2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:
But you feel comfortable with a rookie with zero experience in the defense starting? Over a 37 year old veteran who has played with Zimmer for 6 seasons?
Well it depends who it is obviously. If it's Waynes or Collins or even Peters, then yeah. Do you know how many rookies come into this league and start day 1? It happens a lot. Barr did it last year. Kalil and Harrison Smith did it. It's not like it's out of the question. Those guys did great as day 1 starters. It's all going to depend on how quick they learn the defense. For Barr being as raw as he was, he did a fine job. So yeah I would be comfortable with any of those 3 above. Especially Waynes
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Looks like that Polish tackle will be another run blocking monster but severely lacking in pass protection. In other words he should fit right in as loadholts backup...

Newman signing seems alright to me, if he can play better under Zimmer again great, if not oh well. Good to have more depth there regardless, we always end up banged up at CB.
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

Not sure if anyone touched on this but Chad Greenway restructured and saved some $3 million in cap space!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Superfreak84 wrote:Not sure if anyone touched on this but Chad Greenway restructured and saved some $3 million in cap space!
:wallbang:
Wish they'd just move on already.
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

Superfreak84 wrote:Not sure if anyone touched on this but Chad Greenway restructured and saved some $3 million in cap space!
Just hoping he's a backup.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Vikings28 wrote: Just hoping he's a backup.
Although his best years are behind him, I think its a great move for him to take a paycut and stay with the team. Even as an older man, he still is 2nd on the team last year in total tackles, and that was only playing in 12 games. Best of all LBs. And although tackles as a stat doesn't tell the full story, he has a nose for getting in on plays. There is so much love on this board for Hodges, Barr, some were even happy to see Brinkley making it back onto the roster. Even though Greenway has been one of the most consistent members of this team, every year, someone thinks he should be benched, but where are the guys that are working so hard to win his position from him? Why can people love these guys who are unproven to say the least, yet continue to dog on the Best LB this org has had in at least 20 years. Makes no sense to me. :steamed:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

KSViking wrote: Although his best years are behind him, I think its a great move for him to take a paycut and stay with the team. Even as an older man, he still is 2nd on the team last year in total tackles, and that was only playing in 12 games. Best of all LBs. And although tackles as a stat doesn't tell the full story, he has a nose for getting in on plays. There is so much love on this board for Hodges, Barr, some were even happy to see Brinkley making it back onto the roster. Even though Greenway has been one of the most consistent members of this team, every year, someone thinks he should be benched, but where are the guys that are working so hard to win his position from him? Why can people love these guys who are unproven to say the least, yet continue to dog on the Best LB this org has had in at least 20 years. Makes no sense to me. :steamed:
It makes no sense to me either. :confused:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

KSViking wrote: Although his best years are behind him, I think its a great move for him to take a paycut and stay with the team. Even as an older man, he still is 2nd on the team last year in total tackles, and that was only playing in 12 games. Best of all LBs. And although tackles as a stat doesn't tell the full story, he has a nose for getting in on plays. There is so much love on this board for Hodges, Barr, some were even happy to see Brinkley making it back onto the roster. Even though Greenway has been one of the most consistent members of this team, every year, someone thinks he should be benched, but where are the guys that are working so hard to win his position from him? Why can people love these guys who are unproven to say the least, yet continue to dog on the Best LB this org has had in at least 20 years. Makes no sense to me. :steamed:
That says more about the linebackers we've had in the last 20 years than Greenway.
The guys working hard to win his position are on other teams, because instead of getting guys in to compete for the job and finding one, they keep Greenway around despite his "value" going down year after year.
I guess he's worth keeping around and starting at one dollar amount but not another? Despite his actual ability being the exact same...his production is going to be the same at 7M or 3M.
There's love on this board because a lot of us want more than consistency, we want a player who can make an impact!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Nice to keep Greenway around for leadership I guess, too bad he cant play LB any more. He was as much of a liability as Jasper was. I have a feeling he wont be playing a lot, so the young guys should get more time.

If they can teach that Polish tackle to play, watch out! Just put him and Phil on one side of the line, push, and fall over foward. Should be good for 5 yards every time lol.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Brandon Spikes - LB - Free Agent
The Vikings have reached out to free agent ILB Brandon Spikes.

The Vikings have interest in Spikes, but are reportedly unwilling to meet his asking price. An early-down run stopper, Spikes would be a major upgrade at the MIKE spot for Minnesota. The Bills also haven't ruled out re-signing Spikes.
Source: Darren Wolfson on Twitter Mar 28 - 7:11 PM
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:Brandon Spikes - LB - Free Agent

The Vikings have interest in Spikes, but are reportedly unwilling to meet his asking price. An early-down run stopper, Spikes would be a major upgrade at the MIKE spot for Minnesota. The Bills also haven't ruled out re-signing Spikes.
Ive been waiting for them to get him since FA started. They keep Greenway, yet dont want to overpay (if thats what they thought it is) a real honest to goodness MLB? Not the best guy in coverages but leaps and bounds above Jasper. He'd be the best we have had in that spot since EJ.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote:Brandon Spikes - LB - Free Agent

What's his asking price? An upgrade with a chip on his shoulder. I'd overpay a little.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I want Spikes, but I'd assumed he's been asking too much. As others have noted, he's slow and not particularly good in coverage and he has character concerns. That said, for the right price he's still a solid run defender and blitzer and forces turnovers well.

Not my favorite player, but for the right price he'd definitely upgrade the team.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

If the Newman signing means they are giving up on Robinson, I guess it surprises me some.
He's had his rookie season followed by a year out of position and then one in a new system.
I suppose it's not known until they all get on the field in camp....possible draft pick included.
The more legit competition there the better.
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

When I see Greenway play nowadays, he's slow to the ball and a liability in coverage. I respect everything he has done and don't mind him being on the team for leadership and all the intangibles but I don't want to see him out there as an every down LB. He just doesn't have it anymore. I'm not trying to be disrespectful towards him and it's fine if you and others disagree but that's my opinion on him. I haven't seen enough of Hodges yet to compare him to Greenway but no question Barr is a much much better player than Greenway. So I can understand why people would have a lot of love for Barr.

I prefer these "unproven" players because they're young/athletic and I have faith in Zimmer to turn them into very good players. Greenway on the other hand is old/slow and his best days are well behind him.

I really hope they draft a LB late in the 1st round (a Spielman speciality) or with the 45th pick. Someone like Kendricks would be perfect.