Capt. Munnerlyn

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Capt. Munnerlyn

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:Definitely addition by subtraction cutting world's greatest slot midget.
I don't get the "slot midget" crap. A lot of nickel corners are shorter. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I'm not that down on Munnerlyn. He had a bad year but made some big plays at times as well. He was in a new scheme and supposedly was hurt for a lot of last season. With Rhodes, Waynes, Captain and Newman, we have plenty of depth at CB. I'm not really worried whatsoever
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

We have no idea about Waynes, Captain played poorly, a 36 year old free agent in Newman. And you're not worried at all? Not even a little? :shock:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mike, you haven't learned yet not to "take the bait" :nono: :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:well hopefully some undrafted will be a pro bowler and we will all drink lots of Purple Kool Aid
I won't be upset if they cut him because he is out performed in camp. That would probably bode well for the Vikings.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple bruise wrote:
Mike, you haven't learned yet not to "take the bait" :nono: :wink:
:lol: Yeah you're right. CB is probably the deepest position on our roster right now but for some reason I'm suppose to worry :confused:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: :lol: Yeah you're right. CB is probably the deepest position on our roster right now but for some reason I'm suppose to worry :confused:
How is it "deep"? We have ONE player who's shown they can be a good player at the position for an entire season. Robinson can't play the slot. Newman can't play the slot. And Munnerlyn isn't a very good player but had a solid season or two in the slot on a team that would benefit a slot corner. We have no idea how deep it is. Our #2 guy is probably a rookie with questions about his agility. We have one proven NFL caliber starter at corner, and you claim it's the deepest position. The only thing I think that might say, is how the other positions are looking. Munnerlyn and Robinson were abused last year when they started on the outside. Did you watch the same corners I did last year?!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote: How is it "deep"? We have ONE player who's shown they can be a good player at the position for an entire season. Robinson can't play the slot. Newman can't play the slot. And Munnerlyn isn't a very good player but had a solid season or two in the slot on a team that would benefit a slot corner. We have no idea how deep it is. Our #2 guy is probably a rookie with questions about his agility. We have one proven NFL caliber starter at corner, and you claim it's the deepest position. The only thing I think that might say, is how the other positions are looking. Munnerlyn and Robinson were abused last year when they started on the outside. Did you watch the same corners I did last year?!
Why are we even really talking about Robinson? Chances are, he's going to be our #5 CB this year so what are you really worried about? Munnerlyn is now able to go back to his natural position. Newman, even in his late 30's, has been a very solid CB in Cincy the past 3 years and can fill in on the outside until they feel Waynes is ready. You can say what you want about Waynes but the guy has allowed 2 TDs in over 2 years, fits Zimmer's press man scheme perfectly, is a physical CB, and has great speed. Yet, you're going to sit here and nitpick his "agility" because of what you saw at the combine?? Give me a break. I really don't buy that one. I have watched tape on this kid many, many times and don't see any kind of major "agility issues". There is MUCH more to his game than that. Zimmer has been a "CB guru" for how many years now and "revived" many careers. He was the one that pushed so hard for Waynes. I think he has a much better tell on what Waynes is capable of than some negative, instigating fan on vikings message board.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Why are we even really talking about Robinson? Chances are, he's going to be our #5 CB this year so what are you really worried about? Munnerlyn is now able to go back to his natural position. Newman, even in his late 30's, has been a very solid CB in Cincy the past 3 years and can fill in on the outside until they feel Waynes is ready. You can say what you want about Waynes but the guy has allowed 2 TDs in over 2 years, fits Zimmer's press man scheme perfectly, is a physical CB, and has great speed. Yet, you're going to sit here and nitpick his "agility" because of what you saw at the combine?? Give me a break. I really don't buy that one. I have watched tape on this kid many, many times and don't see any kind of major "agility issues". There is MUCH more to his game than that. Zimmer has been a "CB guru" for how many years now and "revived" many careers. He was the one that pushed so hard for Waynes. I think he has a much better tell on what Waynes is capable of than some negative, instigating fan on vikings message board
While I agree that cornerback is a deeper position on the team, I don't believe it is fair to say that this position isn't without concern. The truth is, outside of Xavier Rhodes, no one really knows how well the position will come together. Captain didn't play well last year. There is no guarantee that his playing ability will improve this year. Josh Robinson played better last season, but, again, he is still an enigma - we don't know what version of Josh Robinson will show up this season. Terrence Newman has been an effective corner during his NFL tenure, but, at 36 years old, it is hard for me to be optimistic about his ability to play effectively. Time after time there have been cases of veteran players having a sudden drop in production and ability from one to the next.

Outside of those four veteran players, this team is left with a big question mark in Trae Waynes, a 2014 seventh round pick in Jabari Price who struggled with assignments on special teams in 2014, a pure special teamer in Marcus Sherels, a former third round pick in DeMarcus Van Dyke whose only upside has been his immense speed, and Shaun Prater - a personal favorite of mine due to certain reasons, but he is someone who has not been given extensive opportunity.

As much as I believe in this coaching staff, in my opinion, it would be asinine to have 100% confidence in the position group I am not counting out Trae Waynes, but we don't know how well he is going to translate in the NFL - which is the same concern that pertains to every NFL rookie. Besides, while counting on a rookie to produce at a high level right-off-the-bat has become the norm in the NFL, not every rookie will come in and play at a high level. Zimmer and his staff will definitely have their work cut out for them with Waynes and the rest of the position group.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

This is the basic truth of our receiving corps: if Xavier Rhodes stays healthy, the group is deep even if they aren't spectacular. You can insert pretty much any corner as the #2 guy and still have a better secondary than we've had in years. But if we lose Rhodes, this gets very ugly very fast.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DK Sweets wrote:This is the basic truth of our receiving corps: if Xavier Rhodes stays healthy, the group is deep even if they aren't spectacular. You can insert pretty much any corner as the #2 guy and still have a better secondary than we've had in years. But if we lose Rhodes, this gets very ugly very fast.

We've sen that script play out too many times in recent years. The Vikes were fortunate to stay pretty healthy in the secondary last season. Hopefully, that will continue and we won't have to find out just how deep they actually are at CB and safety.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Capt. does what Cook used to do a lot.. he does not look for the ball.

Lack of speed ?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!