Christian Ponder: 'It's really been a roller coaster"

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Christian Ponder: 'It's really been a roller coaster"

Post by Mothman »

Today's game will almost certainly be Christian Ponder's last as a Viking. Here's a link to a good PP interview with him that, as it's author Brian Murphy says below, amounts to an exit interview.

Ponder's been a polarizing figure, to say the least, but I think he's handled himself with class as a Viking. It sounds like he wants a chance to play and compete elsewhere and I hope he gets it. I also hope he does well.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_272 ... =hottopics
What a long, strange road it has been for Christian Ponder, the onetime Vikings franchise quarterback turned postscript at the dawn of the Teddy Bridgewater era.

So much potential, disappointment, upheaval and regret; Ponder has only begun to reconcile his four seasons in Minnesota.

"I didn't take full advantage of the opportunity I was given," he concluded.

The No. 12 overall pick of the 2011 draft is poised to become a free agent after playing out his rookie contract, having earned more than $10 million from the Vikings but not enough trust for the club to exercise a $9.68 million fifth-year option.

Too much baggage makes it highly unlikely Ponder and the Vikings will renew vows during the offseason, even though the team's other veteran quarterback, Matt Cassel, could be prowling for another starting job elsewhere.

A career reboot and another chance to compete for the No. 1 job is what Ponder wants. He will not find it standing in Bridgewater's shadow, although offensive coordinator Norv Turner says the 26-year-old Texan still is capable of the commanding role.

"Based on my experiences with guys who have been in that position and gotten opportunities, yeah, I think he could be," Turner said last week. "He's too talented to say that he can't be a starting guy."

Ponder sat down with the Pioneer Press this week for what amounted to an exit interview.
I liked this:
PP: You've competed against Teddy and Matt, and both have taken your job at different points. Still, you guys have been able to have a dynamic that seems pretty productive for all three of you. Why has it worked in that room?

CP: I think it's the personalities of all three of us. We approach this game as professionals. I've been impressed with Teddy. I know he was rated really high coming out of college. He's a guy that's come in and acted extremely humble and quiet and really wanted to learn from Matt and I. We're all friends. We like hanging out together off the field. No one's trying to stab each other in the back. We're there to help each other, and we understand this game how tough it can be as a starter. It's been a good group to be a part of.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Christian Ponder: 'It's really been a roller coaster"

Post by DK Sweets »

What are you trying to start?!

Seriously though, I wish him the best of luck.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:
Another example of the classy guy that Ponder is. There is no reason whatsoever to hate Ponder because things didn't work out.

I wish him well. Who knows? He may do much better in another system and atmosphere, even if it's as a backup QB.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

losperros wrote: Another example of the classy guy that Ponder is. There is no reason whatsoever to hate Ponder because things didn't work out.

I wish him well. Who knows? He may do much better in another system and atmosphere, even if it's as a backup QB.
As long as it is in the AFC :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Wish him well, but it is more than time for both parties to move on.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Ponder was quoted saying something along the lines of him coming in to the NFL a little too cocky. I'm sure he has contrasted his rookie year attitude to Teddy's.

Good luck to him though.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Ponder's been a polarizing figure, to say the least, but I think he's handled himself with class as a Viking. It sounds like he wants a chance to play and compete elsewhere and I hope he gets it. I also hope he does well.
100% agree.

I hope this thread steers clear of the idiots, because when you talk about Ponder the man, he's a great individual. Sometimes being a fan really blurs the line of human decency towards another human, unfortunately, and man-to-man I would wish him nothing but the best. I don't think he's anything more than a career backup, but I still hope he finds success be it that or as a starter. Whatever it is, just as I still rooted/root for Tarvaris, I'll do the same for Ponder.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PacificNorseWest wrote: 100% agree.

I hope this thread steers clear of the idiots, because when you talk about Ponder the man, he's a great individual. Sometimes being a fan really blurs the line of human decency towards another human, unfortunately, and man-to-man I would wish him nothing but the best. I don't think he's anything more than a career backup, but I still hope he finds success be it that or as a starter. Whatever it is, just as I still rooted/root for Tarvaris, I'll do the same for Ponder.
Both Ponder and Jackson were very professional with their attitudes when here, even though they had high expectations and a lot on their shoulders. I like them both as men and hope tgey have success wherever they go (except against the Vikings).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

yezzir wrote:Ponder was quoted saying something along the lines of him coming in to the NFL a little too cocky. I'm sure he has contrasted his rookie year attitude to Teddy's.

Good luck to him though.
Show me anywhere were he said that he came into the NFL "a little too cocky". And any instance where he was acting cocky One last shot huh. :shock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I didn't see Ponder as too cocky, I think his work ethic wasn't what it should have been ...

or maybe he just over thought everything, during games... all I know is the experiment was a major failure,
and he didn't do what we wanted for that level of pick.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Christian Ponder expects to be booed Saturday in Minnesota by Jimmy Durkin
Overall, Ponder’s Minnesota tenure ended on a sour note and he expects to hear it a little bit from the fans on Saturday.

“Oh, I’m going to get booed,” Ponder said. “I’m trying to figure out, we were talking about it in the quarterback room, what I should do when I get out on the field? Should I take a bow, or what? What’s going to happen? I’m expecting some boos, but it’s all fun though.”

Clearly, Ponder isn’t stressing too much about the Minnesota reaction. He had a solid debut as the Raiders’ backup quarterback, going 6 of 8 for 59 yards and a touchdown. He also threw an interception on the final play of the first half.

Ponder’s in a position with the Raiders where his role is fairly well-established. Derek Carr is the starter, he was signed to be the backup. While there’s some competition with Matt McGloin for the No. 2 spot, it’s still a fairly defined role and that likely enables him to stay loose and he’ll plan to enjoy Saturday, whatever the reaction is.

“I’m going to enjoy what I’m doing whether fans are cheering or booing,” Ponder said. “If it doesn’t happen, great, if it does happen, I’m prepared.
Link: http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2 ... minnesota/
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I hope nobody boos.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

fiestavike wrote:I hope nobody boos.
No kidding. That would be pretty classless IMHO.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thaumaturgist wrote: No kidding. That would be pretty classless IMHO.
I fully expect it to happen and if it does, I hope Ponder responds in a lighthearted way. I like his idea of taking a bow...
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Thaumaturgist wrote: No kidding. That would be pretty classless IMHO.
Classless though?

Booing on these occasions is a gesture all in fun. Now, if they threw beer or cups at him or something, that would be classless.