2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

Post by dead_poet »

Wow. Tough break and scary situation. Wishing him the best in his next endeavors.

Guard Austin Wentworth says NFL career over after one Vikings season after suffering leg clots and losing muscle

http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/201 ... ng-muscle/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I can't help but wonder how much Spielman and Co. knew about Wentworth and Tiny's medical situations before the draft and what role that may have played in the lineman picks.

Those were two guys that I considered part of the depth building process...I don't know how much they had progressed or even had the opportunity, given their physical limitations, but they basically just lost two young lineman in a matter of two weeks or so.
That's a setback and that's how it goes I guess.

Sorry for both of those kids.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:I can't help but wonder how much Spielman and Co. knew about Wentworth and Tiny's medical situations before the draft and what role that may have played in the lineman picks.
They probably knew lot, especially about Wentworth. His scare happened two months ago. I'm sure a couple of weeks after the surgery it was pretty clear he was done in the NFL (if not sooner). And Tiny's knees were always an issue, made even more so after his latest surgeries.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

dead_poet wrote: They probably knew lot, especially about Wentworth. His scare happened two months ago. I'm sure a couple of weeks after the surgery it was pretty clear he was done in the NFL (if not sooner). And Tiny's knees were always an issue, made even more so after his latest surgeries.
Unless Wentworth had issues in the past there would be no way to know about blood clots. They can form and do damage very quickly. Which is what it sounds like happened here. As he said, "I got to play a year in the NFL, who can say that" At least he's alive. A clot traveling up can kill you before you make it to the hospital.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Raptorman wrote: Unless Wentworth had issues in the past there would be no way to know about blood clots. They can form and do damage very quickly. Which is what it sounds like happened here. As he said, "I got to play a year in the NFL, who can say that" At least he's alive. A clot traveling up can kill you before you make it to the hospital.
What I meant was they probably knew his career was over after his surgery and prognosis, which occurred before the draft.
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

Apparently Robison got hurt today. Hopefully it's nothing but I always get worried when we hear about pec injuries. So many of those end up being season enders.
From @MikeGarafolo & me -- Vikings DE Brian Robison suffered a pec injury while working out today, per sources. Extent of injury not kown.
https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/598933628937228288
Robison's told teammates he believes he'll be fine, but tests will tell full story. Key player for Vikings and veteran leader on the D.
https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/598933772504059905
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Vikings28 wrote:Apparently Robison got hurt today. Hopefully it's nothing but I always get worried when we hear about pec injuries. So many of those end up being season enders.
https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/598933628937228288
https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/598933772504059905
That would suck to lose that guy....but if it happens the earlier on the better I guess.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

That would suck to lose that guy
Hunter is probably already a better run defender then him. The sooner Robison is replaced as a starter, the better...
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

Pro Football Focus is doing their top 101 ranking right now. So far they've released 31-101 and three Vikings have made it.
98. Everson Griffen, ED, Minnesota Vikings (Unranked)

Went some way toward justifying his big contract extension with a big season for the Vikings. Not as consistent year round as he might liked to have been, it was his big middle of the season (particularly through Weeks 7 to 11) that got him onto the list. An extremely productive pass rusher, we were a little surprised he didn’t rush more from the inside, but that doesn’t take away from his breakout year.

Best Performance: Week 11, MIN @ CHI, +4.9

Key Stat: His 59 quarterback disruptions while lined up on the right side of the line were second most of all 4-3 defensive ends.
83. Shariff Floyd, ID, Minnesota Vikings (Unranked)

This is the kind of player the Vikings were expecting when they spent a first round pick on him in 2013. Floyd only played 587 snaps yet did enough with those snaps to earn the fifth highest overall grade of all 4-3 defensive tackles. Particularly impressive against the run, it’s worth noting that Floyd scored a positive grade rushing the passer to show himself a fully complete player.

Best Performance: Week 11, MIN @ CHI, +5.8

Key Stat: Graded positively in all bar four games.
49. Harrison Smith, S, Minnesota Vikings (Unranked)

Smith continued his ascent to being one of the best safeties in the league with an effort that would earn him the second highest grade of all safeties. While he did grade positively in coverage, it was his tremendous work against the run that propelled him so high in this list. He is one safety who certainly lived up to the hype being a former first rounder.

Best Performance: Week 4, ATL @ MIN, +3.3

Key Stat: Owner of the second highest run defense grade of all safeties.
Note: on twitter one of the PFF guys said Shariff would be much higher if he didn't get hurt.

I thought Rhodes would be in the top 101 for sure so he must be in the top 30. I know PFF really likes him so there's no way he'd get left off completely.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Vikings28 wrote:Pro Football Focus is doing their top 101 ranking right now. So far they've released 31-101 and three Vikings have made it.
Note: on twitter one of the PFF guys said Shariff would be much higher if he didn't get hurt.

I thought Rhodes would be in the top 101 for sure so he must be in the top 30. I know PFF really likes him so there's no way he'd get left off completely.
Analytics is great, but I want production. I want this team to take the next step. It is time to for this team to live up to its league leading 8 first round picks in the last three years.

Hopefully, this team takes the next big step this year. SKOL!!!!
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Demi wrote: Hunter is probably already a better run defender then him. The sooner Robison is replaced as a starter, the better...

I'd rather it be because they have a better guy ready, not injury....but it sounds like the injury is no big deal.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote: Hunter is probably already a better run defender then him. The sooner Robison is replaced as a starter, the better...
I agree. Last year I brought up Robison, and how we needed to replace him, and got my head bit off for the assumption Rick made an error in re-signing him. Everyone said Robo wasnt meant to get sacks, stop the run, blah blah blah, in Zimmers D. Looks like a lot of people are changing their minds on him now (not Demi, he felt like I did about the aging Robo).

Anyways, I hope robo is goo enough, and healthy enough to start this season. Lets see if someone can beat him out by mid season.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

C.J. Mosley - DL - Free Agent

Free agent DT C.J. Mosley will visit with more teams after meeting with the Dolphins on Tuesday.

The Dolphins offered Mosley a contract, but he wants to see what else is out there. Mosley's agent Harold Lewis called it a "great visit," so it's certainly possible he could circle back to Miami. Dolphins VP of football operations Mike Tannenbaum was the Jets' GM when Mosley was on the team from 2006-08. The Browns, Jaguars, Lions and Vikings have also been linked to Mosley.
Source: Miami Herald
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:C.J. Mosley - DL - Free Agent

Free agent DT C.J. Mosley will visit with more teams after meeting with the Dolphins on Tuesday.

The Dolphins offered Mosley a contract, but he wants to see what else is out there. Mosley's agent Harold Lewis called it a "great visit," so it's certainly possible he could circle back to Miami. Dolphins VP of football operations Mike Tannenbaum was the Jets' GM when Mosley was on the team from 2006-08. The Browns, Jaguars, Lions and Vikings have also been linked to Mosley.
Source: Miami Herald
Well, he would be coming 'home' if he signed here.

Brooks Bollinger for C.J. Mosely and a draft pick. Jets definitely got the better of that deal. We could have used Mosely because the depth behind Kevin and Pat was pretty bad in 2006 and 2007. Oh well I guess.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

A little off topic but not new thread worthy so I'll post it here.

Check out the insignia for the Gray Squadron of Seal Team Six
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... .html?_r=0