Vikings heading into next year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings heading into next year

Post by CbusVikesFan »

frosted wrote: No one's disputing that Mosley is a good player. The fact that you stated, "I really could care less what Barr does into the future, he is already sucking hind teat as far as I am concerned.", makes it seem like you are saying that Barr is not a good player.

I'll say this much: I was hoping to trade down a few picks in the draft last May and select Mosley. I actually felt he projected well as the MIKE or the WILL in Zim's defense. When we drafted Barr, I was a little stunned..then shocked...then intrigued. After seeing him play, I am glad we drafted him. He brings so much to the table.

Personally, what gives me pause is the fact that Odell Beckham Jr. was drafted 13th - he might end up being the best player in that draft by a country mile.
I am not saying that Barr is not a good player at all. What I am trying to say that the ceiling that Barr can reach will not reach the ceiling that Mosley has set already. If Mosley just maintains his average now set in his rookie season, Barr is going to have to double his output or more to just to keep up with CJM.
On OBjr, offense scores points, defense wins championships. I don't know who coined that, but it is still mostly ringing true.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

CbusVikesFan wrote: I am not saying that Barr is not a good player at all.

Whatever. What exactly does "sucking hind teat" mean to you? You should think about what you are writing before tyou write it...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

CbusVikesFan wrote: I am not saying that Barr is not a good player at all. What I am trying to say that the ceiling that Barr can reach will not reach the ceiling that Mosley has set already. If Mosley just maintains his average now set in his rookie season, Barr is going to have to double his output or more to just to keep up with CJM.
On OBjr, offense scores points, defense wins championships. I don't know who coined that, but it is still mostly ringing true.
I think you're 100% wrong on Barr having a lower ceiling. Mosley isn't close to as good of an athlete. It sounds to me like what you're really saying is that you don't believe Barr will ever develop as much as Mosley will, and you're entitled to that opinion. But as far as the ceiling goes, few have a higher one than Barr.
MusicCityViking
Backup

Post by MusicCityViking »

Good piece on Zimmer and Bridgewater:

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/669706

Zimmer, Bridgewater build foundation with Vikings , By The Associated Press
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) Mike Zimmer and Teddy Bridgewater will be forever linked with the Minnesota Vikings, regardless of how the team fares over the rest of their time together.
Despite the losing record produced by their first season with the Vikings (7-9), Zimmer and Bridgewater not only kept their reputation in tact but gave reasons to believe they'll be together in Minnesota for a while.

''Honestly, I never felt overwhelmed, from the day I walked in,'' Zimmer said Tuesday at his final news conference of 2014.

He added: ''Are there some things that I would do differently? Sure. Did I make some mistakes? Sure. But I felt like each and every day I came into work that I gave this team, the fans and the organization the very best that I could give them. And I believe in my head that I'll be even better next year with everything that I do.''
With Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers again on top of the NFC North with Green Bay, there's a long way to go for Minnesota to reach the conference's elite.

Finally, though, the Vikings have entered a winter without any questions about who'll be running the team or who'll be taking the snaps.
The Vikings finished 7-9, but their last five losses were by a combined 16 points. Bridgewater threw 12 interceptions against 14 touchdown passes, but he was at his best this month and posted a 64.4 completion rate that was the third-best rookie-year mark in NFL history. Bridgewater also gained the respect of teammates on both sides of the ball with a balance of humility and confidence.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Team Needs

Post by S197 »

MusicCityViking wrote:In your opinion, what are the biggest team needs that we should assess in the draft/offseason? IMO, offensive line, defensive line and linebacker are the 3 positions that we need most right now. A running back could be an option as well if we don't plan on keeping Peterson long-term. Having Bridgewater and Melvin Gordon in the backfield could be deadly. Anyway, I'll stop and let you guys contribute your ideas.
I would say receiver, linebacker, and secondary, in that order. Defensive line could be bumped up if they can't resign Tom Johnson or Robison leaves. I hesitate to say O-line because they have a lot of money wrapped up there and I think they will look elsewhere early in the draft and with their "splash" free agent signing(s).
Optimistic5
Waterboy

Post by Optimistic5 »

U guys think Zim is gonna press for defense for that 11th pick or do you think he'd be willing to let Spielman do his thing. I feel like he definitely wants another corner with how elite everyone's receivers are in the nfc north.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Team Needs

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:I would say receiver, linebacker, and secondary, in that order. Defensive line could be bumped up if they can't resign Tom Johnson or Robison leaves. I hesitate to say O-line because they have a lot of money wrapped up there and I think they will look elsewhere early in the draft and with their "splash" free agent signing(s).
I keep going back-and-forth on receiver. There seems to be a lot of potential with the current group. Of course, it could also be a bunch of "number 3, 4" receivers, too, depending on the development of Charles Johnson and Patterson. Other than running back, I think receiver is the most confusing group to assess/predict for the season (especially if they end up with Duron, which I don't think they will). I wouldn't object if they spent an early rounder on receiver, but I'd also wouldn't object if they went another direction (depending on who's available, of course). I think we can all agree that they probably won't go free agency at receiver (I doubt they'd sign Gordon even if he's released). If Cooper is there, though, he'd be awfully hard to pass up.

You make a good point about money tied up in the offensive line, but if they go that way early in the draft with one guy it won't cost too much (as opposed to, say, going after Mike Iupati). I don't see how they can go into the season without at least one change there (and I'm not sold on Yankey taking over for CJ being the one change). Keeping Teddy upright is too important. But Kalil probably gave them just enough the last few games to be granted another chance. I still think this is Priority #1.

Priority #2 for me is probably linebacker, specifically MLB with #2(b) being secondary. There doesn't seem to be a "stud" MLB in this year's draft class, but Perryman in R2 would be awesome. Maybe Kendricks. I also wonder what it would take to acquire Arthur Brown from the Ravens. I would've liked to have seen more of Sendejo, but there can be talent infusion opposite Smith no question. That position seems to be the most unsettled and I don't know if Zimmer likes any of his present options. I think the Vikings will look long and hard at Landon Collins if he's there.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings go defensive end in the first round or two with as much as Zimmer likes to rotate, his desire for consistent pass rush and how little depth there is there right now. There are some good pass rushers coming out and I was disappointed with Robison's performance down the stretch (I'm not sold yet on Crichton). I'd like them to resign Tom Johnson. He shouldn't command too terribly much in a multi-year deal as a situational pass rusher, but might price himself out of the Vikings' plans. Randy Gregory is someone to keep an eye on. Gregory seems like a "Zimmer guy." And taking a chance with free agent JPP would be a fun pairing with Everson, though it won't happen.

They have a lot of needs. Hopefully through the draft and free agency they pick up the right guys to help fill in the holes. I can't wait for the draft!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
MusicCityViking
Backup

according to http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/12/ ... l-32-teams , the Vikings have the 11th hardest schedule in terms of opponents' 2014 records (138-118 combined record), which is a win percentage of .539.

The Vikings also face 9 quality opponents (teams with 9 or more wins in the 2014 season). Our 2015 opponents' combined points differential from the 2014 season was +140. We also have the toughest 2015 schedule out of teams in our division. The Bears (13th), Lions (14th), and Packers (15th) all have easier schedules than us.

We are going to have to greatly improve in the offseason if we want to come out of 2015 with a better record than we did this season (in 2014 our strength of schedule was 9th easiest in the league, it is 11th toughest for 2015 season).
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Ohhhh Baby, this is fun.
I am wondering if we don't just take best CB available. Trae Waynes from Michigan state may be a target. I think that there's very good WR talent after the first round. With Jennings, Johnson, CP, and Wright, do we need Parker? Absolutely, imo, as he could be a legitimate #1. However, there's great talent available later. I really like the Washington State kid.
I am all over the place as this is exciting this offseason.
Also, not just Perryman but Ragland from Alabama is an intriguing MLB.
MusicCityViking
Backup

This may seem like a farfetched idea, but if Felton doesn't stick around, would it be crazy to move Asiata to FB and draft a RB to play alongside McKinnon? I'm not sure how well Asiata blocks, but he sure does do well in short-yardage situations and catching balls out of the backfield.

Just thinking out loud...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MusicCityViking wrote:This may seem like a farfetched idea, but if Felton doesn't stick around, would it be crazy to move Asiata to FB and draft a RB to play alongside McKinnon? I'm not sure how well Asiata blocks, but he sure does do well in short-yardage situations and catching balls out of the backfield.

Just thinking out loud...
What about Zach Line? :wink:

Depending on what happens with AD, there are some solid running backs coming out. I certainly wouldn't be against it.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
MusicCityViking
Backup

Ben Goessling ‏@GoesslingESPN
#Vikings assistant GM George Paton has no plans to interview for GM jobs at this point, per league sources. He's staying in Minnesota.
There were rumors he was possibly going to the Jets to be GM there, looks like he will remain our Asst. GM.

Ben Goessling @GoesslingESPN
Paton was a finalist for the Rams' job in 2012, declined interview with Dolphins last winter. He's been a key player in Vikings' drafts.
This is a loyal guy. Will be nice to have him here for upcoming draft.