2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Texas Vike wrote:
I have the same perspective on the top WRs. If we have a shot at Cooper we need to rush to the podium and make the selection. He is the best WR in this class and is a solid top 10 pick IMO.
I agree. Go ahead and let someone take White in the top 5. It won't bother me one bit
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

This sucks.....
Free agent DT Tom Johnson and the Vikings are still far apart in contract negotiations.
The Vikings met with Johnson's representatives at the Combine, but it appears Johnson will be allowed to test the market. After posting 6.5 sacks in limited snaps last season, Johnson will be looking for a long-term deal. Johnson is Rotoworld's No. 18 available interior lineman.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Wow

Tom Johnson deserves a good deal too, he worked his way through the sewers to get to the NFL ..

I hope we can keep him
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:This sucks.....
Johnson isn't worth more than a 2 year, 7 million dollar deal at best. If he isn't interesting in something along those lines, let him walk. Shamar Stephen and another cheaper option/rookie will be fine.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

We need all the help we can get on the line. The fewer holes the better heading into FA and the draft, IMO.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Johnson isn't worth more than a 2 year, 7 million dollar deal at best. If he isn't interesting in something along those lines, let him walk. Shamar Stephen and another cheaper option/rookie will be fine.
The problem with Johnson is he probably thinks he could start somewhere and he knows he won't start here. I don't want to have to overpay him either. I would like to keep him but it seems unlikely at this point
-Chazz Palminteri
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

SiriusXM NFL Radio @SiriusXMNFL

Free Agent FB @JFelton45: The #Vikings have talked to me about coming back if Adrian returns and I would never close the door on Minnesota.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Funkytown wrote:
Thats what I like to hear!
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I bet Dawson falls because of character concerns.
I would love
WR Amari Cooper
CB PJ Williams
LB Paul Dawson
OG Josue Matias
frosted
Career Elite Player

2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

Post by frosted »

Updated the OP with the Brian Peters signing and release of Charlie Johnson. Today the NFL officially announced the adjusted cap numbers for every team (after roll over and adjustments) and the Vikings adjusted cap is going to be $149,627,960 - after the release of Charlie and the signing of Brian Peters, that should leave us with $$15,962,524 in cap room (my calculation, may not be 100% correct).

I saw the 49ers released Stevie Johnson today (or, are going to). He's a WR I wouldn't mind signing - solid hands, great route runner, and capable of getting open, period. Would be a nice signing, IMO. He's not a superstar, but he's an underrated player. He could be a nice ancillary option for Teddy, and I don't think he'll be too expensive. He wouldn't count against our compensatory draft pick formula for next year either, since he was cut by his team. I doubt it would be a popular signing, but I believe it could pay dividends.

Also, Tom Pelissero speculated in a video on Vikings.com from the combine that the Vikings may be interested in signing Terence Newman to fill the outside corner role for a year. He's really old, and not the player he used to be, so I'm not sure how I would feel about that.
Last edited by frosted on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Steve Johnson ...too much drama from what I have heard
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Steve Johnson ...too much drama from what I have heard
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Titans released SS Bernard Pollard.
Pollard, 30, asked to be released after the season. He's 30 years old and looking for a chance to win. That wasn't going to happen in Tennessee, so they Titans granted his wish. Pollard ruptured his Achilles' in October, but should be ready for training camp. He registered 27 tackles, one sack, and one pass breakup across five games last season. Pollard is a quality in-the-box safety capable of punishing opposing players with big hits. He's a quality run defender and leader and should be able to find work in a weak safety market.
....I would take Pollard as some competition for Blanton. Even though he's 30, he's still playing at a fairly high level. We wouldnt have to spend anything crazy
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Spielman's pro-day presser:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... e2f3cd690f

....I see Spielman reiterated that they won't be overly aggressive in FA. My guess is, it will be very similar to last year. One fairly big name (Joseph), one middle of the road (Munnerlyn), and some depth guys like Tom Johnson. That's fine with me!!
-Chazz Palminteri
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: ....I would take Pollard as some competition for Blanton. Even though he's 30, he's still playing at a fairly high level. We wouldnt have to spend anything crazy
I was just coming here to mention this. Considering he's coming off a major injury, he will likely be a bargain, probably on a one year 'prove it' type of deal. He could be a nice fit as an enforcer in our defense. As an added bonus, he was cut, so he wouldn't count against our compensatory pick formula for next year.

I'm all about the bargain bin this year in free agency. Got to find those undervalued but solid players. The 'James Ihedigbo (signed by Detroit last year) type' of signings.