Cris Carter's son to visit Vikings on Jan. 9

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Cris Carter's son to visit Vikings on Jan. 9

Post by losperros »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I think signing Carter would be a great low risk high reward signing. I mean this kid stands at 6'5 205 and just put up pretty solid numbers in the CFL. It's not going to cost us a whole lot so I think he's a must sign IMO.

I agree. Why not take the chance? The Vikings need to get better at the WR positions and maybe he can help.

If the kid doesn't show he has what it takes, then he doesn't make the final cut.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

He's visiting the Colts today. I think he'll go to wherever offers him the most guaranteed money. How much would you be willing to spend on him?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Crax wrote:He's visiting the Colts today. I think he'll go to wherever offers him the most guaranteed money. How much would you be willing to spend on him?
Ardenn
Backup

Post by Ardenn »

losperros wrote:
I agree. Why not take the chance? The Vikings need to get better at the WR positions and maybe he can help.

If the kid doesn't show he has what it takes, then he doesn't make the final cut.
Who do you want to give up for him, Thielen or Wright?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Ardenn wrote:Who do you want to give up for him, Thielen or Wright?
I think Wright would be the clear keeper if it came down to that. He's has proven his value as a playmaker again and again. However, they don't have to just "give up" anybody to sign Carter. They can sign him, let the WRs compete and keep the best 5 or 6 depending on how they want to configure their roster.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Ardenn wrote: Who do you want to give up for him, Thielen or Wright?
They aren't going to just dump somebody in hopes of Carter being good. They will let him come in and compete. However, if anyone goes, it's Thielen IMO. Outside of the 1 TD catch he had week 17, he hasn't really showed much of anything. He's a ok special teamer but from a WR standpoint, we wouldnt hurt us if we let him go
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Ardenn wrote: Who do you want to give up for him, Thielen or Wright?
Neither. I don't believe that's a must do. But if I had to choose, probably Thielen. Only if he couldn't beat out Carter though, because Thielen has proven to be of some worth..

As for Wright, it would be insane to give him up for any reason. The guy has been productive and explosive.

Obviously, if Carter gets signed, then all the WRs should be there for camp and compete with each other.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I don't know how realistic it is for the Vikes to get Carter unless/maybe they offer him more money than anyone else does which doesn't seem likely to me.

He's going to get offers. Indy would be a great situation for him.

Who knows what factors weigh heaviest for him? I would assume the best opportunity to be a starter.

Would be great to have him in Purple and be productive....
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: I think Wright would be the clear keeper if it came down to that. He's has proven his value as a playmaker again and again. However, they don't have to just "give up" anybody to sign Carter. They can sign him, let the WRs compete and keep the best 5 or 6 depending on how they want to configure their roster.
I don't think either would have to leave. The Vikings are carrying two Fullbacks right now. One which is going to void he contract. If Peterson leaves, do they really need Zach Line and Felton? Just a thought.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:I don't think either would have to leave. The Vikings are carrying two Fullbacks right now. One which is going to void he contract. If Peterson leaves, do they really need Zach Line and Felton? Just a thought.
I see your point. Felton will be gone anyway. He intends to opt out of his contract. However, they still might not want to spend 6 roster spots on the WR position. As I said earlier, it will just depend on how they want to configure their roster...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:I don't know how realistic it is for the Vikes to get Carter unless/maybe they offer him more money than anyone else does which doesn't seem likely to me.

He's going to get offers. Indy would be a great situation for him.

Who knows what factors weigh heaviest for him? I would assume the best opportunity to be a starter.

Would be great to have him in Purple and be productive....
That's a good point about playing time. As weird as it is to say, his path to start here in the short-term is pretty cloudy with Charles Johnson and Greg Jennings seemingly established as #1 and #2 and Patterson trying to wrestle one of those away. He could emerge as a starter, but could also be #4 or so on the depth chart. He'd likely have a much clearer path to playing time elsewhere. I don't think the Vikings would offer him the most money based on his dad. He'd have to probably take less money to be in Purple, with not quite as clear a path for playing time. I think it's a long shot he ends up here.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote: That's a good point about playing time. As weird as it is to say, his path to start here in the short-term is pretty cloudy with Charles Johnson and Greg Jennings seemingly established as #1 and #2 and Patterson trying to wrestle one of those away. He could emerge as a starter, but could also be #4 or so on the depth chart. He'd likely have a much clearer path to playing time elsewhere. I don't think the Vikings would offer him the most money based on his dad. He'd have to probably take less money to be in Purple, with not quite as clear a path for playing time. I think it's a long shot he ends up here.
Yeah, the depth chart is really funky due to Patterson kinda being dead weight at the moment.

Carter probably has the skills to beat out Johnson IMO....but I'd wager he'd have to do it convincingly in camp to get playing time.

I'd guess it would be largely Turner's call in any event. If he comes in and wows truner the way TB did, then I could see it.

I don't have links, but a couple of articles I read earlier this year had quotes from other players saying Duron has regularly displayed abilities like Megatron and Fitz and a natural understanding for the position.

bad timing for the Vikes, perhaps?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:That's a good point about playing time. As weird as it is to say, his path to start here in the short-term is pretty cloudy with Charles Johnson and Greg Jennings seemingly established as #1 and #2 and Patterson trying to wrestle one of those away. He could emerge as a starter, but could also be #4 or so on the depth chart. He'd likely have a much clearer path to playing time elsewhere. I don't think the Vikings would offer him the most money based on his dad. He'd have to probably take less money to be in Purple, with not quite as clear a path for playing time. I think it's a long shot he ends up here.
Honestly, I think the Vikes probably represent a solid opportunity for him to earn starting position. Their one steady starter will be 32 next season and the other starting position is likely up for grabs. Patterson couldn't hold it and I don't think Johnson did nearly enough to firmly entrench himself as the second starter going into next season. I could easily see another player seizing that spot. Carter would have to earn playing time but that would probably be true anywhere.

The Vikes can't offer Carter the opportunity to catch passes from Luck though.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:Carter probably has the skills to beat out Johnson IMO....but I'd wager he'd have to do it convincingly in camp to get playing time.

I'd guess it would be largely Turner's call in any event. If he comes in and wows truner the way TB did, then I could see it.

I don't have links, but a couple of articles I read earlier this year had quotes from other players saying Duron has regularly displayed abilities like Megatron and Fitz and a natural understanding for the position.

bad timing for the Vikes, perhaps?
2013-2014 highlight package: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnNhB5AUtQ

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him here. At the very least he'd add presumably solid depth and it'd be a fun story (though you wonder if he wants that kind of pressure/attention to be constantly compared to his dad here), but for all the attention he's garnering I can't imagine we'd be the highest bidder or offer a clear path to playing time. He could probably walk on and be the Chiefs #2, for example.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Plus the Colts are a playoff team and likely will replace Reggie Wayne ASAP.