2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: If I'm not mistaken, he played some DE in college. Craig might know...
Joseph's contract info is available here: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi ... al-joseph/

I doubt Shelton will make it to the 11th spot so this is probably all moot. He's the top "big body" DT in this draft and consequently, considering his talent, probably a top 10 pick. My guess is he'll go to the Bears if he's still on the board at #7. They could use him.
Thanks for the link. Looks like this upcoming year could easily be his last as a Viking if the team wants to go in another direction.
As always, there seem to be more than 10 top 10 picks this year, but I tend to agree Shelton would be a great option for chicago. Aren't they converting to a 3-4? Shelton would make a ton of sense for them.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings

Another good source for cap & contract related info, pretty cool feature is if you click on a player it has a drop box that lets you see how the cap hit varies if it's a pre or post June 1st cut or even a trade.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Thanks for the link. Looks like this upcoming year could easily be his last as a Viking if the team wants to go in another direction.
As always, there seem to be more than 10 top 10 picks this year, but I tend to agree Shelton would be a great option for chicago. Aren't they converting to a 3-4? Shelton would make a ton of sense for them.
Yes, they're converting to a 3-4. That's exactly why I don't think he'll get past them.

Then again, when it comes to the draft you never know...
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

fiestavike wrote: Thanks for the link. Looks like this upcoming year could easily be his last as a Viking if the team wants to go in another direction.

did joseph have a bad year?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I don't think Joseph was anything special. I personally was expecting more. But I believe another year with the Dline, and both he and Floyd will step it up. Im still not sold on Robison. I cant believe some support him yet, after seeing what Griffen can do. Robison was one bad re-sign for the cost. He needs to be rotated in and out, like JA should have been.Not big on Greenways check either.

As much as I want Parker, Id rather go best CB at 11. And I am guessing Waynes. Only what, 31 more days? :lol:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I wonder what his price is? Maybe it makes sense... I realize he may be expensive, but sometimes you have to spend a little...
Especially when your team ranks in the bottom half of the league against the run.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

slapnut19 wrote:

did joseph have a bad year?
He was alright. I was just pointing out that they could clear that cap space after this year with little damage if they want to allocate that money to someone else, or if they are paying him too much to be a backup.

The whole point was that the Vikings shouldn't not draft Shelton just because they have Joseph.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

‏@RavensInsider Veteran tight end Emmanuel Ogbuehi visiting Vikings today, Buccaneers on Thursday
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

slapnut19 wrote:did joseph have a bad year?
Any year in which you get shot is a bad year. ;)

Sorry, I know that's not what you meant....
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@MasterStrib #Vikings signed QB Mike Kafka, per @MikeMcCartney7.
@MNBrianHall Did not realize Kafka was a fourth-round draft pick. Has attempted 16 passes in 3 NFL seasons
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
The existential quarterback!

I liked Kafka when he played for northwestern but I think his upside in the NFL is somewhat limited.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

I always view the 3rd string QBs in the NFL sort of like I do the Equipment kid in High School. His true value and abilities don't lie so much in playing the game, as in assisting the Coaches, and Players. Hell, most of the time, if a 3rd Stringer has to play, the organization is scrambling to sign another 2nd string level QB the next week to take over, or hoping that someone gets healthy soon enough they never see the field again. However, I always see them with headsets on, clip board in hand, and doing something on the sidelines. Its just usually not playing.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

KSViking wrote:I always view the 3rd string QBs in the NFL sort of like I do the Equipment kid in High School. His true value and abilities don't lie so much in playing the game, as in assisting the Coaches, and Players. Hell, most of the time, if a 3rd Stringer has to play, the organization is scrambling to sign another 2nd string level QB the next week to take over, or hoping that someone gets healthy soon enough they never see the field again.

That's because most teams don't take that third string QB position nearly as seriously they should.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Heard last year we had the best 3rd stringer in the game.
He sure looked good against those Packers!

No team in the NFL is going anywhere with their third string QB (or 2nd in almost every case, teams just aren't good enough to overcome that talent drop at QB). Maybe the Patriots or Seahawks could still remain competitive. But this team isn't going anywhere if Teddy goes down (if they were going anywhere to begin with), no matter who's behind Hill.

At least we have a young guy. Would be nice to draft/sign a rookie if there's one out there. Get someone in place to keep around.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings signed QB Mike Kafka.
Kafka, 27, spent last season behind Josh McCown and Mike Glennon in Tampa. He should compete with Pat Devlin to be the Vikings' third-string quarterback. Kafka hasn't appeared in an NFL game since 2011. He recently worked out at the NFL's Veteran Combine, where Kafka and Tyler Wilson were reportedly the most impressive quarterbacks in attendance.
Wed, Apr 01 2015 7:12 PM
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri