Final Rankings and Stats

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Final Rankings and Stats

Post by Mothman »

The 2014 Vikings finished #14 overall in yards allowed and #11 in points allowed.

They were 7th against the pass and 25th against the run.

The Vikings finished #27 overall in yards gained and #20 in points scored.

They were 28th in passing and 14th in rushing.

---------

Please feel encouraged to post additional final stats for the team or specific players in this thread. :)
frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: Final Rankings and Stats

Post by frosted »

One I meant to highlight in my thread this last week:

The 2014 Vikings only lost 2 fumbles, best in the league. New England was 2nd with 4, San Diego, Arizona, and Denver only had 5, Green Bay, Seattle, and Cleveland each had 7.

I think I said it in the game thread this week - Teddy's ball security is really good! He rarely loses the ball when he's hit from the blindside, and there were a lot of chances for him to do so!

Good job Vikings.

Then, we only recovered 6 opponent fumbles. So we only went +4 on that, when we potentailly could have reaped much more benefit from it. Something to watch next year.

Some of it is dumb luck, no doubt.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Finished with a -1 turnover ratio and we finished with six defensive touchdowns.

Some individual player stats of note:

Teddy = 64.4% completion rate, 14 TDs to 12 INTs, 2919 yards, 85.2 rating.

McKinnon = 538 rushing yards, 135 receiving yards in only six starts.

Asiata = 10 total TDs

Greg = 742 receiving yards and six TDs (team leader in receiving).

Patterson = 33 catches for 384 yards and a two total TDs (ouch).

Everson = 12 sacks

Tom Johnson = 6.5 sacks

Harrison = 5 INTs, 3 sacks, 1FF, 93 solo tackles, 1 TD = no Pro Bowl? DAF.

Blair Walsh = 74.3% FG rate :(
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

frosted wrote:One I meant to highlight in my thread this last week:

The 2014 Vikings only lost 2 fumbles, best in the league. New England was 2nd with 4, San Diego, Arizona, and Denver only had 5, Green Bay, Seattle, and Cleveland each had 7.

I think I said it in the game thread this week - Teddy's ball security is really good! He rarely loses the ball when he's hit from the blindside, and there were a lot of chances for him to do so!

Good job Vikings.

Then, we only recovered 6 opponent fumbles. So we only went +4 on that, when we potentailly could have reaped much more benefit from it. Something to watch next year.

Some of it is dumb luck, no doubt.
That is an awesome stat!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The defense against the run is a troubling stat. I place a lot of the blame on the linebackers. But this needs to be addressed. I don't like watching teams run right over the top of us.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I wonder how many of those rushing yards came after Barr started having Knee issues? Would be an interesting thing to look at.

The turnaround in pass defense is nothing short of Amazing. Babyface's stat line is impressive. 4000 yards in 2015? Anyone?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:I wonder how many of those rushing yards came after Barr started having Knee issues? Would be an interesting thing to look at.
It'd be interesting but I don't think it necessarily suffered all that much. I seemed to notice Barr much more in pass defense (screens) and pass rushing than I did in run support.
The turnaround in pass defense is nothing short of Amazing. Babyface's stat line is impressive. 4000 yards in 2015? Anyone?
That'd be quite an accomplishment. I'd be incredibly surprised if that happened. They need to shore up the offensive line and someone at receiver needs to step up and they all need to stop watching Troy Williamson film. There were far too many drops this season.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Vikings gave up 124.8 ypg rushing prior to Barr going on IR.

They gave up 114.3 ypg rushing after.

Interesting to note that the Vikings gave up their two worst rushing totals (178 against the Panthers and 168 against the Jets) in the game in which Barr was injured, and the game immediately following. However, they also won both games.

They gave up 123.9 rushing yards in losses, and 118.2 in wins.

I don't know exactly what it all means, but it's interesting.

Something else that's interesting. The Vikings gave up at least 150 yards on the ground in five games. Those are big totals. However, in those same games, they gave up just 185 ypg through the air. Seattle led the league giving up 185.6 ypg passing. It's almost the opposite of the years where we were far and away the top rushing defense, so teams passed a lot and we gave up a ton of passing yards. Not exactly the same, but there's a parallel. I think some teams found it easier to run than to pass against us, so they did. That may mean our rush defense isn't quite as bad as it seems, but our pass defense isn't quite as good.

The overall trend, however, can't be disputed. We gave up about 9 fewer ppg than in 2013, which was the top improvement in the NFL. If we can make some improvements against the run, and get even marginally better on offense, we can contend for a playoff spot.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Finished with a -1 turnover ratio and we finished with six defensive touchdowns.
Hmmm, no offense but that doesn't sound right. Hodges had one against the Jets. Barr scooped a fumble and ran for a TD in OT against Tampa Bay. Smith had a pick 6 against the Rams... what were the other 3?
Blair Walsh = 74.3% FG rate :(
That was a bummer but 4 his misses were from 50+ yards out and one was from 68 so it's not quite as disappointing as it looks. Still, let's hope he has a better season in 2015.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:The Vikings gave up 124.8 ypg rushing prior to Barr going on IR.

Interesting to note that the Vikings gave up their two worst rushing totals (178 against the Panthers and 168 against the Jets) in the game in which Barr was injured, and the game immediately following. However, they also won both games.

They gave up 123.9 rushing yards in losses, and 118.2 in wins.

I don't know exactly what it all means, but it's interesting.

Something else that's interesting. The Vikings gave up at least 150 yards on the ground in five games. Those are big totals. However, in those same games, they gave up just 185 ypg through the air. Seattle led the league giving up 185.6 ypg passing. It's almost the opposite of the years where we were far and away the top rushing defense, so teams passed a lot and we gave up a ton of passing yards. Not exactly the same, but there's a parallel. I think some teams found it easier to run than to pass against us, so they did. That may mean our rush defense isn't quite as bad as it seems, but our pass defense isn't quite as good.
Interesting observation. I've thought about the parallel you mentioned too.

Great stats, guys! Please keep 'em comin'...
ranskal
Transition Player

Post by ranskal »

Mothman wrote: Hmmm, no offense but that doesn't sound right. Hodges had one against the Jets. Barr scooped a fumble and ran for a TD in OT against Tampa Bay. Smith had a pick 6 against the Rams... what were the other 3?
That was a bummer but 4 his misses were from 50+ yards out and one was from 68 so it's not quite as disappointing as it looks. Still, let's hope he has a better season in 2015.
They must be counting the 2 blocked punts for TDs against Carolina...the third could be the Felton fumble recovery in the endzone??
Randy
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleMustReign wrote: That is an awesome stat!
I agree. It's great to see that kind of ball security. I hope the Vikings offense can retain that.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

ranskal wrote: They must be counting the 2 blocked punts for TDs against Carolina...the third could be the Felton fumble recovery in the endzone??
Thanks, I'll bet you're right, although it would be very weird for the Felton recovery to count as anything other than an offensive TD. It happened on a pass, didn't it?
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:The Vikings gave up 124.8 ypg rushing prior to Barr going on IR.

I've been thinking a lot about Barr lately and I find it interesting just how important he became to the D in such a short time. Give this guy some more experience and get him healthy again, and the Vikings will have a stud LB. Of course, they still need some more big play LBs but it's great to see that Barr is working out.
J. Kapp 11 wrote:Something else that's interesting. The Vikings gave up at least 150 yards on the ground in five games. Those are big totals. However, in those same games, they gave up just 185 ypg through the air. Seattle led the league giving up 185.6 ypg passing. It's almost the opposite of the years where we were far and away the top rushing defense, so teams passed a lot and we gave up a ton of passing yards. Not exactly the same, but there's a parallel. I think some teams found it easier to run than to pass against us, so they did. That may mean our rush defense isn't quite as bad as it seems, but our pass defense isn't quite as good.

The overall trend, however, can't be disputed. We gave up about 9 fewer ppg than in 2013, which was the top improvement in the NFL. If we can make some improvements against the run, and get even marginally better on offense, we can contend for a playoff spot.
Interesting stuff. I think it definitely means that there is more to the yardage stats than meets the eye.

The Vikings are playing more aggressively on defense these days, which means they need quick guys in spots where they may not have them now. Quick athletically but also guys that can read and react fast.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:Thanks, I'll bet you're right, although it would be very weird for the Felton recovery to count as anything other than an offensive TD. It happened on a pass, didn't it?
I bet they are calling it "Recovery TDs", not "defensive TDs".
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018