Greg Jennings takes Cordarrelle Patterson under wing

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Greg Jennings takes Cordarrelle Patterson under wing

Post by losperros »

VikingPaul73 wrote:These are some good points. But I wonder if this had anything to do with wanting Teddy to develop the "right" way??
If you're trying to groom the QB of the future, as a pocket passer, I think you want to focus on running an offense that plays to his strengths and his development. Should the focus be on developing Bridgewater to be able to read defenses, understand where his receivers should be on hot routes, etc? Or should the focus be on developing a WR with an unorthodox style, gadget plays, etc.?
Interesting point. The focus should be to build the team around the QB, in my view. So Bridgewater comes first.

Hopefully, Patterson will develop during the off-season in a way that fits the offense with TB behind center, without taking too much away from Patterson's unorthodox style. No matter what, Patterson's role is always going to be that of a big play guy.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote: :lol: Are you trying to make me bite right through my tongue? I just had to stifle about a dozen sarcastic remarks at once!
sorry, Jim, I tried to resist but couldn't help it!! :D
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote:These are some good points. But I wonder if this had anything to do with wanting Teddy to develop the "right" way??
If you're trying to groom the QB of the future, as a pocket passer, I think you want to focus on running an offense that plays to his strengths and his development. Should the focus be on developing Bridgewater to be able to read defenses, understand where his receivers should be on hot routes, etc? Or should the focus be on developing a WR with an unorthodox style, gadget plays, etc.?
Thanks and I see your point but I don't think they're mutually exclusive goals. However, if Patterson was so inept that he couldn't be where he was supposed to be the majority of the time, that would be a hindrance to TB's development.

I guess we need more information. :(
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_27 ... -patterson
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer has assigned a confidant mentor to Cordarrelle Patterson, hoping to rejuvenate the wide receiver's career following a regressive 2014 season.

When asked whether it was a coach, former player or life coach, Zimmer said, "Kind of all three," but declined to identify the person assigned to help the 2013 first-round draft pick.

"Cordarrelle, he's a really good kid. He's very respectful in everything he does," Zimmer said. "It's not really about life, although I'm sure this guy will teach him some about life, too. It's more about playing, being a receiver."
MusicCityViking
Backup

Post by MusicCityViking »

Thanks for sharing. It's great to see that Zimmer really cares about Patterson's success. One thing I would hate to see is wasted talent. I think having a mentor and someone that will teach him about being a quality reciever is exactly the kind of thing CP needs. I hope to hear updates on his progress! :thumbsup:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Yes I heard this when I watched his press conference the other day. My guess is, it's Cris Carter but who knows. Between this anonymous person and Greg Jennings helping him, I think he definitely has a good shot of turning the corner next year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Yes I heard this when I watched his press conference the other day. My guess is, it's Cris Carter but who knows. Between this anonymous person and Greg Jennings helping him, I think he definitely has a good shot of turning the corner next year.
I want to believe it's Cris Carter.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: I want to believe it's Cris Carter.
Ooh ooh, maybe Randy Moss!

Just kidding. Next year will be interesting for CP84.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

And Troy Williamson is probably still removing bars from his face mask.

I'll believe it when I see it. Remember last year? Norv was going to work with him, and look what he did with Josh Gordon! He'll teach him the offense, get him involved, and Patterson will realize his full potential!

:confused:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I want to believe it's Cris Carter.
That would be cool, but apparently it's not Carter. Zimmer wants someone already familiar with the present offense.

http://min.scout.com/story/1497509-zimm ... n-t-carter
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Maybe it's Michael Irvin.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

To be honest Patterson is quickly becoming a Viking I don't really care for, personally. He says a lot
of the right things but I don't see him doing them much(like D Bag Johnny football). If the guy can't run at
least a partial route tree by next season; I am ready to dump the guy or trade him. In three off seasons
you should be up to speed in the NFL. Time will tell, and I hope I am wrong about this.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote:To be honest Patterson is quickly becoming a Viking I don't really care for, personally. He says a lot
of the right things but I don't see him doing them much(like D Bag Johnny football). If the guy can't run at
least a partial route tree by next season; I am ready to dump the guy or trade him. In three off seasons
you should be up to speed in the NFL. Time will tell, and I hope I am wrong about this.

A couple of things, number one he has only had one off season, this is his second and two he has shown me and most of the NFL, that he has tremendous ability that I would not discount so readily. Zimmer has come out and said that he is a great kid, with a great attitude and likes him a whole lot.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

I don't get it? why isn't the person Greg Jennings. Jennings said he was going to help him and a couple days later Zim said he was going to have someone help out CP. I just assumed that they were the same thing.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dkoby wrote:I don't get it? why isn't the person Greg Jennings. Jennings said he was going to help him and a couple days later Zim said he was going to have someone help out CP. I just assumed that they were the same thing.
Maybe they are the same. Or maybe the same but with different people.

In any case, it will be good having Jennings work with CP as well.