2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Sorry HCVF, I didn't mean to imply that you were implying that we did. :thumbsup:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I don't really see what the big deal about duron carter is..... did the vikings not already cut him once, also I have read/heard from multiple sources that he has a terrible attitude and is a cancer to teams he has been on.
Imo we need to get Parker from Louisville, especially after his showing at his bowl game with a backup quarterback that never played.
Those were the reports two years ago. A lot can change in two years.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

CbusVikesFan wrote:Sorry HCVF, I didn't mean to imply that you were implying that we did. :thumbsup:
It is ok, I didn't take it too personally. I just wanted to clarify my remarks.

Like I said, Cooper is on another level. As far as WRs go in this draft, I think Kevin White will be a bust. DeVante Parker is very interesting to me. Another guy I like in the draft is Devin Smith from Ohio St. Sammie Coates from Auburn could be an interesting player.

I want this team to take the BPA. I would like to see them trade down a few spots though if possible.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: It is ok, I didn't take it too personally. I just wanted to clarify my remarks.

Like I said, Cooper is on another level. As far as WRs go in this draft, I think Kevin White will be a bust. DeVante Parker is very interesting to me. Another guy I like in the draft is Devin Smith from Ohio St. Sammie Coates from Auburn could be an interesting player.

I want this team to take the BPA. I would like to see them trade down a few spots though if possible.
I pretty much just said the same thing about White in another thread. I would like for us to trade down as well unless Cooper or Parker is sitting there. Like I said, if we miss out on both of those guys, I hope to god we wait a round or two. It's a fairly deep WR class
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I really hope that Vikings go defense with the first pick.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

CbusVikesFan wrote:I really hope that Vikings go defense with the first pick.

Same. I'd like to see the majority of the offseason focus be defense....O line and some wideout options.

Actually be happy if they traded down for more picks. Can't recall if Spielman has really done that yet....not out of the 1st round anyway.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

With the firing of John Fox and the potential retirement of Peyton Manning, it leaves me wondering about Demaryius Thomas.

He's going to be a free agent. Young, big, fast, uber-talented. Probably uber-expensive, too.

Thoughts?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:With the firing of John Fox and the potential retirement of Peyton Manning, it leaves me wondering about Demaryius Thomas.

He's going to be a free agent. Young, big, fast, uber-talented. Probably uber-expensive, too.

Thoughts?

They shoulda fired Elway....holy crap.

Not sure this is the time to pull the trigger on a high priced FA wideout...unless they are going to be done with Jennings or AD.

I dunno though...I'm not too spiffy on salary a cap stuff.

He's a good player....
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I am a huge fan of adding Parker, but realistically, it may not be the best pick for the team. If you have a very good QB, then I would prefer the best route runners as opposed to the big tools guy.
We need WRs that know how to be open. Like the Hardy kid in the 2-3rd range.
CB Trae Waynes, S Landon Collins, OL Brandon Scherff, DT Danny Shelton would be my choice if we stay put. All would be in the BPA range and add significance to our team.
I actually am thinking a trade down approach and accumulating a couple picks is not a bad option.
I am torn. Those 4 are potential difference makers and Pro Bowl type guys.
2nd round WR Hardy is another Jennings type, but younger and cheaper.
Still need to address LB. I am hoping Mason Foster can be lured her. Guy can flat out play.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Breeze wrote:
They shoulda fired Elway....holy crap.

Not sure this is the time to pull the trigger on a high priced FA wideout...unless they are going to be done with Jennings or AD.

I dunno though...I'm not too spiffy on salary a cap stuff.

He's a good player....
He's a GREAT player.

Last three seasons, 92, 94, and 111 receptions. Two 1,400-yard seasons and one 1,600-yard seasons. Double-digit TDs. I know he had Manning throwing to him, but if there's any truth to the "wide receivers 'get it' starting in year three," he's the prototype. In Minnesota, he'd have a young, up-and-coming Teddy Bridgewater throwing to him.

The key is the bolded part in your post ... Adrian Peterson. If he's not back, it frees up a ton of cap room. The problem is that if DT hits the free-agent market, he's going to be snapped up before April 15.

Anyway, y'all know how I feel. I'd love #88 in purple.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: He's a GREAT player.

Last three seasons, 92, 94, and 111 receptions. Two 1,400-yard seasons and one 1,600-yard seasons. Double-digit TDs. I know he had Manning throwing to him, but if there's any truth to the "wide receivers 'get it' starting in year three," he's the prototype. In Minnesota, he'd have a young, up-and-coming Teddy Bridgewater throwing to him.

The key is the bolded part in your post ... Adrian Peterson. If he's not back, it frees up a ton of cap room. The problem is that if DT hits the free-agent market, he's going to be snapped up before April 15.

Anyway, y'all know how I feel. I'd love #88 in purple.

The reinstatement timing is just another way this AD issue is complicating things.

I'd actually be more interested in signing the TE Thomas who will also be a FA. Not because I think he is better...but he's a good one and cheaper. I'm actually moving away from the idea of paying max money to WRs and RBs.

It ain't my money though....and if they sign him I wouldn't complain.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Interesting thought. That would make the offense immediately better so they could focus on defense in the draft.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

I do not want Demarius Thomas. Yes, he's good, but he's going to be way overpriced. Teams know that his numbers are inflated because of Manning, but they will still overpay for him. Just look at Erik Decker. I know Linval Joseph and Captain Munnerlyn didn't play as well as we hoped they would, but I am still a fan of signing the mid-tier FAs if they are a good value. I know that goes against conventional wisdom, and that the mid-tier guys are overpaid, but there are bargains to be had at that level and that should be our goal. High priced FAs are for teams that are either a piece or two away from being a super bowl contender, or teams with GMs/coaches that are on the hot seat and need to save their jobs. We are neither imo.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

kurtkeoki wrote:I do not want Demarius Thomas. Yes, he's good, but he's going to be way overpriced. Teams know that his numbers are inflated because of Manning, but they will still overpay for him. Just look at Erik Decker. I know Linval Joseph and Captain Munnerlyn didn't play as well as we hoped they would, but I am still a fan of signing the mid-tier FAs if they are a good value. I know that goes against conventional wisdom, and that the mid-tier guys are overpaid, but there are bargains to be had at that level and that should be our goal. High priced FAs are for teams that are either a piece or two away from being a super bowl contender, or teams with GMs/coaches that are on the hot seat and need to save their jobs. We are neither imo.
So you think Thomas' numbers are inflated because of Manning? What's your proof? Decker? Isn't it interesting that the Broncos let Decker walk. It's patently obvious that Eric Decker isn't close to the receiver Thomas is.

If you're not in favor of signing high-level free agents, that's a legitimate point of view. But implying that one of the top receivers in the NFL is somehow not as good as his numbers is pretty ridiculous. I could just as easily contend that Thomas is actually BETTER than his numbers because the Broncos have had an embarrassment of riches at wideout and TE for the past three years. I'd have no more proof than you do, but I could make the argument.

Sure, Thomas would cost a lot. But honestly, given the choice to pay Adrian Peterson or pay Demaryius Thomas, I'd take Thomas in a heartbeat.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

This take by Holler is what I hope goes down as well:

With the input of two vested veterans of draft weekends in Norv Turner and Mike Zimmer, strong opinions get formed when they see the “It Factor” in a player. Those players are available throughout the draft and, with the benefit of a full year of assessing the pluses and minuses of the existing roster, there are going to be strong opinions in play when it comes time to pull the trigger and submit a name.

Seven first-contract first-rounders are a burden/blessing no team in the modern era of the NFL has carried into second-contract fruition. Can you keep them all? How many do you keep? There is going to be a salary cap receipt due when the Vikings settle into their new indoor digs and the stories of how cold it was at The Bank gain exaggerated proportions. Keeping the band together won’t come cheap. As a result, the value in this year’s draft may be to move down, not up.
http://min.scout.com/story/1501221-holl ... draft-move