2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: 2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I've heard a few people here, and a lot over the internet, suggesting the vikings take an OT first. Or maybe an OLB. How many LB do we need. Perryman is really the only one I like, and can play inside. I wouldnt be too sad with him. But none of the others till real late one. We have guys we havent even tried. And we are going to have to get a FA LB of Greenway doesnt take a cut.

We need a GREAT WR. (Jennings was great, he isnt now, no matter what his paycheck says). I like White, in fact i mentioned him months ago, but hes kinda raw yet, but I think Parker fits Zimmers/Norvs plan as well. Cooper does too, but hes gone in the first 5.

We do not need a tackle or LB with the first pick.

If we go with a tackle and bench Phil or Kalil, when both had stepped it up at the end of the season, I will be furious. We need to replace Johnson, but can do that later. There are a few FA guards I hope Rick is looking at. Like the guy from Denver.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I've heard a few people here, and a lot over the internet, suggesting the vikings take an OT first. Or maybe an OLB. How many LB do we need. Perryman is really the only one I like, and can play inside. I wouldnt be too sad with him. But none of the others till real late one. We have guys we havent even tried. And we are going to have to get a FA LB of Greenway doesnt take a cut.

We need a GREAT WR. (Jennings was great, he isnt now, no matter what his paycheck says). I like White, in fact i mentioned him months ago, but hes kinda raw yet, but I think Parker fits Zimmers/Norvs plan as well. Cooper does too, but hes gone in the first 5.

If we go with a tackle and bench Phil or Kalil, when both had stepped it up at the end of the season, I will be furious. We need to replace Johnson, but can do that later. There are a few FA guards I hope Rick is looking at. Like the guy from Denver.
Phil didn't step up and the end of the season, he was injured. There's absolutely no chance of Phil getting benched. That would be insane. There's very little chance of Kalil being benched as well. I don't think they pick a tackle for this reason.

Their biggest need by far is a #1 receiver, and there are three in the draft worthy of a top 11 pick. At least one of them will be there when we pick. Unless something crazy happens like the USC DE dropping to 11, we're probably going to take a WR. I could definitely see us going guard or LB in the 2nd though.
MusicCityViking
Backup

Post by MusicCityViking »

@Vikings: The #Vikings have terminated G Charlie Johnson's contract.
Making room for Brandon Scherff?

... Or David Yankey?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I've heard a few people here, and a lot over the internet, suggesting the vikings take an OT first. Or maybe an OLB. How many LB do we need. Perryman is really the only one I like, and can play inside. I wouldnt be too sad with him. But none of the others till real late one. We have guys we havent even tried. And we are going to have to get a FA LB of Greenway doesnt take a cut.

I agree Mike. To be honest, I hope the hype for Kevin White continues because that could secure him as the first WR off the board and gives us a better shot of landing Cooper. If not then we take Parker. I just don't want White. I want a guy that's already polished. We could easily get a good MLB in the second or even later. Perryman, McKinney, Kendricks, Dawson, etc. I really hope we pass on Shaq Thompson as well. Too similar to Barr IMO. Hodges is more than capable of starting on the weak side which only leaves the middle open.

Think about it.....Zimmer made Burfict into an absolute stud when he was there and Burfict went undrafted. He had off the field issues and looked awful at the combine. So I would take any of those MLBs I mentioned above in later rounds. They would be just fine in Zimmers system.

Any first round OL pick is a waste of a pick IMO outside of Scherff simply because of his versatility and ability to play guard. We don't need a tackle and no matter what any "analyst" thinks....we aren't getting rid of Kalil this year. We'd be eating more dead money than anything. His salary is guaranteed. I want to see a legitimate guard next to him.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

MusicCityViking wrote: Making room for Brandon Scherff?

... Or David Yankey?
Or a free agent. Either way....I'm so glad he is gone. No brainer move by Spielman
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Nice! No dead money for Charlie, entirely cap savings of 2.5 million. Will update OP after work this evening, with the couple moves that have been recently made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Totally celebrating handing CJ his walking papers. :thumbsup:

I can't completely commit to saying there is one position over another of ultimate need for the team in the draft....not that it matters outside of speculative convo anyway, but if they do snag an early rd WR, I agree that the less of a project he is the better.

I know every draft is important, but I'm really feeling this one is a pivotal moment for this group considering what's available, their position (11th) and where the current pendulum is for the team overall.

I think there is some real opportunity to bring in a FA or two at a skill position also. I just get the impression they are in a really good place and have tons of flexibility.....it will be very interesting to see it unfold.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Two guys that have been released that are on my WR radar: Brian Hartline and Harry Douglas.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

720pete wrote:Two guys that have been released that are on my WR radar: Brian Hartline and Harry Douglas.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
They're better than who on our roster? Thielen?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm so glad Johnson is gone he just was horrible
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Hartline might be worth a look ...I always liked him
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Yeah, Dawson can't play! :oops: I put more stock in his tape than his combine numbers. I think he'd complement Barr really well. Also, I think we've seen plenty of Brinkley and Cole to know what we have--solid back ups / special teamers.
PurpleKoolaid wrote:We need a GREAT WR. (Jennings was great, he isnt now, no matter what his paycheck says). I like White, in fact i mentioned him months ago, but hes kinda raw yet, but I think Parker fits Zimmers/Norvs plan as well. Cooper does too, but hes gone in the first 5.

I agree for the most part here. I don't know what to think of Kevin White. He seems like a combine hero to me. I think Cooper and maybe even Parker are better pass catchers and may transition more quickly to the NFL. IMO, White benefitted from playing in the Big 12, a division not known for shut down defenses (on the contrary). In tight press coverage White disappeared and that concerns me. I'd be happy with Scherf or Parker at 11 and Dawson in Rd. 2.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote: Also, I think we've seen plenty of Brinkley and Cole to know what we have--solid back ups / special teamers.
I really agree with this. I think they are deep at LB they just lack the one upper tier guy.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:I don't know what to think of Kevin White. He seems like a combine hero to me.
I agree 100%. I'm starting to get a Stephen Hill vibe from him. He blew up at the combine and the Jets drafted him in the first round and he was a huge flop. He's currently on Carolina's practice squad. If you can't crack their 53 man roster as a WR then you really must be bad.

I think both Cooper and Parker are much better pass catchers and route runners. Cooper is one of the best route runners I've seen come out in a while. I think the best overall WR is Cooper IMO. If we pass on Cooper or Parker and go in another direction first round, then I would want a guy like Strong or Green-Beckham. However, it looks more and more likely that Cooper could be there at our pick and I would be furious if we passed on him.

This is why I'm enjoying this Kevin White hype so much because it's giving us a better shot to get Cooper
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I agree 100%. I'm starting to get a Stephen Hill vibe from him. He blew up at the combine and the Jets drafted him in the first round and he was a huge flop. He's currently on Carolina's practice squad. If you can't crack their 53 man roster as a WR then you really must be bad.

I think both Cooper and Parker are much better pass catchers and route runners. Cooper is one of the best route runners I've seen come out in a while. I think the best overall WR is Cooper IMO. If we pass on Cooper or Parker and go in another direction first round, then I would want a guy like Strong or Green-Beckham. However, it looks more and more likely that Cooper could be there at our pick and I would be furious if we passed on him.

I have the same perspective on the top WRs. If we have a shot at Cooper we need to rush to the podium and make the selection. He is the best WR in this class and is a solid top 10 pick IMO.