a successful organization vs. a not very successful organization.
Botton line is, you have no clue what went on behind the scenes. It was said that he was interested in us but how much interest did we actually have? You have no idea. You're acting like we offered him some big contract and he snubbed us because the colts were better. There wasn't a single report out there that we even offered him a dime.

Also, you say there is no guarantee with us but where is the guarantee with Indy?? No running game, and average WR core, a shady defense, etc. Just because they have Luck doesn't mean he's going to take them to the promised land every year. There are no guarantees in this league.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri